Navy BBacks

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
For curiosity I was just schrolling down Navys roster and ran across all of the backs that were there , I found that Navy has 2 stud Bbacks whether they are any good or not I don't know but . Shawn White soph 6'1 255lbs and Quentin Ezel junior 6'1 240lbs, They are much larger than ours . Coach Niumatalolo does a great coaching job and seems to do a hell of a job with the talent that he has, In my opinion the run there offense much smoother than we do maybe we should hire some of there coaches or adapt to some of there principles and philosophy's, We might find that we learn a few things

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
The student running it smoother than the teacher. I think all that is qb related. JT will look more like a Navy qb than any qb we've had. It'll make the whole offense look "smoother".

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree the QB is the oil to keep the offense running smoothly. For instance, the past couple years I've commented to others about our A-Backs not maintaining a good distance and arc from the QB as the option works down the line. Rethinking this a little, I see that if the QB is a wee bit hesitant or has his timing off just a split second, it looks like the A-Back is out of position and a pitch might look ill advised or forced. Timing and position mean everything in order to run our offense smoothly. And it all starts with, and keys off, the QB.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the research, but it's tough to compare us to Navy, especially on the basis of player size. Would navy consistantly contend with Miami, VT, climpsmb or uga every year?

I will say I'm very impressed with what CKN had done at The Academy...maybe there's more to player discipline in the TO than we think.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Unless the QB ran from UNDER-ctr in hi school,.it takes 3 yrs anyway to run this RUNNING Offense well-,does not count the passing part.It is HARD tp run this off correctly..

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
For curiosity I was just schrolling down Navys roster and ran across all of the backs that were there , I found that Navy has 2 stud Bbacks whether they are any good or not I don't know but . Shawn White soph 6'1 255lbs and Quentin Ezel junior 6'1 240lbs, They are much larger than ours . Coach Niumatalolo does a great coaching job and seems to do a hell of a job with the talent that he has, In my opinion the run there offense much smoother than we do maybe we should hire some of there coaches or adapt to some of there principles and philosophy's, We might find that we learn a few things
While those two are big BBs..Navy's starting BB is 5'10 215 lbs. His name is Noah Copeland. I think Laskey is going to have a great year this season. He was heavily recruited by all three academy schools. IMO I feel the QB is what makes this offense work. We saw that last year with how bad Vad was at running the offense. While it would be nice to have a bruiser at BB give me a guy with great acceleration and vision

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched him last yr. I thought he looked smooth in his limited action.
I agree with this meaning JT looked more comfortable in the offense. Remember JT run the option most of the time in high school. His HS film is loaded with him running option plays from spread formations. While Vad did run in HS, he aired it out more.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just two points:

First, Keenan Reynolds, the present Mid QB, took over as a freshman and had never run the O before he got to Annapolis. It can take awhile to learn to run the O, but it doesn't have to. Hope JT shows as much affinity for the position as Reynolds did; their talent is about equal, though Reynolds is about 10 lbs heavier (they weighed about the same last year) and a step slower.

Second, a magic recruiting secret works in the academies favor here. Everybody at the academies is on full scholly. That means there aren't any numerical recruiting restrictions at all. A typical Mid football recruiting class has 50 - 55 people in it. Then the coaches see if they can find the 13 - 15 players who can actually contribute and they usually do. Tech has to be a lot more selective and, consequently, runs a much higher risk that its recruits won't contribute as much as anticipated. Hence the ability of the Mids to get the really big BBs. If they don't work out, no sweat. If they do, then life for Coach N is tres good.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched him last yr. I thought he looked smooth in his limited action.
Man I hope you're right. I'm just done hyping a future Tech QB until they've proven themselves. I fell victim to the Vad Lee hype machine and I'm still paying for it. I didn't really see anything last season that excited me in regards to JT's play. He only took a few if any meaningful snaps, which just wasn't enough for me to gauge what type of player he'll be.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
have you guys watched the navy offense lately? It is a modernized version of what paul ran. Its not the same as ours.

One thing both Monken and Coach N have done is adapt the offense. They run sets we don't...they run different versions of plays with more formations to keep the D guessing. we don't. Paul has really been stuck in the mud with offensive progression, and some of the monken tweaks are really great and can work for us. I was hoping Cook would help bring some new thought to this deal. Maybe this year we see some of that.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
have you guys watched the navy offense lately? It is a modernized version of what paul ran. Its not the same as ours.

