My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Bit surprised by Gapare entering but not overly heartbroken about it. He had raw athleticism but it never really translated into consistent performance either here or at UMass.

Does open up a scholarship to take a big even if we take mccullum or pippin.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Four in the portal, one in the draft, two out of eligibility.

We have two signed, and two commits.

Three open slots. And we think more are coming.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
It doesn't really matter, but my view of Gapare's game is that he liked to do two things: Get out in transition and go end to end and, second, to spot up for three, which he hit an an alarmingly poor percentage. I think Gapare played like he preferred to be a guard. He did not like playing through contact,

To his credit, he started later int he season to try to play defense and he was able to block shots, particularly perimeter jump shooters on close-outs, where we typically don't see a lot of blocked shots. He wasn't a weak side defender. Even though Stoudamire said he wasn't afraid to put Gapare on guards on the perimeter, in reality, Gapare had trouble containing ACC level guards off the dribble (no surprise for a 6'9" player). And while Gapare did start to show some competitiveness on the boards by the end of the season, he is very slight and is not a natural post defender.

Although Gparare improved to the point where the team looked better with him on the court rather than, say, Claude, his production was well below that of an even average ACC player. Even with his improvement he was still playing like a jumbo wing/combo forward (which is what I think Sutton will be) and that his feel for the game was still way below average for an ACC player. And feel for the game is exactly why I like Sutton so much as a recruit.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest - his transfer confuses me a bit. He was getting (starter) playing time here so I'm wagering he didn't like the way CDS coached him up? I guess if he's getting 20+ minutes here, he can get 20+ mpg at Maryland too though.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Really wish he could have stayed. He needs to work on consistent play, but chooses route for third new setting in 3 years. SMH. Plus, seems like there is log jam at his potential spot with transfers and recruits. He’s puzzling - could have breakout year, or lose confidence and get less than 10 mins a game. Neither scenario would surprise me.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Just an observation- We’ve not had this much basketball off-season chatter on this GT message board as long as I’ve been here. It’s getting hard for casual fans like me to keep up unlike other years. This is DEFINITELY different. We’ve got good players being signed, players we might have killed for in the past to get them to stay are transferring and nobody’s freaking out, we have other good players under active consideration with a good chance to sign AND there’s likely others in the mix we don’t even know about.

I’ll just say: Damn, what a turnaround. May not end up good, but sure is interesting and not depressing.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CDS is sure making a positive impact. Impressive group of new players. Let's see if he can coach them to a post season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Quick update for Ebe and the firm statement of Lance being back via Jon Rothstein.

Currently 4 known departures with one expected, but unannounced. 4 known incoming. Expectations of seeking at least a portal big and a playmaking guard via portal or HS.

Hunch is that we'll ultimately see at least 6 incoming, maybe 7.

Departing via eligibility or transfer:
Sturdivant
Claude
Abram (intentions announced)
Dowouna (intentions announced)
Coleman

Could go either way (in order of departure likelihood):
Sacko
Gapare
Kelly
Souare

Expected to stay (who knows with tampering though):
Ndongo
George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Kirouac (expected to redshirt)
Onwuchekwa
Updating this, as the portal churns along.

Sturdivant
Claude (seeking medical waiver transfer)
Abram (in portal)
Dowouna (Committed to James Madison)
Coleman (Maybe GA Southern with Swartz landing there?)
Gapare (committed to Maryland)

Kelly (testing NBA waters)
Ndongo (testing NBA waters)
Sacko
Souare

George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Onwuchekwa
McCollum (transfer in from Oklahoma)

Recapping... We've got 10 locked in right now, 2 getting NBA feedback, and 1 open spot.

It's out there that Luke O'Brien, Colorado transfer, is visiting GT & ND this coming week. He'd be a designated shooter type role. We'll see, I guess.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CDS is sure making a positive impact. Impressive group of new players. Let's see if he can coach them to a post season.
With the newcomers, if he can keep Kelly and Ndongo, this is a nice roster. We still need a 5 who can log 25+ minutes. Going into the season with a rookie there is not good. And Baye should not have to play the 5 another season.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Updating this, as the portal churns along.

Sturdivant
Claude (seeking medical waiver transfer)
Abram (in portal)
Dowouna (Committed to James Madison)
Coleman (Maybe GA Southern with Swartz landing there?)
Gapare (committed to Maryland)

Kelly (testing NBA waters)
Ndongo (testing NBA waters)
Sacko
Souare

George
Reeves
Terry

Incoming:
Mustaf
Sutton
Onwuchekwa
McCollum (transfer in from Oklahoma)

Recapping... We've got 10 locked in right now, 2 getting NBA feedback, and 1 open spot.

It's out there that Luke O'Brien, Colorado transfer, is visiting GT & ND this coming week. He'd be a designated shooter type role. We'll see, I guess.
Thanks dtm.. for keeping us up to date . Please continue to do so.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With the newcomers, if he can keep Kelly and Ndongo, this is a nice roster. We still need a 5 who can log 25+ minutes. Going into the season with a rookie there is not good. And Baye should not have to play the 5 another season.
Weird, but I am ecstatically optimistic if we can hang onto Ndongo and filled with concern if we lose him. One player shouldn’t make that big of a swing in my emotions but…… I like the idea of George, Reeves and Ndongo returning and being able to communicate to new position players what the CDS philosophy is. I felt like they got it and would be an anchor for the team. Losing Ndongo feels like too much churn and starting over again with a bran new team as opposed to evolving the team to the next stage.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will put forward an alternative view. With this roster I think we need a 4 who can stretch the floor but also provide some defensive rebounding and defense. That is the hole we have in the roster right now.

