My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I was thinking about the willingness to move from opportunity to opportunity to opportunity as opposed to staying in one place for a while. Just the general mindset of the younger generations. I see your point.
My dad spent his entire career with Southwestern Bell / AT&T / companies AT&T bought. When I was 18 and graduating high school in Atlanta, he was laid off (after 25+ years of service at that point) and that was all I ever needed to understand about loyalty to companies. It's easy to blame employees by saying they "job hop", but many employers have taken advantage of that severely by restricting raises, promotions, and (as stated) pensions.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My dad spent his entire career with Southwestern Bell / AT&T / companies AT&T bought. When I was 18 and graduating high school in Atlanta, he was laid off (after 25+ years of service at that point) and that was all I ever needed to understand about loyalty to companies. It's easy to blame employees by saying they "job hop", but many employers have taken advantage of that severely by restricting raises, promotions, and (as stated) pensions.
Us GenX move around for different reasons than the Millenials and GenZ. Those generations are going to be split into the Haves and Have-nots, not so many Have-enoughs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have an in-law who worked for a major car company and was forced to take early retirement while losing all their pension. After years of loyal service. Stories like this are legion and we excuse them because “capitalism,” but I frankly admire younger workers who play the same kind of hardball that management used to play with their parents. These younger workers will find their families, their hopes and dreams, and their health, are not suffering near as much.

One can sympathize with this change in attitude and still lament what is happening in college sports, and the loss of school loyalty, but blaming student athletes is short sighted.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
GT adds another transfer. We should have guard play covered for the coming season.

Grad transfer Luke O’Brien, a 6-foot-8, 222-pound guard, announced on his personal Instagram page that he intends to play for the Yellow Jackets during the 2024-25 season. O’Brien averaged 6.7 points and 3.8 rebounds last season for Colorado.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
... Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
GT adds another transfer. We should have guard play covered for the coming season.

Grad transfer Luke O’Brien, a 6-foot-8, 222-pound guard, announced on his personal Instagram page that he intends to play for the Yellow Jackets during the 2024-25 season. O’Brien averaged 6.7 points and 3.8 rebounds last season for Colorado.

Interesting, 6'8 screams PF more than guard.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of the 90’s, personally, I think the 1990 NCAAT was the best collection of overall talent and teams I have seen in one tournament. It was absolutely loaded! I’m sure there are others that are/were just as good or better but in my opinion, that year was the best.
I was thinking of this time period as the peak of college basketball. The UNLV / Duke rivalry was like a past vs the future showdown combined with the good guys vs. bad guys. Those were some really good teams, and that’s just the championship game. Lots of good basketball at that time.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Sports Illustrated story when he graduated Columbine HS. No reason not to really like this young man & expect a perfect fit as one of CDS’s “My Guys”.
Still can't believe they didn't just demolish that school or at least change the name.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
3 nba guys getting minutes
He played 55% of the available minutes which was 5th best on the team. He does not turn the ball, hits a high percentage of threes and had a offensive rating of over 116 on Kenpom. That is fantastic for a 6'8" wing who creates all kind of match up problems. He also can put the ball on the floor, take it to the hoop and finish. This is a great addition

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
So why didn't this guy from Colorado get more PT and score more? Must have some weaknesses somewhere....
Kelly Quinlan, GT insider/sports/expert and journalist explained this in response to an identical inquiry at Rivals, JacketsOnline, Buzz. He provides GT fans with great insight, knowledge, opinions, rumors & evaluations. He is the #1 go to guy for Yellowjacket BB info. The annual fee to access Rivals is very much worth it, just to get his info & takes.
“He was on a very balanced offensive team that finished in the top 50 in the country in offense. So that is why. They had a ton of shooters on the floor.”

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So why didn't this guy from Colorado get more PT and score more? Must have some weaknesses somewhere....

Because his production didn't really warrant it compared to his teammates.

His shooting numbers weren't bad by any stretch but they were low compared to the other rotation players. For example he shot .376 from 3 which looks good. But it was last out of the players who were usually on the court except for their center. Overall fg% was 6th out of 7.

He was a role player who was good enough offensively to not be a liability but not good enough to really warrant a higher usage or higher volume. Probably also a solid to good defender, good at not turning the ball over, and versatile enough to come in for a variety of positions.