Nashville Regional - Vandy, Ga Tech, Indiana St, Presbyterian

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
My final random thoughts.

-great fight against a great team. Offense really should be loaded next year as long as we can find a Waddell replacement.
-defense obviously a concern and now have to replace the middle infield next year as well. Big offseason challenge for coaching staff.
-finally just ran out of pitching at the end. It's a shame that Roedig, Finley, and Chapman all were not able to contribute this year due to injury/inconsistency. Having 2 of them this weekend pitching at their expected level would've made a huge difference.
-hard to be too disappointed in this weekend. My frustration is just even amplified now and that's with the regular season. No way the team that fought the possible national champs that close should've been losing weekend series to Kennesaw St and all those midweek games to the Mercers and GA States. That's what kept up from hosting as a 1 seed with someone like LA Tech or Charlotte as our 2 seed.
-Pitching next year will continue to be interesting. If Archer and Hurter leave, Grissom is your only guaranteed starter. Lots to work with with Bartnicki, Maxwell, Smith, Siegel, Huff. I'll let Mr. Okerholm summarize the incoming pitchers, but sounds like a lot of talent to infuse with them as well. Just can't keep having the self-inflicted wounds with walks and errors.

Still a fun season to follow. I'll look forward to the summer and fall reports.

Deleted member 2897

One last final thought from me. Hard to argue with being a 2 seed when I look at our OOC record. Sucks to be paired with a high #1 seed, but being a low #2 seed basically means we were ranked around #27 nationally, which to me sounds pretty fair. The margin of error on seedings is tiny. If we had been ranked in the 30s instead, we would have been a 3 seed with likely a lot easier #1 matchup. I mean, Indiana State is rated 15 slots higher than us in RPI. 🤷‍♂️ Imagine going into a bracket where the #1 seed is an East Carolina or Old Dominion. Having to play a #2 seed instead of a #3 really doesn't matter IMHO. The #3 in our bracket was much better than us on paper. Imagine the 2s and 3s in that bracket are people like Campbell, VCU, and Charlotte. Could have very easily ended up in an entirely different quality bracket.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Sums it up nicely. Great to see some of the hitters who had scuffled a bit mid-season end strong (e.g Compton, Reid,...). Really showed a lot of fight. Good to see Hall was healthy enough to play (never did hear what his injury was?) But he looked overmatched in most of his at-bats (no doubt rusty). Also really good to see Archer finish strong after struggling the last few starts - he gave us a big boost going into last night's game.
Pitching depth (in this one) and defense (in first Vandy game) was the killer but pretty consistent with the whole season in the big picture - so in line with expectations. Best of luck to those draft eligible and playing summer ball... We'll hope to see some better arms show up this Fall... It's a wrap!
Did anyone else find it curious that we choose yesterday to re-insert Hall into the lineup? He essentially had not played in a game since March 20th. Admittedly, DeLeo had scuffled against Vandy on Saturday, but so did a lot of our guys.

Maybe he'd been hitting in simulated games, but it still doesn't seem like it would be the same has hitting in real games. It just seems like a really critical time to put someone in the lineup who has two ABs since mid March. And in my mind, he didn't give us a significant (if any) defensive improvement over Tres in center and DeLeo in right?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One last final thought from me. Hard to argue with being a 2 seed when I look at our OOC record. Sucks to be paired with a high #1 seed, but being a low #2 seed basically means we were ranked around #27 nationally, which to me sounds pretty fair. The margin of error on seedings is tiny. If we had been ranked in the 30s instead, we would have been a 3 seed with likely a lot easier #1 matchup. I mean, Indiana State is rated 15 slots higher than us in RPI. 🤷‍♂️ Imagine going into a bracket where the #1 seed is an East Carolina or Old Dominion. Having to play a #2 seed instead of a #3 really doesn't matter IMHO. The #3 in our bracket was much better than us on paper. Imagine the 2s and 3s in that bracket are people like Campbell, VCU, and Charlotte. Could have very easily ended up in an entirely different quality bracket.
Perhaps you are correct in that we might have gotten out of a regional had we been seeded differently. but the types of holes we have would have eventually been exposed sooner rather than later. Playoff baseball always comes down to pitching and defense. OTOH, advancing would have been nice for the mere sake of getting that monkey off the program's back. I know there is constant turnover of personnel from year to year but it is worth asking if the players aren't somewhat aware of the program's history in the NCAA tourney.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else find it curious that we choose yesterday to re-insert Hall into the lineup? He essentially had not played in a game since March 20th. Admittedly, DeLeo had scuffled against Vandy on Saturday, but so did a lot of our guys.

Maybe he'd been hitting in simulated games, but it still doesn't seem like it would be the same has hitting in real games. It just seems like a really critical time to put someone in the lineup who has two ABs since mid March. And in my mind, he didn't give us a significant (if any) defensive improvement over Tres in center and DeLeo in right?