I know folks are thinking about rim defense but our offensive system makes the 5 spot a playmaker spot off the short roll. The 5 has to be able to make really quick decisions on the move around the foul line to shoot, drive or pass. Ndongo excelled at that. Ben Lammers, Alvin Jones and most (not all) classic rim protector 5's are not going to work in this system. Ndongo went for 12 and 8 in this system and would be expected to improve that with a year under his belt and a few more pounds on his shoulders. And GT was 4th in the ACC in rebounding margin - so while we did have issues with bigger 5's at some critical times it was not a routine issue. Ndongo's skill set fits really well with this system especially if we can improve our floor spacing (ie improve our 3 point shooting). GT was 12 in the ACC in 3pt %.

Now the caveot is if Ndongo has improved his 3 pt shooting in practice and CDS does want to commit to him at the 4. But recognize he only took twelve 3 point shots last year and when he did go to the corner on offense teams ignored him out there clogging the lane. He has to be a threat out there for the system we run to be effective if he does move to the 4. Maybe he has shown enough in practice / development sessions for CDS to commit to this move - maybe. Or we change to an offensive system more like VT's with a dual post of sorts and 2 guys operating around foul line extended. But CDS has been pretty direct about the system he wants.

Finding a starting 5 who can replicate Ndongo's ability to work the short roll is not an easy task. Either find someone with his athletic quickness, etc. or more likely go for a rim protector 5 who can hit 3's off the pick/pop and adjust that way. But it still means Ndongo has to be a net plus at the 4. Right now to me it is easier to see his benefit at the 5 more than the 4 unless other things change.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Weird, but I am ecstatically optimistic if we can hang onto Ndongo and filled with concern if we lose him. One player shouldn’t make that big of a swing in my emotions but…… I like the idea of George, Reeves and Ndongo returning and being able to communicate to new position players what the CDS philosophy is. I felt like they got it and would be an anchor for the team. Losing Ndongo feels like too much churn and starting over again with a bran new team as opposed to evolving the team to the next stage.
Ndongo was the team’s most important player last season. His skill set is very hard to replace. I feel as you do on losing/keeping him. I think he is gone though I hope I am wrong

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, I would not like another year of having to say, after loses, that
this team is new but will get better with more experience.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I will put forward an alternative view. With this roster I think we need a 4 who can stretch the floor but also provide some defensive rebounding and defense. That is the hole we have in the roster right now.

I know folks are thinking about rim defense but our offensive system makes the 5 spot a playmaker spot off the short roll. The 5 has to be able to make really quick decisions on the move around the foul line to shoot, drive or pass. Ndongo excelled at that. Ben Lammers, Alvin Jones and most (not all) classic rim protector 5's are not going to work in this system. Ndongo went for 12 and 8 in this system and would be expected to improve that with a year under his belt and a few more pounds on his shoulders. And GT was 4th in the ACC in rebounding margin - so while we did have issues with bigger 5's at some critical times it was not a routine issue. Ndongo's skill set fits really well with this system especially if we can improve our floor spacing (ie improve our 3 point shooting). GT was 12 in the ACC in 3pt %.

Now the caveot is if Ndongo has improved his 3 pt shooting in practice and CDS does want to commit to him at the 4. But recognize he only took twelve 3 point shots last year and when he did go to the corner on offense teams ignored him out there clogging the lane. He has to be a threat out there for the system we run to be effective if he does move to the 4. Maybe he has shown enough in practice / development sessions for CDS to commit to this move - maybe. Or we change to an offensive system more like VT's with a dual post of sorts and 2 guys operating around foul line extended. But CDS has been pretty direct about the system he wants.

Finding a starting 5 who can replicate Ndongo's ability to work the short roll is not an easy task. Either find someone with his athletic quickness, etc. or more likely go for a rim protector 5 who can hit 3's off the pick/pop and adjust that way. But it still means Ndongo has to be a net plus at the 4. Right now to me it is easier to see his benefit at the 5 more than the 4 unless other things change.
Going pro would suit me more than him transferring. It would be rough and kinda sad to have to play against him. He was a pleasure to watch.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the outlook of this team changes drastically if we are able to get the transfer from Rutgers, Omoruyi. He is considered in the top 5 of talent of all the transfers out there. First of all he is one of the top shot blockers/rim protectors in all of college basketball the last couple of years. He is a true 5 who will not be sliding to the corners looking for a three. Having him would allow Ndongo to float the floor more and play the weak side shot blocker that he excels at and relieve him of the responsibility of guarding the big man down low. Which should help him stay out of foul trouble as well. Getting Omoruyi will solve that low post problem we have had for years and allow the athleticism of the remaining roster to flourish. If Gapare was looking for NIL money to stay, I hope the reason he didn't get it was because we are loading up on this guy from Rutgers. Gotta hope that our assistant coach from there might have some influence on his decision.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I love your analysis. I just have one point of disagreement and one question as food for thought.

First, Ben Lammers was excellent operating as a facilitator, shooter, and scorer from the high post in a Princeton style offense. I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that he could have been equally good in a high ball screen and roll style offense.

Second, why not have ndongo continue to work the middle ball screen and roll game on offense as a 4 and get a bigger 5 to roam the baseline between the short corner and the dunker spot for dump offs and rebounds? Then you could have a traditional big man to defend the low post on defense and ndongo could match up with a smaller 4 on defense. I realize this won’t happen if cds is 100% committed to 4 out/5 out style offense.