ND vs Navy 2014

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Think this game will come down to has the least amount of turnovers. If we play sound and hold onto the ball and our defense creates a couple of turnovers, we win.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking for us to break out the QB sweep play we killed NC State with at some point this year. Get the defense flowing one way, then send JT out the other way with 2 big boys clearing a path. I'm not sure what defensive alignment resulted in us using that play, but we used it effectively some games and not at all in others.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree. The problem with stacking the box, if you break through the line it is 7 points.

I'm pretty sure they'll start out stacking the box. The thinking will be, "Let's see you beat us with your arm with a RFr WR on one end, another WR who hasn't shown he can beat P5 level DBs in the past, and a TFr WR backing them both up. Will your crew of RFr and TFr ABs handle the talent upgrade the ND has in a big game environment? If one of them does beat our coverage, does JT have the time to get the ball off with our DL and stud LB?" They'll stack their power versus our power, and if JeT and Company can burn them early if they stack the box, we might see a different game plan.

It would not surprise me at all to see them play man coverage on the outside, roll a safety down into the box, and shoot the gaps ala VT.

You can bet your bank accounts that ND will attack our offense. You have to take chances on D when playing us , and by doing that is to attack. It's going to be fun to watch the in game adjustments from both sides. I think both teams have really good O lines , and which teams turns the ball over the most will not win the game.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You can watch the game at the link below

http://noonkick.com/2014-navy-vs-notre-dame/

The defense for ND was not what we typically see. They put 8 in the box with a single safety look against the base flex formation.

The first look was 4 down linemen with a LB lined up at each AB. The safety and the MLB were lined up shallow.

The second look was a 3-4 alignment with 8 in the box.

We have seen these alignments before. Navy had a hard time blocking the edge, and getting separation in man coverage.

Navy was more overmatched by the ND offense than anything else.

Since they have an excellent LB and a really good DL, and with Navy they had 3 linebackers in the middle that were constantly run blitzing and going through the holes left open from a pulling lineman - usually guard, sometimes tackle (per 1979jacket), they may try to take away the dive first and foremost (like Tulane tried to do). So we will probably have to go wide with the pitches to loosen up the middle. Plus, like Boomer said, JeT should have a field day through the air with this strategy. However, the rain may hurt our passing game just as much ND in a really wet scenario. The pitches will have to be taken care of or it could be a long afternoon of them shutting down the middle, us turning the ball over in the wet and slipping on the pitches, and the passing game being affected by the rain. It will come down to not fumbling the pitches to me.