Ncaa chances

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The NCAA says they publish the 1st NET ranking in December, but it is not yet available online. That is the only ranking tool the selection committee uses. While the Ken Pom rankings are very useful for fans, I do not think they play a role in the actual selection process. @RamblinRed posted detailed commentaries last year that were very useful in understanding how teams are selected. Maybe he will chime in again.

You can also read this from the NCAA:

Here is an explanation of how the NET rankings are developed:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

angry clint eastwood GIF

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yea, its either very early, or the formula they use is full of ****, or a combination of both. Think about what your eyes have told you about the quality of some of these teams:
#60: Florida State
#69: Wake Forest
#115: Duke

I wouldn't publish something that embarrassing if I were them.
Haha this is the problem with equations looking to provide order to a chaotic environment. It'll clean up with more data, but this year is going to be jacked up anyway you slice it. Look at the Football rankings, Clemson getting waxed by a 6 win team? #CovidCrazy

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
As of Jan 12 Lunardi doesn't have us anywhere in his brackets. Including not in the 8 on the outside looking in. Work to do starts Saturday.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also big move in the NET rankings, jumping from 70 up to 58

1611235551866.png

3-1 in quad 2 games is a great start. Need to pick off some top 75 teams on the road to grab quad 1 wins, otherwise UVA at home on Feb 10 could be the only home quad 1 win opportunity on the schedule. They are safely in the top 30 (quad 1 win criteria for a home game), whereas FSU is teetering (Jan 30 rematch at McCamish).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also big move in the NET rankings, jumping from 70 up to 58

View attachment 9746

3-1 in quad 2 games is a great start. Need to pick off some top 75 teams on the road to grab quad 1 wins, otherwise UVA at home on Feb 10 could be the only home quad 1 win opportunity on the schedule. They are safely in the top 30 (quad 1 win criteria for a home game), whereas FSU is teetering (Jan 30 rematch at McCamish).

GA State loss, although it hurt our in state pride, doesn't look terrible from a Quad perspective.

I'll feel a LOT safer about our NCAAT chances if we can get our rank down to the low 40's/mid to high 30's. We'll have the opportunity to do just that over the next 6 games.