Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
IPTAY - WTTVBTS
I pick taters and yams, watch Tik Tok videos, and buy T Shirts- the new Clemson booster club.

Seriously though, if whomever make a few bucks on social media. Big whoop. (unless making videos becomes more important than school and practice )
i have to believe there are several companies lining up to try to be the intermediary for football video games. Getting money from that I wouldn’t have an issue with.
But what’s to keep me from creating an e-commerce site, sign players to sell Tshirts and to make it semi legitimate take 5% of their gross sales but then pay them $10k each for their pictures on the website as marketing? Isn’t this just legitimizing bag men? If I ‘lose’ money on this site, that’s just a risk of doing business right?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
IPTAY - WTTVBTS
I pick taters and yams, watch Tik Tok videos, and buy T Shirts- the new Clemson booster club.

Seriously though, if whomever make a few bucks on social media. Big whoop. (unless making videos becomes more important than school and practice )
i have to believe there are several companies lining up to try to be the intermediary for football video games. Getting money from that I wouldn’t have an issue with.
But what’s to keep me from creating an e-commerce site, sign players to sell Tshirts and to make it semi legitimate take 5% of their gross sales but then pay them $10k each for their pictures on the website as marketing? Isn’t this just legitimizing bag men? If I ‘lose’ money on this site, that’s just a risk of doing business right?
Indeed

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Economic theory for college athletes is about to hit reality. How many clubs/bars/restaurants/businesses are in the immediate vicinity of GT and Atlanta? If GT puts out a winning product (see our basketball team), how many opportunities does the star player(s) get? See D'Eriq King for an example. Finish practice, make an appearance at a club/restaurant/bar/business/event, go back to your dorm to do your homework, and do over again the next day. The more social media followers you can build, the more companies will want you post about them.

Will be interesting to see how the NCAA will work behind the scenes to try to reign all of this back in again. They're already in the process of trying to do it. Pandora's box has been opened...good luck.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I will be curious to see is whether coaches like Saban, and a few others with strong disciplinary approaches, will find themselves struggling with players who market themselves personally to the point that the coach feels it’s disruptive to team cohesion.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I will be curious to see is whether coaches like Saban, and a few others with strong disciplinary approaches, will find themselves struggling with players who market themselves personally to the point that the coach feels it’s disruptive to team cohesion.

Many athletic departments are jumping in and supporting the efforts. Kids will realize their value opportunity is what the market says it is.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

They will pull the kids scholarship and tell them they can walk on.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, how many moms/dads/uncles will become "managers" of these players and get out there hustling for gigs? Their focus will be on making $$. I see school being the part that slips. It will be interesting to see if this affects the eligibility of the players as gpas probably start to drop at least some.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So, how many moms/dads/uncles will become "managers" of these players and get out there hustling for gigs? Their focus will be on making $$. I see school being the part that slips. It will be interesting to see if this affects the eligibility of the players as gpas probably start to drop at least some.
And maybe GPAs become the built-in corrective to help student athletes keep this all in balance.

But also wonder if some will enjoy making money so much that they give up sports and become a celebrity influencer on social media.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

This kind of thing is what concerned me more about NCAA rules than top tier football or basketball players. She could have probably been making money since during high school that is unrelated to recruiting or athletic performance for an NCAA team, but wasn't allowed to. I recall a story about a lower level football player who was forced to quit because he made money on YouTube as a personality totally unrelated to football. I totally understand the desire to keep NCAA athletics as amateur athletics. However, preventing a player from making money by streaming Fortnite on Twitch seems a little overboard. (In fact it seems excessively overboard)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But also wonder if some will enjoy making money so much that they give up sports and become a celebrity influencer on social media.
If social media had been around when I was at GT, and I had been able to get a large following and make several million dollars a year, I seriously doubt I would have remained at GT. At that point it is a choice between making a large amount of money for at least a few years and having an opportunity to invest and/or build a brand and business or sticking through school for a chance to possibly make a few hundred thousand a year. That is a no brainer decision. It is possible to blow through several million dollars and have nothing left to show for it in a few years. I imagine that many if not most of the social influencers will do just that. However, if you have $2 million at twenty, act wisely, and continue to make at least $50k a year for about ten years while living modestly you could easily retire by 30 and never worry about money again.

If a student athlete is personally better off by quitting sports and even quitting college, then good for them.