NBA Offseason: Giddy up

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ok, I get it. NBA isn't for some of you. That's fine. But ya know what else isn't for you? This thread. So ...

go-away.gif

Now, where was I? Oh, NBA offseason. The fireworks are gonna start pretty soon now that the CBA 'n stuff have been agreed upon.

There's a lot of exciting stuff going on with a lot of teams probably needing to make actual moves, not just nibbling around the corners. A couple stories to follow:

HOU
- Westbrook wanting out of HOU - odd reports that ATL made his "list" of preferred destinations
- The rest of HOU's core is disgruntled, upset about deals (or lack thereof) and/or role: Rivers, PJ Tucker, House.
- Harden likely still on board tho.
Paul
- Chris Paul: likely to be traded; rumors OKC has agreed to let him name his destination. Mutual interest to move him (for OKC it's to move that huge contract).
- Rumors he wants LAL or NY but he'll likely have to settle for LAC or some other team. MIL?
- Paul George (see what I did there with the "Paul" header?) - is he past of LAC's plans? After his playoff performance, it's a legit question. Could he be on the move?
Booker
- Rumors he's checked out on the Suns - I kinda doubt it but you never know.
- It's fairly well known he wants to play with Towns and Russell so who knows what'll end up happening. MIN has the #1 pick, could they work a trade to PHX?
Jrue
- Likely to be traded due to expiring contract, age relative to their core.
- Hawks were named as a potential suitor, quickly shot down as NO's asking price was excessive (allegedly). Would be a great fit next to Trae. Size, defensive presence, secondary playmaking.
Oladipo
- All kinds of rumors on him. Supposedly wants to go to MIA, wants to sign a max deal with IND
- Reality is he's only had 1 good year so he doesn't have the cache he seems to think he has. I'm not a fan, plus he's about to be on the wrong side of 30 and the injury bug has come a-callin. Yikes.
2020 Draft
- I'm not a fan of this draft at all but my Hawks figure to be active players that night. Rumors of potential trades up or down.
- MIN has no idea what they wanna do, just about everybody wants to trade down including them (allegedly).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I read that a little while ago. No way Culver gets anyone from 17 to 6. MIN is grasping at straws on that one. Celtic interest is overblown too. Trying to trade 3 terrible 1sts for a lottery pick. Trading the 6 for Jrue wouldn't be good use of an asset (6 pick).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, the fireworks are off.

Paul traded to phx
MIL with the total overpay to get Jrue
MIL with a shrewd SnT to get Bogdanovic from SAC
POR with a sneaky get-better move in acquiring Covington
Hayward to the Hawks, maybe?
Harden to be traded, likely to BOS or BKN?!

Crazy and the draft tomorrow's gonna be all over the place.

Edwards with probably the dumbest interviews I've ever seen. Says, if the NFL drafts him, he'll quit basketball ... which he doesn't even watch or seem to even like playing .... touts his rap skills ... I'd be terrified if he was my #1 pick .... yet rumors remain that the Hawks could trade up for him. Yikes

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Paul traded to phx

Edwards with probably the dumbest interviews I've ever seen. Says, if the NFL drafts him, he'll quit basketball ... which he doesn't even watch or seem to even like playing .... touts his rap skills ... I'd be terrified if he was my #1 pick .... yet rumors remain that the Hawks could trade up for him. Yikes
Edwards will be an okay player. I'm thinking above average but out of the league in 6-7 years. Thinking at 1st he avgs 12points per game from volume depending on the team. Maybe 3 rebounds and 2-3 assists.
This is a draft you hope someone is sold on and you can move out. There isn't one kid in the top15 id be willing to bet on. Rather have draft capital in another draft, or get a true proven star, but there aren't many now a days.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Paul traded to phx

Hayward to the Hawks would be a pretty good get. I'm still of the opinion that we need a lot better big before we can start contending for Eastern/NBA championships, but I'm not sure where we can even find that.

I don't think the Hawks are trading up this draft (at least for Edwards). I think we try to grab somebody that can play and run the floor while Trae is off the floor. Our production drops massively when he's off the floor.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Hayward to the Hawks would be a pretty good get. I'm still of the opinion that we need a lot better big before we can start contending for Eastern/NBA championships, but I'm not sure where we can even find that.

I don't think the Hawks are trading up this draft (at least for Edwards). I think we try to grab somebody that can play and run the floor while Trae is off the floor. Our production drops massively when he's off the floor.
I know we want Rondo, which I hate at first look. BUT if you think of what he brings it allows him to distribute to Cam, Red Velvet, and Collins when Trae is off the court. They should pick up on the scoring when Trae is off the court.

