NBA proposes lowering draft age to union

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach K is 73 this year. That will be used against him in recruiting. One and dones don't care since they will be gone before he retires. He has had some medical issues so not sure how many more years he plans to coach. Coach Cal has a lot of years left but some of the top HS recruits may go straight to the NBA if they change the rule. It will change the current model.

Will the best remaining players want to not play for the "best" coaches while getting the most exposure on TV in front of loyal, rabid fan bases?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I don't think this is a no brainer help for the college game. The college game is a better product if the Zions, Carmellos, Favors of the world play in it - even if for one year. Yea they mostly go to the blue bloods but that won't change much of anything if/when they go straight to the league. The blue bloods will still be the blue bloods. The college game will simply be less talented than before. And I enjoy seeing Zion for a year - especially iconic scenes where he has a spectacular dunk or blows out a sneaker. I ain't seeing that if he is playing 10 min per game for Sacramento or their G League team.

I don't think this is a no brainer for either the NBA or the players union. While the NBA is already scheduled to be a lot more involved in summer basketball leagues as part of the NCAAs focus on deemphasizing the AAU circuit, this is still a huge scouting and player projection risk for them. And the union - especially the current members of the union - are likely not really excited about the prospect of multiple player spots going to stash development projects rather than experienced role playing veterans. If I am a current role player #9 or so on the roster making a few mil per year and looking to stick around for 4 or 5 more years - no way in hadies I vote for this proposal.

Recognizing I am outvoted by the baying Skip Baylesses of the world who decry the moral outrage of the current system and the inability of the idiot Emmert to be able to put forward even an half arsed credible attempt at defining and justifying the NCAAs stance, this likely will go forward in some form or fashion. Unless the union decides to be the bad boy in this process – which they still may. I hope they do.

Right now, despite the real issues of the AAU circuit and the faux outrage of the sports commentators, we have a system that generally works. The college game gets high end talent that helps create stars and gives it the March headlines it needs. It works as a legitimate screening and development tool for the NBA for those players who have that level of talent and funds the education and fun for those that are 4 year college guys. The NBA gets a better shot at talent evaluation and a somewhat more developed product. Going forward the college product will suffer and the NBA will make a lot of mistakes with their attempts to evaluate and develop earlier and earlier level talent.

The amount of “damage” this proposal does will be determined by how surgical the NBA is in identifying and selecting only those kids who can impact a roster in the short term. A Zion or that level of player. What I am scared of (and expect will happen routinely) is the NBA taking the tact of drafting the 6’6” 180 lb 5 star small forward in late first or second round and stashing him on their G League roster. That is the kid who would make a college team a lot better but instead gets to ride a bus and get pounded by 230 lb 24 year old men desperate to make their last shot at the league work – and this baby boy is standing in their way. I can make a pretty good case that 3 years of paid G League and out is worse for a kid than 4 years of unpaid college. But the NCAA isn’t looking to hire me as the chairman.

Anyway – apologies for the long winded post. The short version is be careful what you wish for. It may not be the panacea you are looking for – for the game or for the players.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The programs most likely to suffer from this rule change are the Louisville’s - the good / solid programs that aren’t blue bloods, offer very little by way of education / location, and enagage in shady (at best) recruiting tactics.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One other dynamic I forgot to include - and one that makes it difficult to believe the NBAPA is going to torpedo the new proposal - is that the NCAA has drastically cut back on the times coaches can go watch AAU games and given a prime weekend to a top 100 camp to be run by the NBAPA. Purpose of this camp is really going to be for the NBA to get an efficient look at anyone who has a shot at playing in the NBA and not have to spend nearly as much time traipsing around the Nike and Addidas circuit.

The NCAA has restricted the time coaches can go watch AAU to one weekend in April and one weekend in July. They are really out to knock down the influence of AAU/shoe driven basketball tournaments. D1 coaches can go to these 2 weekends, 2 weekends of so called team camps which are generally on an NCAA member campus and the weekend in June when the NBAPA runs their top 100 camp.

The system is looking like a partnership or at least accommodation of the NBA by the NCAA.

Schedule if you are interested

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/el...calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf