My 2 cents

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm posting this against my better judgement, but will not read any replies to save my blood pressure.
I was at the game and I rewatched it Sunday night. I had a 3 hour drive back home after the game to read all pages of the fire our coach thread. I'm not there yet, because we can't afford to do it so why even worry with it?

Full disclosure: I am a fan of Georgia Tech. I don't care who coaches or plays, I'll cheer for them because they are apart of the team I love. And being in South Georgia, some of yall know the shade we get every day by having GT on our trucks and apparel.

Knee Jerk reaction to the game: We're the same as last year: Missed field goals. Poor blocking. Poor push from DL. Bend AND break secondary. Horrible play calling in the red zone.

After rewatching and decompressing: I see lack of depth at each position, aside from running backs, as our main concern at this point. We came out flat as a majority, which is a combo of individual and coach. I played college ball and never had a coach need to give a rah rah speech to get me ready to play. But it's a new generation of player.

On the offensive side of the under Simms: Bad passing. For the most part, the blocking was ok. Should never have to hold a block for 6+ seconds. The running game was decent. Didn't really move the ball efficiently (missed passes). The fumble type happens even in the NFL, something that can be fixed, I see it as a fluke. Left 6 points on the field with an acceptable miss (the slight hook) and an unbelievable miss (the slip---more on this later). Surprisingly OCDP made good calls.

Offense under Yates: Moved the ball much better. 2nd drive 3rd quarter 2nd and goal from the 2=HORRIBLE play calling. Should have been Mason up the middle or Yates sneaking in until we got the 6. The change of plays was good call (not worth 2 timeouts good but still good), but half an inch out of bounds is half an inch too much. Yates had flashes Josh N, sacrifice it all to win...he did what he could. Play callin was horrible when all we needed was 1 first down, because our OL was GASSED, little to no depth.

Offense: Having 2 rushers that close to 100 yards each is encouraging. Our receivers, Carter and McGowan for sure, got separation, just need to catch the ball and for that to happen, need to deliver the ball on target. 400+ yards is good by me. A different play call here or there could help. Yates should start Saturday and there after, but Simms has won the qb competition 2 years over Yates for a reason.

Defense was decent. Minus the last 80 yard drive and it a good, not great not earth shattering, but good none the less. Secondary confusion was obvious to the fans much less an experienced qb. DL had ZERO push. Qb hurries came from LB or safeties, nothing inside. Their running back had a good game, undersized backs are usually hard to tackle, we know that from our past. Not a great stat line, even taking out the last drive. C Thomas and W Walker played head and shoulders above the rest it seemed. We won Money Down! They were 5-12 on 3rd down attempts.

Special teams: Very Acceptable. 50+ yards punt average by true freshman! Punt coverage = 0 return yards! Each kickoff going for touchback! 100% PAT! Field goal attempts, slight hook on first attempt= eh it happens. 2nd attempt = slippage. SIDE RANT: With game time temp in the low 80s upper to low 70s, why did we have guys seemingly all game slipping? Happened on defense mostly but was very glaring. ZERO excuse on our own field. The last attempt was a dud from the moment the decision to try it was made. On punt block, hahaha didn't even try to go after the kicker.

Following is the coaching staff: Again the coming out flat is is a toss up between the player and coach. We don't know what the halftime speech was but I trust it was not for 1st grade or church ladies. 2nd AND GOAL FROM THE 2 AND YOU DON'T CALL 3 STRAIGHT RUNS!!!!!! ALL WE NEED IS ONE FIRST DOWN TO WIN AN UGLY GAME AND YOU CALL EAST AND WEST PLAYS!!!!!! Aside from those glaring mistakes, the play calling wasn't terrible, very surprised! The DL, idk. Embarrassing. Great job on having only 2 penalties for 10 yards total. Keep recruiting to fill up our depth chart which is very lacking. For the opposing coach, he believed in his team just like CGC believes in ours. He was just talking coach speak. Look at any of the upsets from this past weekend or previous years. same line about tougher/want it more after each one.

