NCAA fines or suspensions for flops?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So the NBA began fining player for flops a few years ago. Should the NCAA have a rule to fine coaches or suspend players?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
No. The refs need to learn to do their job and recognize a flop when they see it and call a blocking foul. Flopping is a skill and part of the game similar to punters pretending to get nailed during a punt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL - Who would pay the fine? The player or coach K???

/

My question assumed that, per NBA, that flopping was not part of the game and was asking whether fining the coach (Coach K) for players flopping or suspend the players for some portion of the next game ala targeting in football would be a better punishment.

Gibson

Georgia Tech Fan
No. The refs need to learn to do their job and recognize a flop when they see it and call a blocking foul. Flopping is a skill and part of the game similar to punters pretending to get nailed during a punt.

By rule a flop isn't a block foul...... It's part of the game right now unfortunately. By rule a flop is actually a technical, and it's been taken to the NCAA rules committee multiple times as the penalty too severe to call (which is why you rarely if ever see it called a technical). Most ref's call it a block or nothing.

Flopping is the least problem in college NCAA basketball right now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people talk about the game speed and scoring lately, if the NCAA would consistently enforce the hand check rules you would see more scoring in the game.

Gibson

Georgia Tech Fan
A lot of people talk about the game speed and scoring lately, if the NCAA would consistently enforce the hand check rules you would see more scoring in the game.
OK, now you're opening Pandora's box with me.... You sir, are about to feel the wrath of sitting in the NCAA rules clinic being told "enforce hand checking", it's rule 10-4, scoring is down cause of this, the act of shooting now starts with upward motion of the ball instead of when act of shooting begins (yes this really is how the rules read).....

Here's the reality... YES, officials need to be more consistently enforcing contact rules (especially hand checking), from two years ago to today, I feel it's improved but not where it should be.

But here's the dark reality of it... If we call more hand checking and fouls in general... guess what that leads to? more free throws... and guess what... kids today shoot poorly not just free throws, but in general... I worked a game earlier this year and we called a total of 70 fouls... yup 70!!! Both coaches were furious, not at the crew, but at their kids cause they couldn't hit a foul shot... I kept the stat sheet... 21-40 and 20-38 were the made and attempts...

We all want more scoring, but the reality of it is until kids get better coaching at the HS level and AAU college basketball is going to be what it is and likely deteriorate more. Kids have poor knowledge of spacing, screening, moving the ball and playing defense with their feet.... I used to loathe the NBA cause it was all 1 on 1, isolate and go..... I watched the Hawks for the first time this year a few weeks ago.... It was like watching basketball in the 80's.. holy ball movement batman!!!

My long diatribe being.... It's not all officials, officiating is really only about 30% of the problem.... So so much of it is coaching now. As officials, we really are just trying to enforce the rules as we interpret they are written. Do officials get it right? No, not at all... those that say they do are lying. However, any coach will tell you, just be consistent and the kids will adapt (usually they do). Some nights as mentioned above, you get two very stubborn teams... Then some nights, you catch a really really well coached team and it's so much fun to watch and to officiate.... more often then not, it's a combo of the first one.

College basketball is sick right now, lack of fundamentals combined with todays "me" generation fueled by $$$$$$ and AAU has made the game very difficult to look at.

Sorry for the rant, it wasn't personal, I'll hop off my soap box!

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Gibson while your rant is certainly reasonable & welcomed, if I had to guess, @Peacone36 may have specifically referencing Quinn Cook, currently the worst hand checker in the NCAA. He might as well be holding hands with an opposing player during the game. Most questionable play I've seen since Steve Blake at Maryland.

Gibson

Georgia Tech Fan
@Gibson while your rant is certainly reasonable & welcomed, if I had to guess, @Peacone36 may have specifically referencing Quinn Cook, currently the worst hand checker in the NCAA. He might as well be holding hands with an opposing player during the game. Most questionable play I've seen since Steve Blake at Maryland.
Maybe Quinn is just confused and thinks it's football?

I haven't seen Quinn this year, typically guys like him are topic of the pregame meeting with officials before the game.... If it's that bad, then you're right... blow whistle, he'll either get it or sit down... Often times these guys get into NCAA tournament seeing different officials.

The scary part of it all is potentially his back up...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I recently read stats from North Korea saying CBB as a whole has basically shot 69% since the 60's. In on year in the past 5 it was the highest in history at 69.9% cumulatively. Its not just jump shooting but if you have your hands on a guy it makes it much more difficult to get around the corner and get by you into the lane. I agree that officiating isn't the whole problem. The game has abandoned the mid range game in favor of the extra point just a few feet farther out. Last player I saw with a strong mid range game was Redick. Combine that with the fact that you never see a bounce entry pass any more and you are seeing tons of 3 point shooting and turnovers. That is on coaching, specifically in my mind AAU. Chicks dig the long ball.