Nashville Regional - Vandy, Ga Tech, Indiana St, Presbyterian

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 10638

Not really sure who their "ace" is. As noted, (beating of the proverbial dead horse), Vandy has two guys that are going to go first round of the MLB draft. No matter which one you see you are going to have to bring your "A" game to have a chance to win.

As outlined above, our "dream scenario" would be for PC to beat Vandy in Game 1. It's just that, a dream.

It will be interesting to see who we start. As I mentioned above, IIRC, in the past CDH has stuck with his "normal" rotation in these scenerios.

Either way, "Go Jackets"

SJ
Those are a couple of nasty stat lines. Will be a challenge no matter who we face. Hope we bring the bats.

While it doesn't mean he's their "ace," I believe Rocker is their typical Friday night starter.

Deleted member 2897

Yep, could happen.

GT beats IS
PC beats Vandy
Vandy beats IS (eliminated)
GT beats PC
Vandy beats PC (eliminated)
Vandy beats GT
GT beats Vandy (eliminated)

GT is 1-1 against Vandy and wins the Regional.

Some data that may give you a smidgeon of hope. Presybterian:
1) Held Auburn to 1 run, eventually losing 2-1 in the bottom of the 10th.
2) Beat #3 seed Campbell 4x this year.
3) Went undefeated to win the Big South Tournament.
4) They've won 8 of their last 9 games, with the only exception being a 13-12 loss in the 11th inning.

Well, that's all I've got. 🤷‍♂️ 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
4) They've won 8 of their last 9 games, with the only exception being a 13-12 loss in the 11th inning.

Pretty sure I have George P Burdell quoted correctly... "Whatever girls can do, Presbyterians can do better"

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Do they have only <1000 students? I think I read that in a recent article about their new football coach who's the one who onside kicks 99% of the time.

Deleted member 2897

Just a reminder that Vanderbilt's 1-2 pitcher punch will likely have both of them going top 10 overall in the MLB draft.

Therefore, I think our strategy should be to lose to Indiana State, then beat Presbyterian in the losers bracket. By that point Vanderbilt's 2 pitchers will have both thrown, so then we get to beat them twice while playing other pitchers. On our side, by that point, we'll be pitching with, uhhhh, um. Uh. 🤷‍♂️

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Just a reminder that Vanderbilt's 1-2 pitcher punch will likely have both of them going top 10 overall in the MLB draft.

Therefore, I think our strategy should be to lose to Indiana State, then beat Presbyterian in the losers bracket. By that point Vanderbilt's 2 pitchers will have both thrown, so then we get to beat them twice while playing other pitchers. On our side, by that point, we'll be pitching with, uhhhh, um. Uh. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, and save Hurter for the THIRD ...... or maybe even FOURTH game. Brilliant!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You seem to be suggesting Corbin doesn't employ the best strategy...

...the defending national champions & perennial CWS participant. His strategy is the correct one no matter what seed you are.

When your #1 to #3 is better than the other team's #1, you have that luxury. He would have won pitching 3-2-1 or 4-3-2-1 or ..........

If pitcher's psyches are so fragile that they have to pitch every 7 days, well then, I guess I don't understand. It sure isn't physical at that age. Everyone pitches on 6 days when the schedules change. But pitchers must be like QBs and can't get replaced at their anointed times.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When your #1 to #3 is better than the other team's #1, you have that luxury. He would have won pitching 3-2-1 or 4-3-2-1 or ..........

If pitcher's psyches are so fragile that they have to pitch every 7 days, well then, I guess I don't understand. It sure isn't physical at that age. Everyone pitches on 6 days when the schedules change. But pitchers must be like QBs and can't get replaced at their anointed times.
The strategy is appropriate for other reasons. You win the 1st game... then worry about the rest.

In Ga Tech's case (& the other 2 non-Vandy teams), the plan has to be put yourself in position to be unbeaten when you face Vandy the 1st time. I honestly don't understand the outthinking of this. The way more important pitching aspect of this weekend is how to manage the pen behind the starters. That's where the "hard decisions" will be made. Who starts game 1 is easy & not one that can actually be screwed up based on our current starting corps.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Has Hall always started the ace against the 3/4 seeds in regional play? I guess if you save the ace but lose game 1 then your ace either pitches against the 4 or not at all

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Has Hall always started the ace against the 3/4 seeds in regional play? I guess if you save the ace but lose game 1 then your ace either pitches against the 4 or not at all
I know he saved Conner Thomas in 2019 for the second game. Worked like a charm until there were 2 outs in the 9th against Auburn....

I think other years in past decade have been #1 going in first game, but usually we have been in the 2/3 game in those years.