For the fans. It was embarrassing to be there and see everyone sitting. If I'm going to sit while watching a game, it's gonna be in my living room in an oversized recliner, not an aluminum bench. The stadium was not energetic, and was even more glaring on TV. Pretty sure I heard crickets, even in the 4th quarter when we had the lead. For a season kickoff game at night with perfect weather, 33,000 is a sad number. For years we complained about noon September kickoffs, yet we as fans crap the bed given this opportunity. The Dodd should have been rocking. Was great to see students in North and South stands! For those who thinks CGC spends all his time worrying about uni combs and other non game prep issues, you're just picking him apart because you don't like him. Flat out. He is not behind any camera, not editing any Twitter video, not using the Wheel of Unis to choose our combo. He's doing the work he needs to do, but like some who study hard for a test, they still score lower than they would like. I even read a post that had many likes that complained CGC took players on a private plane to ACC media days and that he had a WaHo truck to feed the players. We get it. Some of yall just hate him. And that's OK. But, it's easier to sit back and say "I told you so" than support the coaches and players we have. Unless one of yall win the Mega Millions and give it all to the GTAA, CGC ain't going nowhere for 2 more years. Some of his assistants need to go well before then, but he won't. So, that leaves one option: Support the current coaches and players. Cheer our team on. Show up this Sat at noon and for the remaining home games. Watch and cheer loudly for the away games you watch at you local establishments (if you don't travel to the away games). I'll see yall Saturday from section 121!! Go Jackets!!!!!!!!!!!

iluvthejackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm posting this against my better judgement, but will not read any replies to save my blood pressure.
I was at the game and I rewatched it Sunday night. I had a 3 hour drive back home after the game to read all pages of the fire our coach thread. I'm not there yet, because we can't afford to do it so why even worry with it?

Full disclosure: I am a fan of Georgia Tech. I don't care who coaches or plays, I'll cheer for them because they are apart of the team I love. And being in South Georgia, some of yall know the shade we get every day by having GT on our trucks and apparel.

Knee Jerk reaction to the game: We're the same as last year: Missed field goals. Poor blocking. Poor push from DL. Bend AND break secondary. Horrible play calling in the red zone.

After rewatching and decompressing: I see lack of depth at each position, aside from running backs, as our main concern at this point. We came out flat as a majority, which is a combo of individual and coach. I played college ball and never had a coach need to give a rah rah speech to get me ready to play. But it's a new generation of player.

On the offensive side of the under Simms: Bad passing. For the most part, the blocking was ok. Should never have to hold a block for 6+ seconds. The running game was decent. Didn't really move the ball efficiently (missed passes). The fumble type happens even in the NFL, something that can be fixed, I see it as a fluke. Left 6 points on the field with an acceptable miss (the slight hook) and an unbelievable miss (the slip---more on this later). Surprisingly OCDP made good calls.

Offense under Yates: Moved the ball much better. 2nd drive 3rd quarter 2nd and goal from the 2=HORRIBLE play calling. Should have been Mason up the middle or Yates sneaking in until we got the 6. The change of plays was good call (not worth 2 timeouts good but still good), but half an inch out of bounds is half an inch too much. Yates had flashes Josh N, sacrifice it all to win...he did what he could. Play callin was horrible when all we needed was 1 first down, because our OL was GASSED, little to no depth.

Offense: Having 2 rushers that close to 100 yards each is encouraging. Our receivers, Carter and McGowan for sure, got separation, just need to catch the ball and for that to happen, need to deliver the ball on target. 400+ yards is good by me. A different play call here or there could help. Yates should start Saturday and there after, but Simms has won the qb competition 2 years over Yates for a reason.

Defense was decent. Minus the last 80 yard drive and it a good, not great not earth shattering, but good none the less. Secondary confusion was obvious to the fans much less an experienced qb. DL had ZERO push. Qb hurries came from LB or safeties, nothing inside. Their running back had a good game, undersized backs are usually hard to tackle, we know that from our past. Not a great stat line, even taking out the last drive. C Thomas and W Walker played head and shoulders above the rest it seemed. We won Money Down! They were 5-12 on 3rd down attempts.

Special teams: Very Acceptable. 50+ yards punt average by true freshman! Punt coverage = 0 return yards! Each kickoff going for touchback! 100% PAT! Field goal attempts, slight hook on first attempt= eh it happens. 2nd attempt = slippage. SIDE RANT: With game time temp in the low 80s upper to low 70s, why did we have guys seemingly all game slipping? Happened on defense mostly but was very glaring. ZERO excuse on our own field. The last attempt was a dud from the moment the decision to try it was made. On punt block, hahaha didn't even try to go after the kicker.