To me getting Gordon is admitting we swung and missed on Hunter being a star player. Taking a low tier D and 3 small forward at 4th overall was a huge stretch, but I get it.

I am unsure how much Gordon has left in the tank from his Jazz days when he was a top 30 player. I'd say he is hovering in the 70th-90th best player currently.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know we want Rondo, which I hate at first look. BUT if you think of what he brings it allows him to distribute to Cam, Red Velvet, and Collins when Trae is off the court. They should pick up on the scoring when Trae is off the court.

To me getting Gordon is admitting we swung and missed on Hunter being a star player. Taking a low tier D and 3 small forward at 4th overall was a huge stretch, but I get it.

I am unsure how much Gordon has left in the tank from his Jazz days when he was a top 30 player. I'd say he is hovering in the 70th-90th best player currently.

Rondo would've been a great add.

Agree on Hayward, for the most part. He'd be a competent NBA vet which is sorely lacking on that roster. Could be even more than that which would be a bonus.

I was never a fan of the Hunter pick but I get it, especially if he can become serviceable. I see him as another Shane Battier which is a good piece to have.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hawks reportedly signing Gallinari. If true, guess they tired of playing games with BOS on Hayward.

CHI trying to move up to 2 to select Wiseman.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And Horford traded to okc
Klay Thompson suffers apparent lower leg injury, severity uncertain.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd be good with Atlanta getting Okoro. Have no clue if the Hawks need a wing like Okoro, but since he didn't come to GT, he can at least rep the hometown team. I've been a fan of his since he was a sophomore in HS and just dominated elite recruits 2 years older than him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hawks get Okongwu to learn behind Capela. I'm good with it. Should be a solid roleplayer. All you can ask for in a draft of roleplayers. Makes Dedmon expendable via trade.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Just now seeing this thread. I am super excited for the first time in forever about the Hornets draft. We've been stuck in this terrible low lottery pick spot for forever and haven't gotten the kind of talent we need.

I wasn't big on Edwards and we've been stuck with enough 6'7 athletes. I really wanted Wiseman because we're extremely guard heavy and we desperately need a big (defense and rebounding blow) but I'm not going to complain about getting someone with the ceiling of Ball. Just now renders Rozier useless.

As soon as we drafted Ball, I had my eyes set on Vernon Carey in round 2 to fill the need for a big. He may not work out but I was all for taking a chance with another high ceiling player there. Trading up for Nick Richards just adds even more needed depth there. Don't know anything about Grant Riller but he seems like a solid pick up as well.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Also mark me down for thinking Portland made the best move of the entire offseason so far getting Covington. Fills a huge need for them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Also mark me down for thinking Portland made the best move of the entire offseason so far getting Covington. Fills a huge need for them.

This was a low-key, major move on a couple levels.

First, POR improves tremendously with this acquisition. Second, it signifies the end for HOU. Covington was close behind Westbrook/Harden in terms of importance to their window. If anyone didn't believe the rumors they're looking to trade either of them, trading Covington indicates they're poised to rebuild.

slugboy

Staff member
Hawks get Okongwu to learn behind Capela. I'm good with it. Should be a solid roleplayer. All you can ask for in a draft of roleplayers. Makes Dedmon expendable via trade.
Dedmon was traded for Tony Snell.
Last year, Dedmon was the C when it wasn't John Collins. Now, they have Capela, Okongwu, and Bruno Fernando at center. I don't think Collins will play the 5 much at all this year.
Collins is basically THE PF on the team. There's a lot of buzz about free agency, and there's interest in Bogdanovic right now at wing. Gallinardi seems to make more sense to me--we've got shooting guards all over the place.
I'm not sure what will happen with Reddish, but Huerter could be really interesting this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dedmon was traded for Tony Snell.
Last year, Dedmon was the C when it wasn't John Collins. Now, they have Capela, Okongwu, and Bruno Fernando at center. I don't think Collins will play the 5 much at all this year.
Collins is basically THE PF on the team. There's a lot of buzz about free agency, and there's interest in Bogdanovic right now at wing. Gallinardi seems to make more sense to me--we've got shooting guards all over the place.
I'm not sure what will happen with Reddish, but Huerter could be really interesting this year.

Yeah, I was a prophet on Dedmon. Lotto numbers comin' up next.

Love what the Hawks did in building talented depth. Gallinari on a big but fair (i.e. trade-able later) deal, Rondo to mentor Trae/give playoff experience when the time comes, Dunn to add defensive presence/eat reg season minutes for Rondo, and the offer sheet on Bogdanovic.

Bogd could end up being overkill at the 2/3 but I say it's a good problem to have. We've just gone through 3 seasons with no depth, so it'll be good to see what it feels like to not have the team fall off a cliff when the starters sit.