ND facing same challenges as Tech, but we handle it better.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ting-irish-says-all-players-risk-academically

I'm proud of tech, I love that we aren't changing academic standards because of football. I take it as ND going that route, giving up academic integrity for football success. I understand that schools like Tech are ten times as difficult as an athlete, but that is what makes me more proud of them. When we have success, it's done the right way, and I wouldn't change that for the world.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Smart move by Kelly who is probably trying to get more resources for player tutoring and assistance. I didn't read any lowering of standards ...... I agree it's probably very hard to get into ND.

But once you're there they have a degree called "Arts & Letters" which can be the easy way out. I've read where ND has a very high graduation rate (95 or 98%) because that is where students transfer if they want the degree and are flunking out of their original major. It would be interesting for someone to see how many of the football players are in Arts & Letters.

But Kelly is clearly on the right side of motherhood with these statements.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Smart move by Kelly who is probably trying to get more resources for player tutoring and assistance. I didn't read any lowering of standards ...... I agree it's probably very hard to get into ND.

But once you're there they have a degree called "Arts & Letters" which can be the easy way out. I've read where ND has a very high graduation rate (95 or 98%) because that is where students transfer if they want the degree and are flunking out of their original major. It would be interesting for someone to see how many of the football players are in Arts & Letters.

But Kelly is clearly on the right side of motherhood with these statements.
Just a small distinction, ND has the College of Arts and Letters which has several degree programs within it. My brother, an ND EE graduate, says the majority of the football players have majors in this college. He also said the vast majority of students in the college are regular students and it's kind of like the M Train at GT, it is the default path if you're failing out in something hard. Among the student body, the unofficial nickname for it was the College of Arts and Parties.

http://al.nd.edu/majors/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just a small distinction, ND has the College of Arts and Letters which has several degree programs within it. My brother, an ND EE graduate, says the majority of the football players have majors in this college. He also said the vast majority of students in the college are regular students and it's kind of like the M Train at GT, it is the default path if you're failing out in something hard. Among the student body, the unofficial nickname for it was the College of Arts and Parties.

http://al.nd.edu/majors/
My impression from the piece was that Kelly was kind of setting the table about how tough his football team has it staying eligible, and each and every one is "at risk". That is true at just about any place, even the factories. Screw up badly enough and you are "at risk". But as this posting notes, the football players for the most part are not in the toughest curriculum. Kind of disingenuous of Kelly, I thought.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My impression from the piece was that Kelly was kind of setting the table about how tough his football team has it staying eligible, and each and every one is "at risk". That is true at just about any place, even the factories. Screw up badly enough and you are "at risk". But as this posting notes, the football players for the most part are not in the toughest curriculum. Kind of disingenuous of Kelly, I thought.
I think you missed his point, which wasn't hard because of his word choice. He followed his primary statement with the fact that one 1 or 2 of the entire roster would not have gotten into school w/o football. I think that was actually his main point.

That said, I think GT is at an even more difficult spot with admissions. Our guys have to be math proficient, ND guys, not so much.

Btw, Arts and Letters is just ND's way of saying Liberal Arts.

Buzzoff

Georgia Tech Fan
What was Gurley's major at UGA? Same for Chubb?

I was a professor at Georgia Southern for 7 years and I got plenty of football players but never saw any of their best ones. Where do they hide them.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think you missed his point, which wasn't hard because of his word choice. He followed his primary statement with the fact that one 1 or 2 of the entire roster would not have gotten into school w/o football. I think that was actually his main point.

That said, I think GT is at an even more difficult spot with admissions. Our guys have to be math proficient, ND guys, not so much.

It's really nice being one of the media favored programs. I can picture the douche nozzles at the AJC jumping on that "none of them could get in without football" comment as Johnson throwing his players under the bus if he had said the same thing. But at ND, Kelly gets the benefit of the doubt as just showing how much he cares about their well being.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's really nice being one of the media favored programs. I can picture the douche nozzles at the AJC jumping on that "none of them could get in without football" comment as Johnson throwing his players under the bus if he had said the same thing. But at ND, Kelly gets the benefit of the doubt as just showing how much he cares about their well being.
The fact is pretty true about football players all over college football and it's the great hypocrisy. At factories, the vast majority have no business in college, any college, including community college. That's what makes GT unique, most of our guys could be regular college students somewhere, if not at Tech.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Just read a follow on his comments and you are right.

And completely unrelated but not worth another thread, ND fans have leased a big field outside of Clemson, and will bring in power for their big screen HD TVs and tailgate from five or six miles away. Guess they feel there are too many goobers in Clemson, and they are above such, or realize when it comes to tailgating, Clemson consumes all the space at the stadium, and a lot of their tailgaters live in town. Football fandom has become a very strange world.