Following is the coaching staff: Again the coming out flat is is a toss up between the player and coach. We don't know what the halftime speech was but I trust it was not for 1st grade or church ladies. 2nd AND GOAL FROM THE 2 AND YOU DON'T CALL 3 STRAIGHT RUNS!!!!!! ALL WE NEED IS ONE FIRST DOWN TO WIN AN UGLY GAME AND YOU CALL EAST AND WEST PLAYS!!!!!! Aside from those glaring mistakes, the play calling wasn't terrible, very surprised! The DL, idk. Embarrassing. Great job on having only 2 penalties for 10 yards total. Keep recruiting to fill up our depth chart which is very lacking. For the opposing coach, he believed in his team just like CGC believes in ours. He was just talking coach speak. Look at any of the upsets from this past weekend or previous years. same line about tougher/want it more after each one.

For the fans. It was embarrassing to be there and see everyone sitting. If I'm going to sit while watching a game, it's gonna be in my living room in an oversized recliner, not an aluminum bench. The stadium was not energetic, and was even more glaring on TV. Pretty sure I heard crickets, even in the 4th quarter when we had the lead. For a season kickoff game at night with perfect weather, 33,000 is a sad number. For years we complained about noon September kickoffs, yet we as fans crap the bed given this opportunity. The Dodd should have been rocking. Was great to see students in North and South stands! For those who thinks CGC spends all his time worrying about uni combs and other non game prep issues, you're just picking him apart because you don't like him. Flat out. He is not behind any camera, not editing any Twitter video, not using the Wheel of Unis to choose our combo. He's doing the work he needs to do, but like some who study hard for a test, they still score lower than they would like. I even read a post that had many likes that complained CGC took players on a private plane to ACC media days and that he had a WaHo truck to feed the players. We get it. Some of yall just hate him. And that's OK. But, it's easier to sit back and say "I told you so" than support the coaches and players we have. Unless one of yall win the Mega Millions and give it all to the GTAA, CGC ain't going nowhere for 2 more years. Some of his assistants need to go well before then, but he won't. So, that leaves one option: Support the current coaches and players. Cheer our team on. Show up this Sat at noon and for the remaining home games. Watch and cheer loudly for the away games you watch at you local establishments (if you don't travel to the away games). I'll see yall Saturday from section 121!! Go Jackets!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Well written. I'd only add that the D seemed confused way too often. Especially the secondary. That was my biggest concern.

Edit to add: Sometimes everything that has to go wrong for an unexpected result to happen indeed goes wrong. That seemed to be the case Saturday against NIU. Hopefully we can get at least one game this year where everything goes right.

PaulGT72

Georgia Tech Fan
Good review and insights, thanks. I, too, was surprised at how quiet it sounded on TV but thought it might be where mics were placed or a closed TV booth. Guess not.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

I agree that we were close to winning this game. But with the hype machine blaring constant praise about our athletes, I think most of us were expecting a lot better
than "close to winning".
Obviously NIU wanted it much more than we did. Begs the question, why ? Why didn't we want it more ? I know CGC does not like to go negative in press conferences. But when we SEE negatives on the play of this team, but he just keeps spouting positives, it actually makes him seem tone deaf and out of touch.
At this point, he has only two options. #1 is win more games so his rhetoric matches the reality, or #2 change his rhetoric and tell it like it is. Unfortunately for him, and also us fans, if he cannot manage to do either one, his tenure at Tech may not last much longer. IMHO.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Good review and insights, thanks. I, too, was surprised at how quiet it sounded on TV but thought it might be where mics were placed or a closed TV booth. Guess not.
It wasn't very loud most of the time. However, the TV didn't pick up the crowd noise very well. The booing when the field goal team went on the field was pretty loud in the stands. I couldn't hear it at all on the broadcast.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I honestly would have been pretty dang upset still if we had won the game, but played it close.
Do you think we, in year 3, should be playing on par with a team from MAC that was winless last year?

This should be a game where the "depth" issue doesn't drop off until the 3rd and 4th string unit is in the game. Do you disagree?
To me, that is the biggest disappointment, that the starters lost this game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
@TooTall thank you for taking the time to write this up. I always enjoy reading these in-depth game analysis that's not just a knee-jerk reaction to a loss.

