NCAA Men's Basketball Considering Rule Changes

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rule-m...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some solid ideas in here in my opinion, especially reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds. From the article the new rules up for discussion are:

Reducing the number of timeouts. Everyone agreed that one of the biggest detractions of the current game is the eternity it takes to end a close one. That is largely due to the number of timeouts granted to each team, both officially (five per team per game) and unofficially (coaches are given a minute to substitute when a player fouls out).

Widening the lane.

An elimination of live-ball timeouts, or at least limiting those calls to players instead of coaches. This would be a move toward FIBA international rules, which allow no live-ball timeouts.

Revisiting the 10-second backcourt rule, which currently allows a bailout for the offensive team if it calls timeout before passing midcourt.

Reducing the shot clock to either 30 or 24 seconds. Brey said he is in favor, and there seems to be fairly wide support for a reduction of some kind – although there also is a concern about college hoops becoming an NBA copycat league.

An examination of the NBA's continuation rule, and whether it should be applied similarly in college. There was not much support in the meeting room for that idea.

No scoring on a charge. Baskets off a charge are waved off in every level of basketball except college.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rule-m...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some solid ideas in here in my opinion, especially reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds. From the article the new rules up for discussion are:

Reducing the number of timeouts. Everyone agreed that one of the biggest detractions of the current game is the eternity it takes to end a close one. That is largely due to the number of timeouts granted to each team, both officially (five per team per game) and unofficially (coaches are given a minute to substitute when a player fouls out).

Widening the lane.

An elimination of live-ball timeouts, or at least limiting those calls to players instead of coaches. This would be a move toward FIBA international rules, which allow no live-ball timeouts.

Revisiting the 10-second backcourt rule, which currently allows a bailout for the offensive team if it calls timeout before passing midcourt.

Reducing the shot clock to either 30 or 24 seconds. Brey said he is in favor, and there seems to be fairly wide support for a reduction of some kind – although there also is a concern about college hoops becoming an NBA copycat league.

An examination of the NBA's continuation rule, and whether it should be applied similarly in college. There was not much support in the meeting room for that idea.

No scoring on a charge. Baskets off a charge are waved off in every level of basketball except college.
I wasnt even aware that they gave teams points when called for a charge. Thats an obvious change IMO. Reduce the shot clock to 30 and make the players call liveball timeouts. Dont take it away completely. I dont see 5 TOs being too many at all..

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I wasnt even aware that they gave teams points when called for a charge. Thats an obvious change IMO. Reduce the shot clock to 30 and make the players call liveball timeouts. Dont take it away completely. I dont see 5 TOs being too many at all..

Currently points are counted only if the shooter releases the ball before making contact with the defender. You really don't see it much as it is now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Could live with a 30 second clock... Glad the continuation rule had limited if any real traction. Just don't want to see the NBA poop in college ball.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Please find a way to reduce the number of timeouts used at the end of games. College basketball is a great game until the last 2 minutes...when it becomes a free-throw shooting time out fest!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
very interesting.. will be cool to see how the transition into and out of the exhibition games affects the offenses. Unfortunately I suspect we will see normal offensive sets till about 5 seconds then tons of jacked up shots.

Don't think coaches are going to want to mess with the flow and timing of sets to have to adjust back at the jump of the season.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
very interesting.. will be cool to see how the transition into and out of the exhibition games affects the offenses. Unfortunately I suspect we will see normal offensive sets till about 5 seconds then tons of jacked up shots.

Don't think coaches are going to want to mess with the flow and timing of sets to have to adjust back at the jump of the season.

NBA (MONEY!) may think different and/or have some kind of impact or say.