NCAA Baseball Attendance

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sigh, until we start doing better, this will probably continue but still be low compared to other Top 25 type programs. The point is made of the directly inverse relationship between having a local #MLB team and most college baseball crowd sizes. Also cold weather sites play a part, but most cold weather teams go on the road to start the season.

This validates to me why D1 Baseball has a regular subscription and to get SEC specific, it's additional. Where the money is.

This guy has a lot of football stats in a similar format.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The college baseball schedule is just not conducive for drawing fans to RCS. The cold weather with 4pm starts on work days in the beginning of the season make it near impossible for anyone to get to the game unless they have a specific reason to go ie: they have a son/brother/nephew/grandson/etc. playing, their job is to watch college baseball games as a scout, agent, or reporter, or they’re just retired with nothing else to do. Midweeks and early season OOC (save UGA) weekends just aren’t enticing enough for people to make plans to fight Atlanta traffic and try to find parking on campus for a game. Especially not while kids are still in school.

Where Tech can and should be better for attendance is the late season conference weekends. The temperatures get into the 70s & 80s so gametimes are later in the day and it’s amazingly beautiful out at the ballpark, and kids start getting out of school so it’s something for parents to take their kids to. A lot of that will come with winning and actually making it to the nationally broadcast Supers and maybe to Omaha. Vandy is in a similar position as Tech where they struggle to draw fans early in the season for many of the same reasons Tech does. But when conference play starts their small-ish stadium is packed. If Tech starts showing progress towards becoming a Vandy-like program we’ll start to see attendance trends like they do.

People talk about GT football being a sleeping giant, which maybe it is. Probably more like a sleeping Shaquille O’Neal, really big but far from a giant. GT baseball on the other hand, now that’s a sleeping Titan. Something that could be colossal. The student attendance has been much better in recent years which is a good step. Now we just need the program to take that step back into the national spotlight. GT should dominate UGA in baseball and basketball. Give the sidewalk fans something to consider. There’s a ton of kids in the metro Atlanta area that would probably love to come to GT games if we were nationally dominant, and even the dumbest mutt fan dads would see that driving 30 minutes from Kennesaw to Midtown is easier than driving an hour and a half to the cesspool.

Long story short: win and they will come.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The college baseball schedule is just not conducive for drawing fans to RCS. The cold weather with 4pm starts on work days in the beginning of the season make it near impossible for anyone to get to the game unless they have a specific reason to go ie: they have a son/brother/nephew/grandson/etc. playing, their job is to watch college baseball games as a scout, agent, or reporter, or they’re just retired with nothing else to do. Midweeks and early season OOC (save UGA) weekends just aren’t enticing enough for people to make plans to fight Atlanta traffic and try to find parking on campus for a game. Especially not while kids are still in school.

Where Tech can and should be better for attendance is the late season conference weekends. The temperatures get into the 70s & 80s so gametimes are later in the day and it’s amazingly beautiful out at the ballpark, and kids start getting out of school so it’s something for parents to take their kids to. A lot of that will come with winning and actually making it to the nationally broadcast Supers and maybe to Omaha. Vandy is in a similar position as Tech where they struggle to draw fans early in the season for many of the same reasons Tech does. But when conference play starts their small-ish stadium is packed. If Tech starts showing progress towards becoming a Vandy-like program we’ll start to see attendance trends like they do.

People talk about GT football being a sleeping giant, which maybe it is. Probably more like a sleeping Shaquille O’Neal, really big but far from a giant. GT baseball on the other hand, now that’s a sleeping Titan. Something that could be colossal. The student attendance has been much better in recent years which is a good step. Now we just need the program to take that step back into the national spotlight. GT should dominate UGA in baseball and basketball. Give the sidewalk fans something to consider. There’s a ton of kids in the metro Atlanta area that would probably love to come to GT games if we were nationally dominant, and even the dumbest mutt fan dads would see that driving 30 minutes from Kennesaw to Midtown is easier than driving an hour and a half to the cesspool.

Long story short: win and they will come.
You make some good points but I have to disagree with a few things. For many years I made the trip from Buford down to the games, first taking my son when he was younger and then later my grandson. First, parking is easy. You just park in the building across the street in the Klaus parking deck. It only costs a few dollars and always has available parking.

You seem to have no interest in OOC games outside of UGA. I go to the games to see Tech's new players and how the returning players have progressed more than worrying about who the opposition is. But to your point, some of those lesser known opponents have excellent players including pitchers that are fun to watch as well. Sure it may be more exciting to take on the bigger named opponents, but as a baseball junkie I enjoy watching us play anyone.