For anyone that is thinking about replying in this thread, if all you are going to post about is demanding coaching changes or complaining about any of the coaches, there is a dedicated thread where you can vent. It'll be great to limit this thread to analysis of the game or your experience at the game. So if you find that your post was removed from this thread, you may find it in the CGC thread.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly would have been pretty dang upset still if we had won the game, but played it close.
Do you think we, in year 3, should be playing on par with a team from MAC that was winless last year?

This should be a game where the "depth" issue doesn't drop off until the 3rd and 4th string unit is in the game. Do you disagree?
To me, that is the biggest disappointment, that the starters lost this game.
I agree. I was looking forward to this past weekend being a game where we finally show the increased talent and development and cover a ****ing spread over and "inferior" opponent. It's been a long time (Bowling Green in 2018?) since we've had one of those games where we beat up on an opponent and can get backups reps in the 2nd half. Once NIU went up 14 -0 I knew that we were lightyears away from that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It wasn't very loud most of the time. However, the TV didn't pick up the crowd noise very well. The booing when the field goal team went on the field was pretty loud in the stands. I couldn't hear it at all on the broadcast.

The crowd stood for a few third money downs, but not for most. I was really disappointed in the lack of participation.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good write up and believe it or not everyone here is a Tech fan just because they ( and me ) want a change doesn't mean we don't love Tech. This is year 30 for me with season tickets so I have seen bad times. But if the light doesn't come on for the coaches some of us don't see things getting much better. I would not say anything bad about a Player they have to be put in position to win. All we can ask of the players is to give 100% and I think they do, do they make mistakes , everyone makes mistakes ( other then my wife is she tells me this all the time)
Don't get upset but after 30 years and playing Kennesaw State it will not be a loud game all we can do is cheer for the guys in white and gold, or white in white, or white and navy blue, or gold and navy blue or .............. well cheer for of one on the west side .

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I was with some friends in the lower west, and everyone sitting down the whole game was bizarre.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Well written. I'd only add that the D seemed confused way too often. Especially the secondary. That was my biggest concern.

Edit to add: Sometimes everything that has to go wrong for an unexpected result to happen indeed goes wrong. That seemed to be the case Saturday against NIU. Hopefully we can get at least one game this year where everything goes right.
Hard to say everything went wrong when GT very nearly lost a fumble for a TD (overturned) and fumbled a punt that was negated due to a formation penalty. GT got plenty of breaks. Game was lost in the first half due to QB play from the starter.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
This game went so far from expectations, I found myself sitting in the stands in dis-belief of how we grind yards without scoring and had no answer to NIU formations adjustments and snap style. Those poorly thrown balls by Sims kept them in the game until all advantages we thought were ours disappeared. Execution and play calling was absent whenever we really needed it with a few exceptions. As a fan, there were just not enough of those hoo-rah moments to lose my voice or buy into all the hype that just did not show while the clock was moving against NIU.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I thought Yates played a good game and I believe with the play calling more suited to his and the OL skills that he will be even better. He deserves the next start. I did not get that impression from the CDP presser. That would lead to even more fan dissatisfaction and division. Not good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Yates played a good game and I believe with the play calling more suited to his and the OL skills that he will be even better. He deserves the next start. I did not get that impression from the CDP presser. That would lead to even more fan dissatisfaction and division. Not good.

If Sims completes those worm burners and doesn't underthrow McGowin, we're probably having a different discussion altogether the past few days. However, he did. Give Sims credit for making the correct reads...but he's a QB, his job is to get the ball to the receivers and move the offense. The frustrating thing is the worm burners and the short throw to McGowin (for what would have been a TD) were easy throws he probably makes 9/10 times in skeleton drills.

I played WR in HS, and after every drop, my position coach use to always tell us "You're a WR, if you can't catch the ball, what good are you to this football team?"

Same principle holds true for QBs in a passing spread offense. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I do believe Sims would have settled down. All the physical tools are there...you can see why the staff is enamored with him. At the end of the day, he needs to use those physical tools and show he can make the plays. Otherwise, the staff needs to give the job to someone who can make the plays regardless of whether they don't have the same physical gifts Sims has.