Mystifying/funny article on MSU in Sun-Sentinel

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Damnedest thing I've ever read.

"Using Tech as an example, Holmes said once a tight end gets in motion, he'll be followed by another receiver who gets in motion...
Allow me to translate: "Tech players leave the huddle."

Then, the same tight end, will motion again before the play starts."
"An A-back goes into motion pre-snap."

Either I've translated right or... they've been watching film of not Tech.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
"Their style of offense, Georgia Tech wants to play from ahead," Mullen said.
Can anyone find ANY offense or coach that prefers having less points on the board than the other team?

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Can anyone find ANY offense or coach that prefers having less points on the board than the other team?

Yeah it's a total myth. If your defense gives up a lead to an opponent, a time-consuming scoring drive of your own can be just what the doctor ordered. The only reason a trailing team would want to pass more in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter is to try to increase the overall # of plays run by both teams, like introducing complications in a chess game when you're down material. But if you feel like you have to score on the next possession, why not run whatever plays you're confident in? Say there's 7:30 left in the 3rd quarter and you're down by a touchdown. Would you rather kick a field goal after a 1-minute drive, or hold the ball for 7 minutes and tie it going into the 4th?

Now if a team can't complete passes or run a simple hurry-up offense, do they suffer in a 2-minute scenario? Absolutely, but it's kind of a separate issue.

I think the implication is that the ground game is more about field position/ball control and when you need points, passing is the only way. It's an NFL mentality. The SEC is coached like a minor pro league, with the exception of Auburn.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Yellow Jackets' quarterback Justin Thomas ... [is] small and he hides behind the offensive line. The line cuts so he can see. "
..NOW I understand why we block that way! :rolleyes:
What's nice is our ability to drive block this year. If the DL sits back to avoid the cut, we'll just steam roll them like we did the mutts.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
AB are lined up in offset TE spots. For sure....i mean in traditional offense this would be a TE location, off the butt of the tackle is very common key read....and this leads to my next point....

actually what I find interesting is the fact they are using that terminology. This gives me a key into how they are going to defend the non-motion AB...as a TE.

And really the non-motion AB is a TE...he either blocks/goes out and arc blocks or runs a pass route. Just like a TE would vs a traditional SEC offense. So they must be using these keys for the non motion AB by simplifying the terms for their defense and just labeling them TE....therefore easily interpreting defense vs offense's they faced all year to ours by just simply telling their guys the off is a TE....

interesting approach. If they wait on D too long for that TE key like you would in a traditional O we will burn the living crap out of them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ray Beno is the last tight end I remember on CPJ's offense.

I know you were being funny, but fwiw, Beno was still a tackle on that play. He was not wearing a receiver-eligible number like tight-ends and was not lined-up as an extra man on the los.