My 2024 Lineup Projections

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay.

I'm going to give it a go as I just purchased my 2024 baseball Tech season tickets and can't wait to bee there again with my son who plays 14u baseball.
#3rdBaseCrew

My prediction for opening day lineup with the caveat that we may not have the jr/sr players that have been together awhile but I really love our depth, defense, and pitching potential after watching fall ball and listening to multiple interviews with the coaching staff.

C- Matthew Ellis with Tyler Minnick as a backup but I REALLY like freshman Vaughn Lackey and wouldn't be shocked to see him move into the backup role

1B- John Giesler has earned the starter role but look out for backup Carsten Sabathia as I think his time is now so if John holds off Carsten for the starting role, mark my words that Carsten and Riley Stanford will be in a heated battle for DH

2B- Mike Beccheti is a solid hitter and a great defensive piece that I feel makes this team potential for reaching post season. I like D. Diamant as his backup. I believe Demitri will factor in as well in the bullpen.

SS- I actually believe that true freshmen here makes a splash and if not opening day, i believe that Carson Kerce will earn the starting role. I believe Nico Senese might start for other acc foes so I really like this position after losing K. Campbell to the MLB early last year.

3B- Excited about NC State portal transfer Payton Green to start here but make no mistake freshman Ryan Jaros is a player that I'm excited to see what he can accomplish

Outfield- I LOVE our depth here. We don't have the power as past Tech teams have had including last years group of Dispigna, Reid, and Deleo but I believe there is a ton of talent and potential in the outfield.

Okay lets start at
CF- I think Drew Burress will hold this spot all year and could possibly be ACC rookie of the year
LF- Most project him at RF but I'll give my thoughts on that position next but I believe Maryland transfer Bobby Zmarzlak adds power and experience to our lineup
RF- Many people like Trey Yunger (I do as well), Jett Lovett, and Michael Graziano (Think he could be a future star- Crushed the ball in the fall) but I like Parker Brosius to start. He had an mvp level cape league season and I feel he is prime to breakout this year and add another year under the tutelage of coach Ramsey.

DH - Carsten Sabathia, Riley Stanford, or Tyler Neises (Lots of power and potential here)

Starting Rotation
Friday- Busse
Saturday- Hill (He's had two excellent cape seasons so hopefully our new pitching coach brings out the MLB level potential in Hill)
Sunday- Many think its Finateri and they are likely right but I really like Ben King in the Sunday role. I know he holds huge value in the pen but i think if the pitching transfers from Ga State, USC, and FSU along with Dawson Brown and others make a difference in the pen this year, I really think King takes over the Sunday slot. JMO.

I love this weekend rotation and with the potential of great pitching and hopefully solid pitching, I really like our chances to compete in the ACC in 24.

Tuesday Starters
Aeden Finateri
Tate McKee (Freshman)

I know we are unranked but I like the makeup of this team and if Ramsey can mold this team into a top 5 acc offense as he's done multiple times since he has arrived and if our new pitching coach makes a difference....Look out.

Could be a really good season however my expectations are tempered until i see this all come together.

Either way.....Look forward to seeing everyone 2/16 vs Radford.

Go Jackets!!!

#3rdBaseCrew

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay.

I'm going to give it a go as I just purchased my 2024 baseball Tech season tickets and can't wait to bee there again with my son who plays 14u baseball.
#3rdBaseCrew

My prediction for opening day lineup with the caveat that we may not have the jr/sr players that have been together awhile but I really love our depth, defense, and pitching potential after watching fall ball and listening to multiple interviews with the coaching staff.

C- Matthew Ellis with Tyler Minnick as a backup but I REALLY like freshman Vaughn Lackey and wouldn't be shocked to see him move into the backup role

1B- John Giesler has earned the starter role but look out for backup Carsten Sabathia as I think his time is now so if John holds off Carsten for the starting role, mark my words that Carsten and Riley Stanford will be in a heated battle for DH

2B- Mike Beccheti is a solid hitter and a great defensive piece that I feel makes this team potential for reaching post season. I like D. Diamant as his backup. I believe Demitri will factor in as well in the bullpen.

SS- I actually believe that true freshmen here makes a splash and if not opening day, i believe that Carson Kerce will earn the starting role. I believe Nico Senese might start for other acc foes so I really like this position after losing K. Campbell to the MLB early last year.

3B- Excited about NC State portal transfer Payton Green to start here but make no mistake freshman Ryan Jaros is a player that I'm excited to see what he can accomplish

Outfield- I LOVE our depth here. We don't have the power as past Tech teams have had including last years group of Dispigna, Reid, and Deleo but I believe there is a ton of talent and potential in the outfield.

Okay lets start at
CF- I think Drew Burress will hold this spot all year and could possibly be ACC rookie of the year
LF- Most project him at RF but I'll give my thoughts on that position next but I believe Maryland transfer Bobby Zmarzlak adds power and experience to our lineup
RF- Many people like Trey Yunger (I do as well), Jett Lovett, and Michael Graziano (Think he could be a future star- Crushed the ball in the fall) but I like Parker Brosius to start. He had an mvp level cape league season and I feel he is prime to breakout this year and add another year under the tutelage of coach Ramsey.

DH - Carsten Sabathia, Riley Stanford, or Tyler Neises (Lots of power and potential here)

Starting Rotation
Friday- Busse
Saturday- Hill (He's had two excellent cape seasons so hopefully our new pitching coach brings out the MLB level potential in Hill)
Sunday- Many think its Finateri and they are likely right but I really like Ben King in the Sunday role. I know he holds huge value in the pen but i think if the pitching transfers from Ga State, USC, and FSU along with Dawson Brown and others make a difference in the pen this year, I really think King takes over the Sunday slot. JMO.

I love this weekend rotation and with the potential of great pitching and hopefully solid pitching, I really like our chances to compete in the ACC in 24.

Tuesday Starters
Aeden Finateri
Tate McKee (Freshman)

I know we are unranked but I like the makeup of this team and if Ramsey can mold this team into a top 5 acc offense as he's done multiple times since he has arrived and if our new pitching coach makes a difference....Look out.

Could be a really good season however my expectations are tempered until i see this all come together.

Go Jackets!!!

#3rdBaseCrew
Excellent stuff.... you left out the bullpen.??

Oops. ETA... you did touch on it. My bad.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
You are correct Fred.
My thoughts on the Pen

Let me start on the two that I believe are RIGHT on the edge of starting and that makes me feel confident about the depth of our pitching staff but I believe will be top contributors before they hit weekday or weekend starting rotation

1st - Logan McGuire- He was a saturday starter last year but got hurt early. Better to ease him than thrust him into a starting role but he definitely has weekend starter and ACC stuff imo but I believe he will be a big contributor out of the pen

2nd- Tate McKee- This freshman seems to have "it". Coach DH has mentioned him often in interviews. If we have to use Aeden Finateri out of the pen during the weekend, I could see Tate McKee starting midweek but I feel, like above with Logan, he will be a big contributor out of the pen.

Our new pitching coach comes from Ga State along with the Braves organization, and he brings 3 panthers from the portal that I feel will create good competition and depth to the bullpen.

GSU Pitcher # 1- Cam Jones (best of the group IMO). Two-way player and a solid pitching transfer to our team. Possibly may compete with Dawson Brown for the "closer's role".

GSU Pitcher # 2- Mason Patel- Solid transfer to add depth to the pen

GSU Pitcher # 3- Camren Landry (If our new PC likes him and wants him here, I'm good with that).
FYI Ga State's team era was better than ours last year but then again, who didn't have a better team era with Borrell here ....okay i digress

Riley Stanford- He seems to finally be back regarding his velocity from his injury. He was a top notch recruit as an outfielder but go back and look at his perfect game rating. He threw in the upper 90's so i'm very excited to see Riley on the "bump"

Dawson Brown- Likely closer. My preference for Dawson is to be the setup man as I prefer closer's to throw flames like R. Stanford but that's up to the new PC

Demetri Diamant & Jackson Vaughn are back again this year and add quality depth and inning eaters as needed

Finally, two very low risk, high ceiling transfers from big time baseball schools
1) Brett Barfield - FSU transfer (One of the top GA HS lefthanders and played at North Forsyth HS so he's a GA kid)
2) Brett Thomas- USC transfer (Big time recruit that just didn't seem to fit in and injuries made his time as a Gamecock ineffective. Hoping for a Tim Borden situation here. Maybe a change of scenario will help this young man.

Overall, lots of depth and talent to be excited about.

As I side above, my expectations are tempered until all of this comes together.

My overall review is I truly believe this team will surprise many and I just don't buy the D1 coastal prediction of Tech at 6th.

I think this team competes and finishes above .500 in the ACC and grabs a tourney bid.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Okay.

#3rdBaseCrew

Okay lets start at

Starting Rotation
Friday- Busse

Tuesday Starters
Aeden Finateri
Tate McKee (Freshman)

Go Jackets!!!

#3rdBaseCrew
I agree with all of this pretty much. I really think that Jones will get one of the spots in the outfield though. I think the main competition will come down to whether Yunger or Sabathia is the DH. It would also surprise me to see Green at 3rd instead of SS. I am very excited about the new and improved defense.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where are the SAC bunters in the lineup?

