Mutts taking it hard...

GTChE92

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like the mutts got their feelings hurt with the Belk Bowl announcement. Want a better bowl - win more games...

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
IMG_50019467518807.jpeg
latest pictures of the Belk bowl remodel

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you read it carefully, the writer is making it sound like it's about their current coach, but at the end, the reader finds out he's actually taking a hypothetical trip back to the Seventies and talking about Coach Dooley! Had me fooled for most of the article...!
Interestingly, Richt has a higher winning percentage at UGa than Dooley did over his tenure as coach there.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
That Dooley article is really interesting. While the parallels are hard to deny, I still wouldn't support Richt if I was a UGA fan. It's not that they're up and down - they pretty consistently lose to the teams they need to beat to reach that next level.

Here's what would seal it for me: After our game this year he came out and publicly said that he made a mistake squib kicking at the end of the game. While it's not fair to say that's the reason they lost, it was definitely a dumb call that he should not have made. When you consider the frequency of that type of thing happening (throwing short and losing the SEC championship 2 yrs ago, trying to pass and getting sacked on 1st and goal from the 4 at USC this yr, etc.) I would just not have faith in Richt to outscheme anyone. Sure, they beat us 12/14 times, but they had significantly better athletes than us 14/14 times. What's his record against Florida, their peer in terms of talent?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Interestingly, Richt has a higher winning percentage at UGa than Dooley did over his tenure as coach there.
St. Dooley would have been fired after year 7 in today's climate.

After year 7, Dooley was 48-23-4. After almost winning a NC in 1966 in year 3 with "Griffith's players" (lost to a then 1-2 Miami in regular season), he went 5-5-1 in 1969 (year 6) , and 5-5 in year 7 - while losing to GT in both '69 & '70.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The rivalry question is pretty simple really. As long as they are beating us, other games are bigger. We win, it gets back to a huge rivalry.

I wonder about the criticism of Mark Richt. Of course not being a fan I don't follow them all that closely. But my perception is that they don't lose any more big, close games than they win. The Bulldogs sometimes win in less than impressive fashion against the little no-name teams, but they practically always are motivated enough to get the win. I don't think Vince Dooley ever had anything like the run of high rankings that Richt has had.

I would be tickled if the fan base ends up getting him fired or makes him so frustrated he leaves. My guess is the there is about an 80% chance their next coach will be a step down from Mark Richt.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
He's a poor QB from 7-5 and being shown the door. I know he's got another 5* waiting but these guys have never played on the big stage. Here's to hoping!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That Dooley article is really interesting. While the parallels are hard to deny, I still wouldn't support Richt if I was a UGA fan. It's not that they're up and down - they pretty consistently lose to the teams they need to beat to reach that next level.

Here's what would seal it for me: After our game this year he came out and publicly said that he made a mistake squib kicking at the end of the game. While it's not fair to say that's the reason they lost, it was definitely a dumb call that he should not have made. When you consider the frequency of that type of thing happening (throwing short and losing the SEC championship 2 yrs ago, trying to pass and getting sacked on 1st and goal from the 4 at USC this yr, etc.) I would just not have faith in Richt to outscheme anyone. Sure, they beat us 12/14 times, but they had significantly better athletes than us 14/14 times. What's his record against Florida, their peer in terms of talent?
calling timeout right before the play clock expired before our game tieing kick was a bigger blunder.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He's a poor QB from 7-5 and being shown the door. I know he's got another 5* waiting but these guys have never played on the big stage. Here's to hoping!
Too bad UT, UF, USCe, Vandy, and Kentucky, were a little to a lot down this year. And Missouri was not a world beater. Plus they avoided most of the west.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Something coach PJ has said several times in the call in show keeps coming back to me. It is something close to "there is not much difference between most teams today. Three or four plays which you make or don't make decide most games. Getting wins over any teams is tough and they should be seen as an accomplishment."

I wonder if we ever get to the point where a 9-3 season with a top 20 ranking is a huge disappointment whether we will handle it any better than the dog fans do.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Pup replay today and there must have been 10-15 plays that could have swung the outcome either way. We left a lot of points on the field, but they did also.