As far as traffic being a determining factor as to whether or not you go to a game....when does Atlanta not have traffic? I understand if you have a job that prohibits you from being able to make a game in time. But if not, you just plan around the traffic like every resident of the Atlanta area knows all too well. You leave earlier if you can. I personally never had any trouble waiting in traffic if I had to in order to watch my Jackets play.

As you mentioned, winning will always draw better crowds whether we retaking about Tech or any other place that competes for the entertainment crowds. Some places, like a lot of the SEC parks, are college towns where there is little else to do but go watch your local team play. That's not the case in places like Atlanta, Miami etc. Ultimately, you are spot on when you speak about the potential of the Yellow Jackets. And that comes with winning. I am old enough to remember CDH's early teams with players like Garciapara, Varitek, Brown, Payton, Wieters, Texiera....the list goes on and on. The crowds were big (though the stadium was much smaller then) and loud. Given the fact the Rusty C is one of the most beautiful venues in all of college baseball with the backdrop of midtown Atlanta and the most pristine field in all of college baseball. Where you sit so close to the players on the field and only pay a few dollars to get in. Start winning more regularly and I am confident the attendance numbers will return.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You seem to have no interest in OOC games outside of UGA.
Very far from the truth. I’ve probably been to more GT baseball games than a lot of Georgia fans can even count to. Been in the dugout for a fair share.

As for the rest, none of my post were reasons why I wouldn’t attend a game. They were reasons why others wouldn’t attend a game. Reasons/excuses that I’ve heard multiple times from multiple different people of varying levels of fandom.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You guys are lucky being near the stadium. Being 600 miles away makes it more difficult, not to say expensive for lodging and food.

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy season tickets this year. Last time I did it, I went one weekend series and gave away the seats for two others. They were available for free and great seats behind home plate (visible from some center filed camera shots). I don't mind the cost as much as having prime seats that aren't available to be filled and make the stadium look emptier than it would if those seats were filled from non-televised areas.

For me, it was depressing to see the quality of OOC play we have this year. I wanted to go to opening weekend again. Plus, I'm fully in the "show me" mode for the team and won't press the "I believe" button till I see a reason to do that. I think our players have gotten better in the off season and we have done very well in the portal / Fr looking at the expected starting lineup from fall ball starters. I also expect that other ACC teams have improved; every year college athletes get better and the portal has allowed for the best athletes to transfer to where they will get more playing time. Good for the players and quality of the college game.

I expect to go to the @UVa series (100 miles away) and the @UNC series. And the regional / CWS games we play in of course. Maybe fly down for a weekend series in ATL; but not the first four which are Radford (298 rpi last year), Cornell (281), uGag (split in three areas) and Youngstown State (255). Just watch those on ACCNX part time. To me, the quality of the opponent matters since it shows the quality of the pitching more and we'll be gifted fewer unearned runs. But IIWII.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Very far from the truth. I’ve probably been to more GT baseball games than a lot of Georgia fans can even count to. Been in the dugout for a fair share.

As for the rest, none of my post were reasons why I wouldn’t attend a game. They were reasons why others wouldn’t attend a game. Reasons/excuses that I’ve heard multiple times from multiple different people of varying levels of fandom.
My apologies for directing some of the response in your direction. I was trying to point out the flaws in some of the reasons not to go to the games. It sounds like some of the people who shared those reasons didn't want to go to the games anyway and were just searching for reasons why. When people tell me they don't want to go to some of the early season games because it's too cold, I remind them that cold weather didn't stop them from going to the football games that had similar weather. Ditto for the traffic. I remember when our annual Thursday night games were packed back in the early PJ years. Traffic didn't keep them from going to those games.

And Navy I hear ya. I now live even further away than you are. I was able to make one football game and a few baseball games this past year. Thankful for the ACCN and ACCN+ networks that allow me to watch virtually every Tech game. Even though I live out west now our local CW channel carries the ACC broadcasts so I don't miss those Tech games either.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm also a far away fan who hasn't been to a home baseball game in an embarrassing long time. I find this "issue" fascinating & complicated. Winning certainly helps but the strange thing to me is.... Ga Tech baseball actually DOES win by any reasonable standard... in regular season... which is what we're talking about. There is legit frustration from fans in getting over a hump in post-season.. but the team wins 2 out of 3 games & slightly more than that at home. So I don't see how much MORE a team could win to get more fans engaged.

The problem is getting the non-diehards to come. Those people (in Atlanta) have too many other options. ...and the fact you can actually watch nearly every game live streaming makes a difference too. The ONLY way to see games not many years ago was to go in person.

Go JACKETS!! ...1st pitch right around the corner.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I have renewed my season tickets for the 10th year (according to GTAA's accounting), and will be heading down from Cincinnati for opening weekend! As I have every opening weekend except for the 2021 COVID hangover.