I didn't get that at all with that layoff. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Dan the Chemist

Georgia Tech Fan
Here we go…as Wes Durham used to say “0 and 2 and barbecue”. What a disappointment after such a great start to the season. I guess we get Presbyterian next…and then hit the team bus for home.
Replying to my own post....been burned and bummed out so many times with Tech's performance in the Regionals (most famously when we were the #1 National seed, hosted and lost to a "so-so" Eastern Carolina team- YUK!!!!).
These players showed a lot of spirit and never quit or gave up...the whole team held together and picked each other up. Great showing against a great (and complete) Vanderbilt team...we gave them almost more than they could handle in Game 2 of the Tech Vandy matchups! The first game, however, was a real dumpster fire with all 4 Vandy runs unearned.
Wish we could become a "complete team"...picking and defense were the downfall despite great and consistent effort.
Can't wait to see how Parada develops...sure reminds me of Varitek!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wish we could become a "complete team"...picking and defense were the downfall despite great and consistent effort.
Can't wait to see how Parada develops...sure reminds me of Varitek!

When I was young, a Little Leaguer who was obsessed with baseball, collected cards, subscribed to the Sporting News (anyone remember that??), knew the starting lineups of all the major league teams, listened to Reds games on the radio when I had reception, I was a fan of the Big Red Machine in the early to late 70's. To this day, perhaps the best starting 8 roster of all time (or at least of my lifetime)...but their postseason record wasn't what you would have expected. They even had the fielding to go along with the bats with Bench, Morgan, Concepcion, and others who were Golden Glovers and All Stars. Just didn't have the arms. Or enough of them. I don't follow baseball much anymore but some of the things that were true then remain so today.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Impressive Regional Performance and FIGHT!!
Seriously
Given the problems throughout the season.... this was an incredible run and should be celebrated! Won the Coastal and fought HARD and CLOSE with Vandy.
Both awesome battles (could have been better, with less walks, HBP, and errors, but still. Impressive FIGHT in these Jackets!

Work on who's going to be middle infield and defense.
If JHen returns for 3B (Nuke, is he drafting?), we'll be good to go.

TRUST ME, pitching will be DRASTICALLY IMPROVED!
Again, think 4+ MGJrs (or better)
I'm NOT KIDDING!
1623101809110.png

LibertyTurns

Banned

Buddy you ain’t seen nothing yet! You’re 1 year into GT sports?? Hope you have a strong heart because GT sports will make you so happy sometimes you think you’re gonna stroke out, then mere minutes later so mad you’re gonna stroke out. In between, you may stroke out wondering when GT sports is gonna make you stroke out. It’s great being a GT fan, but it’s a wonder many of us make it past 50 with what we witness year in and year out.

Finally, thanks GT baseball for a great start (or is it end) to the year! Loved watching those guys playing even when they weren’t so lovable!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
When I was young, a Little Leaguer who was obsessed with baseball, collected cards, subscribed to the Sporting News (anyone remember that??), knew the starting lineups of all the major league teams, listened to Reds games on the radio when I had reception, I was a fan of the Big Red Machine in the early to late 70's. To this day, perhaps the best starting 8 roster of all time (or at least of my lifetime)...but their postseason record wasn't what you would have expected. They even had the fielding to go along with the bats with Bench, Morgan, Concepcion, and others who were Golden Glovers and All Stars. Just didn't have the arms. Or enough of them. I don't follow baseball much anymore but some of the things that were true then remain so today.
Did you know prior to Trevor Bauer, no Cincy Reds pitcher had ever won the Cy Young award?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Buddy you ain’t seen nothing yet! You’re 1 year into GT sports?? Hope you have a strong heart because GT sports will make you so happy sometimes you think you’re gonna stroke out, then mere minutes later so mad you’re gonna stroke out. In between, you may stroke out wondering when GT sports is gonna make you stroke out. It’s great being a GT fan, but it’s a wonder many of us make it past 50 with what we witness year in and year out.

Finally, thanks GT baseball for a great start (or is it end) to the year! Loved watching those guys playing even when they weren’t so lovable!
Seems like you have a “stroking” problem? Confucius say: You are now ready to stroke yourself out.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

Well, I’ve made it past 71.

LOL

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
You know what, guys? It’s hard for me to decompress.

I still want to watch our guys play this year. I’ve loved—and admired—them so much! Their never quit attitude ... makes me so proud to be their fan, and supporter.

I guess I can wait ‘til next year. Yeah! And I’m looking forward to it!

Last, but not least: this GT Swarm Baseball board has been great for me personally, especially this year. I haven’t posted much, but I read it every day ... and it is a joy.

Thanks, guys.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You know what, guys? It’s hard for me to decompress.

I still want to watch our guys play this year. I’ve loved—and admired—them so much! Their never quit attitude ... makes me so proud to be their fan, and supporter.

I guess I can wait ‘til next year. Yeah! And I’m looking forward to it!

Last, but not least: this GT Swarm Baseball board has been great for me personally, especially this year. I haven’t posted much, but I read it every day ... and it is a joy.

Thanks, guys.
You said it. I haven't posted today, but my current feeling is along the lines of "that's it? How can I get some more?"