My favorites plays from Saturday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The first play is the TD catch by Waller. The other is the interception by Golden. Both showed guys willing to make the game personal. On defense, especially, that has been lacking the past few years. It was wonderful to see it happen, with our guys winning those personal battles.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I also like our blitzing LB'er keep fightin after getting cut to the ground. Who was that? Debatable that he caused the short-arming and hurried throw which led to the interception

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Rules question: What is legal use of hands by a wr? It seems to me every wr pushes off nowadays and the refs allow it. Sometimes it's subtle like the Waller td above, other times it's more blatant, but it's still allowed. What gives?

Freeze the vid at the :37 sec point if you don't believe me. Waller has both hands extended and contacting the defender as he's making his comeback move. If that's not pushing off, I don't know what it is. I'm not begrudging him if it's legal, but I'm confused. Btw, Smelter is the master at gaining separation with his hands and he never gets called. Good for us.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
DCS, it definitely looks illegal to me. However, notice that the CB is doing the same thing, until he actually wraps that arm up and around and grabs Waller's chest as Darren's going airborne.

My guess is the refs saw the mutuality and just let them both go.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
DCS, it definitely looks illegal to me. However, notice that the CB is doing the same thing, until he actually wraps that arm up and around and grabs Waller's chest as Darren's going airborne.

My guess is the refs saw the mutuality and just let them both go.
On second thought, Waller doesn't actually push off. He's basically trying to find the defender w/o looking. He's looking for the ball at the 5 and actually runs another 7 yards downfield w/o looking where's he's going. He uses his hands to find the defender, then reaches up for the ball immediately. Not sure if that's how that play is coached or not.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
On second thought, Waller doesn't actually push off. He's basically trying to find the defender w/o looking. He's looking for the ball at the 5 and actually runs another 7 yards downfield w/o looking where's he's going. He uses his hands to find the defender, then reaches up for the ball immediately. Not sure if that's how that play is coached or not.

Ref's are much stricter when calling offensive pass interference than defensive pass interference. If the two players are fighting each other equally, they won't call PI on either of them. Darren Waller was interfering less than the defender.