NCAA votes Yes for Autonomy

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
This may create, for the recruit, a situation in which there is a real financial benefit to attending a Power 5 school. It could be an advantage for teams fishing from the lower end of the Power 5 talent pool. There are quality recruits going to play for Cincinnati, USF, and other "second tier" schools who turn down offers to lower rung Power 5 schools. Under new rules, such recruits may make different decisions for themselves.

The ultimate result is a deeper divide between haves and have nots. It is not a far stretch to say that we now have a new division in college football.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Don't like it. Let the NFL set up a minor league and get out of college sports.
It almost question the need for athletic scholarships it only enhances an institution profile other than that there is no direct benefit.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think I would be opposed to athletes having the opportunity to profit from their image (much like Olympic athletes do). I am not aware of, nor have I thought through, the potential negatives that could arise from that. The positives I can think of are that schools are not paying players (they are students, not employees), and it eliminates petty NCAA violations regarding players selling jerseys, rings etc. Of course, you only make money on your stuff if you are talented enough that someone wants to pay. I don't know.....I haven't thought it through.

I am for some type of stipend for living expenses. Not a bad idea in my opinion. I do think it opens a can of worms if players became salaried.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What surprised me about the story was the belief that this would stop or lessen the efforts to organize the players. Au contraire. Now that the rules have been changed to allow more benefits, the organizing efforts will only get stronger. The big holdup was that the whole NCAA was behind not allowing expansions of player benefits. That ship has now officially sailed.

Oth, what the long range consequences of this will be are way uncertain. I don't know what'll happen. I also wouldn't be all that sure of the ratification of this package as it stands. There's time for resistance to form and I anticipate that it will.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure how this is good for us. Not saying it isn't but my gut tells me it isn't.

Well one way I can think it will help us is with 4 year scholarships (if they make that a rule). Factories cut former recruits all the time. We don't. That helps bring those programs down and allows us to recruit some better players.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think Notre Dame will now be forced to join a conference ... I would welcome them in the ACC !!
It would seem the P5 would now want all on the same page, 16 teams, 80 total schools in the P5 Division, all with a conference playoff with the Champs having an automatic qualifier for the playoffs.
Not sure I'm advocating this, just saying ...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think we are all focused on it from a GT standpoint and how it benefits or doesn't benefit us.

The autonomy was given to the conference. Not the school.

The ACC will govern the allocation of benefits/funds that each school will be able to give to the SA. And it will more than likely be universal across the ACC.

And with being one of the most prestigious conferences, I see no reason why the ACC and all its members won't benefit from this. Again just my thinking.

Last edited:

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone know how this will impact Notre Dame? Will they be forced to fully join the ACC now?
As far as I know, no impact.

They are already tied in to ACC bowls and Orange Bowl, set there. They have made a scheduling agreement with ACC, so set on filling up their schedule as necessary. They already housed all non-football sports in a major conference, set there.

So no reason to join a conference yet.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It would seem the P5 would now want all on the same page, 16 teams, 80 total schools in the P5 Division, all with a conference playoff with the Champs having an automatic qualifier for the playoffs.

This^

IMO it was a major domino that fell today.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Sooo 5 conferences with 80 teams which will essentially create a new Football division. Give it some years and then these conferences will think they need to split up their conferences into smaller conferences creating essentially what we already have now.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
My question is how will this affect other sports? A lot of non-power 5 schools are great at sports that aren't football. Are they now put at a major disadvantage because of what's going on in the football side of things?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"My question is how will this affect other sports? A lot of non-power 5 schools are great at sports that aren't football. Are they now put at a major disadvantage because of what's going on in the football side of things?"

For some, yes. A lot of smaller schools use the football money generated by playing the "big boys" to fund their olympic sports programs. The reality is that if these schools are shut off from the income source, then those programs will wither.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My question is how will this affect other sports? A lot of non-power 5 schools are great at sports that aren't football. Are they now put at a major disadvantage because of what's going on in the football side of things?
I think this is a valid question. The University of Denver has a really good lacrosse program. How are they going to be impacted when some of the other major programs now offer large stipends for their student athletes? Can they afford to offer them as well to keep up? The same goes for a Baseball program like UC Irvine. In sports where some of the smaller schools currently compete quite well, it seems like the football power conferences are giving themselves a significant advantage that may make it tough for the smaller schools to compete in the long run.