NCAA Tournament

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was in school during the Scott - Anderson timeframe. I actually gave D3 a ride across campus one day because I had a car and he did not. I would see Kenny riding a bike across campus.

It is a very different time. Recruiting changed drastically starting early in the 21st Century and has continued to move in one direction.
Truth. Of course the Tech student body has moved in a different direction as well. The gap is absurdly wide now between the star student athletes and the rest of the Tech student body. That is a real disadvantage for GT.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Duke as a school and meember of the Durham community is all good. I have a neighboor at Duke Hospital awaiting a donor for a transplant. Their campus is almost idealic in its beauty. And, Partly because of Duke, Durham is becoming a destination for young college grads seaking afffordable urban liiving.

I think I have a bit of resent that is solely focused on their long time success. It is easy to wish we had something close to that. The Duke fund (based on tobacco money) is incredibly rich and they can do whatever they want. Pay K $9million? No problem. Give a house rent free to a recruit? Easy. That said, if they are cheating, it is so well done that their basketball success pales in comparison.

I always pull for the ACC, but would not be disappointed for Duke to lose next weekend. To Carolina, of course.
Folks here resent both Duke and UNC because we (1) Believe they have consistently cheated in basketball, and (2) when they get caught, they don't have to pay much of a price.

It's a nice myth to believe in the great man that Coach K is, and I have no doubt he is not pure evil incarnate and has many positive traits, but Duke has been paying for players one way or another for a LONG time. All the blue bloods have, tbh.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Truth. Of course the Tech student body has moved in a different direction as well. The gap is absurdly wide now between the star student athletes and the rest of the Tech student body. That is a real disadvantage for GT.
Also contributing to this is that Marbury's stay and behavior while at GT (largely not going to classes, particularly in the spring) left a very sour taste in some important people's mouths and it was largely decided at that point that GT would not be recruiting individuals like that again and changes were made to recruiting restrictions placed on coaches by GT to make sure that they were recruiting players that wanted to be in school.

Fans for years have talked about SAT/ACT scores but those almost never keep an SA out of GT, what keeps them out is if their transcript doesn't have the right classes on it or if it is found out that they are weak students in terns of effort given in the classroom. The first time the coaches tend to see classes are during or at the end of a prospects Jr yr of HS. Having talked to coaches over multiple staffs at GT they will have a list of juniors they are interested in, it is not uncommon for them to drop 40-50% of their recruits on that list at the end of their Jr yr once they see the transcripts.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I recall Pastner this season saying after playing Duke and Carolina in early January that they were both impressive teams he thought would go deep in the NCAA tournament. While picking blue bloods to go to the final four is hardly a stretch, he nailed it with that observation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Looked like Bascot just threw an elbow to the defender and the defender got called for a foul.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What an incredible game! Both teams seemed loose now and playing in the zone.

Of course, these interminable commercial breaks will ice some these players.

slugboy

Staff member
Yep, a clutch free throw and a clutch rebound, and UNC is Coach K’s first loss and last loss at Duke.

It’s a shame they couldn’t have been on other sides of the draw. I know Kansas is there, but a UNC-Duke championship would have been great for the ACC.