NCAA changing scholarship numbers

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It already is chaos. Not much else that can be done to destroy CFB except for the factories. This is the unbelievable. Are we back to 200 on football scholarships.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
It already is chaos. Not much else that can be done to destroy CFB except for the factories. This is the unbelievable. Are we back to 200 on football scholarships.
It would not apply to football, Mens & Womens basketball. Those are headcount sports that only offer full scholarships. It would only apply to sports that do partials.

I wonder if this would apply to FCS football, who offer partial.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Isn't baseball a lot of partials. I know golf is. This will put a little more pressure on budgets for schools like Tech that do not have the SEC B1G income. Probably means full scholarships for a smaller number of team members unless huge budgets.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
1651090825861.png

Baseball's 11.7 is long overdo for an overall and increase. Not many full rides for Baseball. But they're out there.

Even if they got it to 15 or 20 would be better than the silly 11.7. 35 Full Rides for Baseball is a PIPE DREAM.
NEVER going to happen or only at the money maker baseball schools like Vandy and Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

That is going to be an issue for some schools and some sports that aren't revenue producing.
But be THANKFUL GT recruits also have HOPE scholarships and stuff in GA.
That is a HUGE Advantage for recruiting in-state and doesn't cost the GA schools as much (if anything) and leaves the majority of partials for out of state - who pay double what is listed for in state.

You supposedly can't count on HOPE, but if you recruit well - you'll know who is going to get it and who isn't to have more partials to float around.
I've heard of some people actually making money with HOPE and a Partial that more than covered school. That is just not cool. But with restrictions of 25% as the minimum partial, you'll have that if someone is getting 80-90% of their tuition covered by HOPE... hypothetically.

I have given talks about college recruitment to various baseball teams and HS programs. Schools already aren't created equal. So that argument is an old one.

Arkansas has an out of state tuition waiver for TX and a few other states which is crazy helpful, Even for non-athletes...(as is HOPE for GA residents).
It is actually cheaper to go to Arkansas than in-state tuition at Univ of TX or TX A&M....

1651090546889.png

Opportunity Vanderbilt and Stanford Endowments help take the sting out as well as the Ivies and their "academic" aide.
Full tuition at Standford is $70k+ but even on a 25% scholarship with endowment, it brings tuition down to less than $15K.
Opportunity Vanderbilt makes it cheaper to attend Vandy than a state school like Univ TN!

1651090601357.png

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I know a ton of SEC fans that complain a ton about Opportunity Vandy.

It would be interesting to see if a group went all in for NIL for a baseball program.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Isn't baseball a lot of partials. I know golf is. This will put a little more pressure on budgets for schools like Tech that do not have the SEC B1G income. Probably means full scholarships for a smaller number of team members unless huge budgets.
There are some sports at Tech, such as Golf, that are fully endowed and have been for quite some time.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are some sports at Tech, such as Golf, that are fully endowed and have been for quite some time.
Currently allowed to have 4.5 scholarships per golf team. They usually get split up among some players. I like the idea of allowing more on full scholarships. Kids from GA would all likely be on the Hope for tuition. I would assume there would be a total limit but who can figure what the NCAA will do these days. The golf team is very well funded and deserves it based on their performance.