One thing both Monken and Coach N have done is adapt the offense. They run sets we don't...they run different versions of plays with more formations to keep the D guessing. we don't. Paul has really been stuck in the mud with offensive progression, and some of the monken tweaks are really great and can work for us. I was hoping Cook would help bring some new thought to this deal. Maybe this year we see some of that.
And yet were still more productive than Navy across the board with the exception of rush yards per game. I just don't buy all the fuss about how PJ needs to "adapt" the offense and change this or change that. It's about execution in my mind. Every play is designed to work if executed properly. I'm not opposed to adding a few wrinkles, but I think if we simply execute our blocks we win most of the time with our base package. Here is a quick comparison of the two offenses from last season and where they ranked in each category.

Total Off RYG PYG Total YPG Pts/Game

Tech 43rd 5th 117th 44th 26th

Navy 58th 3rd 122nd 61st 35th

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Comparing our team to Navy is fun, but absurd. It's not close. To keep things in perspective, here are their results from last season:

@ Indiana W 41-35
Delaware W 51-7
@WKU L 7-19
@ Air Force W 28-10
@ Dook L 7-35
@ Toledo L 44-45 (OT)
Pitt W 24-21
@ ND L 34-38
Hawaii W 42-28
S. Alabama W-42-14
@ San Jose St W 58-52
Army W 34-7
MTSU W 24-6

They definitely got better as the season progressed, but if we lose more than one game on that schedule, then CPJ is sent packing and nobody would question it.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Comparing our team to Navy is fun, but absurd. It's not close. To keep things in perspective, here are their results from last season:

@ Indiana W 41-35
Delaware W 51-7
@WKU L 7-19
@ Air Force W 28-10
@ Dook L 7-35
@ Toledo L 44-45 (OT)
Pitt W 24-21
@ ND L 34-38
Hawaii W 42-28
S. Alabama W-42-14
@ San Jose St W 58-52
Army W 34-7
MTSU W 24-6

They definitely got better as the season progressed, but if we lose more than one game on that schedule, then CPJ is sent packing and nobody would question it.
I see 2 teams on that schedule that beat CPJ last time he played them.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And yet were still more productive than Navy across the board with the exception of rush yards per game. I just don't buy all the fuss about how PJ needs to "adapt" the offense and change this or change that. It's about execution in my mind. Every play is designed to work if executed properly. I'm not opposed to adding a few wrinkles, but I think if we simply execute our blocks we win most of the time with our base package. Here is a quick comparison of the two offenses from last season and where they ranked in each category.

Total Off RYG PYG Total YPG Pts/Game

Tech 43rd 5th 117th 44th 26th

Navy 58th 3rd 122nd 61st 35th

That really didn't show up well. Here's another go at it:

Total offense - Tech 43rd and Navy 58th
Rush yds/game - Tech 5th and Navy 3rd
Pass yds/game - Tech 117th and Navy 122nd
Total yds/game - Tech 44th and Navy 61st
Points/game - Tech 26th and Navy 35th

And as a previous poster eluded to, I'm sure our SOS was much tougher than Navy's.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
So that makes their schedule harder than ours... 2 games? And one of those 2 is a team we crush 9 times out of 10.
The comment was made that CPJ would have been sent packing if he lost to more than 1 of those teams. I just stated a fact. Sorry if the fact I stated upset you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The comment was made that CPJ would have been sent packing if he lost to more than 1 of those teams. I just stated a fact. Sorry if the fact I stated upset you.
Whatever dude. You're nitpicking does nothing to refute his main point: Navy's schedule is a cakewalk compared to ours. Do you disagree with that? If so, please explain.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you go far enough back, I'm sure CPJ has lost to most of those teams at some point or another. I didn't think I needed to clarify that my comment was meant in the context of that season's schedule. All I'm saying is that if you told me that CPJ was going to play zero ranked* teams and still lose twice, it would be hard for me to argue that he should keep his job. Like Cheese said, the point is that their schedule is a cakewalk.

*ND was ranked 25 when they beat Navy, but I think we can all agree that their name had more to do with that than their play