Negative Recruiting against GT

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/29/top-5-negative-recruiting-pitches-against-georgia-tech/

Here are five ideas that other colleges often try to plant in heads of recruits who are considering Georgia Tech:

1. School is too hard there. You’ll never be able to play football and get a degree from there (It was reported today that Georgia Tech graduated its entire 2008 signing class)
  2. Georgia Tech is located in downtown Atlanta, which is a dangerous place (It’s a big city with a big population, but crime has dropped by 33 percent since 2002, according to one report)
  3. They run a high-school offense (even though Paul Johnson’s offenses often finish in the top 10 in the nation in total yardage).
  4. You’ll never be able to win a national championship in football if you play in the ACC (FSU won this past year)
  5. There are no women there (Atlanta rates as one of the nation’s top cities for young singles, and was ranked by one website as the best city to find a date)

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/29/top-5-negative-recruiting-pitches-against-georgia-tech/

Here are five ideas that other colleges often try to plant in heads of recruits who are considering Georgia Tech:

1. School is too hard there. You’ll never be able to play football and get a degree from there (It was reported today that Georgia Tech graduated its entire 2008 signing class)
  2. Georgia Tech is located in downtown Atlanta, which is a dangerous place (It’s a big city with a big population, but crime has dropped by 33 percent since 2002, according to one report)
  3. They run a high-school offense (even though Paul Johnson’s offenses often finish in the top 10 in the nation in total yardage).
  4. You’ll never be able to win a national championship in football if you play in the ACC (FSU won this past year)
  5. There are no women there (Atlanta rates as one of the nation’s top cities for young singles, and was ranked by one website as the best city to find a date)

I think 1 & 3 are the biggest sales.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think 1 & 3 are the biggest sales.

Except #3 isn't true. We finished in the top 10 in total yardage in 2009 and top 25 in 2011, 2012. We've been top 5 in total rushing yards every year. If they had a yards/drive stat, we'd be pretty close.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Truthfully, I've never thought that #3 is much of a barrier. One reason we hired Coach is that the O allows us to recruit players that other schools aren't after as heavy because they fit with what we're doing. For instance, nobody much was after Laskey, despite a kick-butt senior year, but Tech and the academies. He's turned out right well. We don't get as many super duper stars, but we are, I bet, the first choice of many players on O.

#4 is a problem, however, if you change it to, "You'll never be able to win a national championship in football if you play at Tech!" That may well be true - though we do appear to be working on it.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Truthfully, I've never thought that #3 is much of a barrier. One reason we hired Coach is that the O allows us to recruit players that other schools aren't after as heavy because they fit with what we're doing. For instance, nobody much was after Laskey, despite a kick-butt senior year, but Tech and the academies. He's turned out right well. We don't get as many super duper stars, but we are, I bet, the first choice of many players on O.

#4 is a problem, however, if you change it to, "You'll never be able to win a national championship in football if you play at Tech!" That may well be true - though we do appear to be working on it.

People always seem to minimize Laskey, but coming out of high school he was one of the best backs in the state. Put up huge numbers all while if I remember correctly getting about 13 carries a game.

#5 is the biggest IMO. These guys are coming out of HS with a lot of attention from the females. GT just doesn't compare with the number of hotties running around campus as some other schools. They need to talk up the city life and all the "older" women up in Buckhead. Tell these kids they can date women with jobs!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Except #3 isn't true. We finished in the top 10 in total yardage in 2009 and top 25 in 2011, 2012. We've been top 5 in total rushing yards every year. If they had a yards/drive stat, we'd be pretty close.

I never said it was true. That's the sales pitch tho.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

and of course you should be in the top 5 rushing yards every year if you run the ball 98.65878575% of the time, lol.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
and of course you should be in the top 5 rushing yards every year if you run the ball 98.65878575% of the time, lol.
You still have to be good at it. Look at yards per carry, we're at #11 tied with FSU. That cancels out your theory right there.

btw, Auburn had more rushing attempts than us last year. I don't hear anybody calling for them to scrap their scheme.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You still have to be good at it. Look at yards per carry, we're at #11 tied with FSU. That cancels out your theory right there.

btw, Auburn had more rushing attempts than us last year. I don't hear anybody calling for them to scrap their scheme.

Lets break down what you just said.

Au had 729 att vs GT 713 you are right, 16 more...16..
4596 vs 3891 16 more att for 705 more yards..
6.3 ypc vs 5.5

AU also threw for 727 more yards. and most importantly,
there "scheme" won the SEC and got them to the dance..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

FSU? you mean the NC's? great comparison..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

6.3 ypc vs 5.5

I'm not saying their O stinks or that ours is better. All I'm saying is that their run/pass ratio is not that different from ours. Yes, they pass a little more and are more successful when they do. It's not because our scheme doesn't have the same kind of flexibility. It's because our players couldn't execute it. Scheme and execution are two totally different things.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not saying their O stinks or that ours is better. All I'm saying is that their run/pass ratio is not that different from ours. Yes, they pass a little more and are more successful when they do. It's not because our scheme doesn't have the same kind of flexibility. It's because our players couldn't execute it. Scheme and execution are two totally different things.

BINGO!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cheese, in this very thread where I am making fun of one guy for crediting Auburn's "system" for their BCS title birth, I've got to ask: Is there no limit to your kool-aid consumption? To be honest, it derails the thread almost as much as goobers like this Rock guy!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
We were tied in yards per carry with FSU last year. What are you arguing against?

edit: you were right, we were #11 and they were #10. My bad. They were 1 spot ahead of us.

Point being,
you guys compare stats to teams and this and that but you are comparing a small portion of O (ypc) to the team that won the NC. that confuses me? why cherry pick? compare GT's whole O #'s, D, W&L's to FSU to get a fair assessment.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

6.3 ypc vs 5.5

I've been watching a lot of Auburn plays on youtube lately, Malzahn is a great offensive mind. His offense is very flexible he even incorporated a "Pro-Style" QB at Tulsa & Arkansas St. Auburn has 2 new weapons on the outside this year and Malzahn had the offense focused on passing during the spring. I'm gonna predict Auburn walks through the SEC West this year.
http://grantland.com/features/gus-malzahn-offensive-evolution/