We had 8 "successful" SAC bunts last year. That's 1 per 7.5 games or 2 per month. Seems low.

Our opponents had exactly 2x that (16). Seems high.

What's the sweet spot?

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with all of this pretty much. I really think that Jones will get one of the spots in the outfield though. I think the main competition will come down to whether Yunger or Sabathia is the DH. It would also surprise me to see Green at 3rd instead of SS. I am very excited about the new and improved defense.
Green will be at SS. From reading the NC State fan blog they were not too sad to see him leave because of his misplays at SS. The recent D1 articles give a little more hope that he has turned that around. 3B Hall said will be between Jaros and Diamant (split time maybe). Both ranked top 10 3B out of high school. Diamant hit .290 this summer with .324 ERA.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Green SS Jarros 3B King Bullpen only Stanford Pitcher Only Finateri on Sunday DH too many options probably will be situational and match up based but Ellis will DH when he doesn’t catch Diamant will be a back up infielder and an innings eater in the bullpen McGuire will go back the weekend rotation once he is ready.

The outfield is not as cLear. Burress will be the opening day center fielder. Brosius Jones and Zmarzlak will vie for the other two spots. Jones also can play first base and eat innings out of the bullpen. Clearly Yunger Jones and Zmarlzak have the most experience at this level. Brosius did have a great summer in the Northwoods League not in the Cape which is where he will play this summer. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lackey at some point spelling Ellis they seem very high on him But Minnick will be the initial backup Vaughn is hurt we won’t see him much this year. look for Dawson Brown to make the transition to the go to guy out of the pen. how Hill and Busse adapt to starters rolls will more than likely dictate the success of the season.

Many things will change but this is definitely the starting template.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Would love to see Carson win the starting spot. Meet him away from the ball field a few months back and comes across as personable and cordial, not big headed.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love to see Carson win the starting spot. Meet him away from the ball field a few months back and comes across as personable and cordial, not big headed.
Awbuzz

I agree. Carson was a player at east cobb power Pope so I really think he pushes for the starting role at SS

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Green SS Jarros 3B King Bullpen only Stanford Pitcher Only Finateri on Sunday DH too many options probably will be situational and match up based but Ellis will DH when he doesn’t catch Diamant will be a back up infielder and an innings eater in the bullpen McGuire will go back the weekend rotation once he is ready.

The outfield is not as cLear. Burress will be the opening day center fielder. Brosius Jones and Zmarzlak will vie for the other two spots. Jones also can play first base and eat innings out of the bullpen. Clearly Yunger Jones and Zmarlzak have the most experience at this level. Brosius did have a great summer in the Northwoods League not in the Cape which is where he will play this summer. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lackey at some point spelling Ellis they seem very high on him But Minnick will be the initial backup Vaughn is hurt we won’t see him much this year. look for Dawson Brown to make the transition to the go to guy out of the pen. how Hill and Busse adapt to starters rolls will more than likely dictate the success of the season.

Many things will change but this is definitely the starting template.
Fitted,

Didn't realize Lackey was hurt so i agree that Minnick will be backup

Green at ss certainly understand that. I just really like Carson Kerce but Payton is the veteran at the position and if freshmen Jarros is the answer at 3rd, I completely agree with Green at SS and Jarros at 3rd.

I just think King over Finateri in the rotation but , as I said above, it will likely be Finateri in the starting rotation.

Cape or Summer league- Brosius and Hill both shined and I'm hoping for breakout years from both. Especially Hill

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Where are the SAC bunters in the lineup?

We had 8 "successful" SAC bunts last year. That's 1 per 7.5 games or 2 per month. Seems low.

Our opponents had exactly 2x that (16). Seems high.

What's the sweet spot?
If I had to guess on bunting prowess, I'd say likely:

Brosius
Becchiti
Maybe Green

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
King has stated his preference as a set up man out of the bullpen so I think that is where we will see him at the beginning of the season anyway. Can't wait for the season to start.
I think that’s outstanding news and likely that Logan should be good to go in the starting rotation which only makes us a stronger team.

One thing that I truly like about King is he is aggressive and throws strikes. Goes right after batters. Makes for a good bullpen arm.

Main thing that drove me nuts about Borrell managing the staff was how many walks given up. It’s quite okay to give up a solo moon shot however given up 10+ walks makes it near impossible to win.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
King is one of the best middle relievers in the ACC. In a two inning situation, he is one of our strongest options. I believe Logan is being built back up on his pitch count, but won’t be ready to be a true starter as opposed to an opener until ACC play. The entire season will rest on whether the returning pitching staff has made the jump and/or progression needed to win big games and games we should win. We will go where our pitching takes us.