As far as traffic goes, I will be driving 7+ hours to make opening day, so deal with it. Parking has never been an issue with me. The parking deck across from the stadium is usually $5 - $10. Or you can park at the State Street garage. Maybe a little more expensive, but easier to get in and out of. That's where I would park for a game that's well attended.

Go Jackets!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If you like baseball, it's hard not to like our venue. Our games are almost always entertaining. Why we don't get more students, not sure.

Game times are the dilemma coming from out of town unless I'm in the company aircraft. If I'm lucky, work normally permits me one trip thru Atlanta on way home that I can delay return and catch a series. Uber/Lyft from Charlie Brown or Peachtree Dekalb is not too bad. Marta is great because it runs often to the airport to get home, I need no car.

If I'm leaving from home it's hard to make the 6pm game unless I take a day off work to hit the Friday game or leave late and miss the first couple innings. I get home after midnight if I want to see all of Sunday's 1pm game. Makes for a rough Monday. Otherwise I leave about the 4th/5th inning and race to the airport.

Thankfully I'm getting close to retirement so I can move closer & have all the time in the world to plan trips for games. This work crap is for the birds.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
The early season 4pm Friday games are a favorite of mine. I work in Buckhead not far from the Marta station, I can leave work around 3pm, catch the train then take the shuttle to the game and make first pitch. Agree with others above though, the OOC weekend series aren’t going to entice me down on Saturdays or Sundays unless the weather is nice. Don’t care to drive from the northern suburbs to see Radford, Cornell et al.

The 6pm Friday games are a bit more difficult. Do I stay at work an extra couple hours then go to the game or go home and back down? Usually, if I go home I’m not going back into town when the game is on TV. :)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sigh, until we start doing better, this will probably continue but still be low compared to other Top 25 type programs. The point is made of the directly inverse relationship between having a local #MLB team and most college baseball crowd sizes. Also cold weather sites play a part, but most cold weather teams go on the road to start the season.

This validates to me why D1 Baseball has a regular subscription and to get SEC specific, it's additional. Where the money is.

This guy has a lot of football stats in a similar format.

16 years of underachieving has an impact.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
For me weather is a key factor early in the season. I like early season games so I can become familiar with our players, but if it’s cold (ok, if it’s chilly), then I’m out. I blame my age.
Later in the season, my assess is based on if our pitching is decent. If we are walking 9 guys a game and have to score 8 or more runs to have a chance to win, I’ll usually do something else. I guess that makes me a fair weather fan, but I’ve been going to games for the last 30 years and still hope every year.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
For me weather is a key factor early in the season. I like early season games so I can become familiar with our players, but if it’s cold (ok, if it’s chilly), then I’m out. I blame my age.
Later in the season, my assess is based on if our pitching is decent. If we are walking 9 guys a game and have to score 8 or more runs to have a chance to win, I’ll usually do something else. I guess that makes me a fair weather fan, but I’ve been going to games for the last 30 years and still hope every year.
I'm in the weather-driven bucket too - live in Alpharetta area and retired two years ago - travel a lot (@Braves Spring Training all March) but will be at any good weather games my schedule allows otherwise. Traffic can be a bit of a hassle but logistics are pretty easy in the big picture. All posts above are accurate though - gotta win more (ie better pitching) to attract more "on the fence" fans and will always be limited due to so many competing options in Atlanta - those SEC schools are in college towns with captive fan bases (combined with very high quality play).
Gotta add, after trying out Rivals JOL the past two years I so enjoy the mutual respect and civil discussions of the GT Baseball fans on this site - much appreciated guys!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the weather-driven bucket too - live in Alpharetta area and retired two years ago - travel a lot (@Braves Spring Training all March) but will be at any good weather games my schedule allows otherwise. Traffic can be a bit of a hassle but logistics are pretty easy in the big picture. All posts above are accurate though - gotta win more (ie better pitching) to attract more "on the fence" fans and will always be limited due to so many competing options in Atlanta - those SEC schools are in college towns with captive fan bases (combined with very high quality play).
Gotta add, after trying out Rivals JOL the past two years I so enjoy the mutual respect and civil discussions of the GT Baseball fans on this site - much appreciated guys!
Unfortunately, I can't pick and choose based on weather coming from Cincinnati. I make plans and the weather does what it does...

I've sat through some brutal games. At Kennesaw State on my way down to see us play in Miami the following weekend a few years ago comes to mind. I left in the 7th inning or so when we had about a 10 run lead because I couldn't feel my legs. And that was with long underwear and thermally lined pants. If I recall, we tried to give that game away as I listened driving down to Macon to spend the night as well.