My contribution to the arguments over stats and schemes. (Long read)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
giphy.gif

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
they probably don't have these discussions over on the Alabama boards. Is it because they are A) unbeaten? B) unfamiliar with statistics and the application of data? C) just positive, artsy-craftsy, laid back people who are happy no matter what and don't what to engage in any form of unpleasant debate? or D) there are no Alabama message boards as they are unaware of the internet? When you answer, please set up a hypothesis test and construct a 90% confidence interval around the mean for your choice.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
It's not anti discussion of stats.

Just when every thread is dominated by the exact same arguments I get a little dead brained.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
they probably don't have these discussions over on the Alabama boards. Is it because they are A) unbeaten? B) unfamiliar with statistics and the application of data? C) just positive, artsy-craftsy, laid back people who are happy no matter what and don't what to engage in any form of unpleasant debate? or D) there are no Alabama message boards as they are unaware of the internet? When you answer, please set up a hypothesis test and construct a 90% confidence interval around the mean for your choice.

I saw a photo of the KPI board that Gene Stallings used to win the 1992 National Championship. It was broken down into Objectives, Goals, and Philosophies and tracked by Game and Year To Date. Very detailed.

While this is common today, this is long before Excel was in wide use.

Stalling was taught this system by Tom Landry at the Dallas Cowboys. His view was if you consistently do the right things and work on the areas you are underperforming, you will win.

So yes ... Alabama uses stats.