Must See Moment or Unnecessary Roughness?

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
If Nealy(?) had not caught Rodwell as he was hitting the ground, his head would have slammed down first. My fear would be a concussion or worse.

GTJared21

Georgia Tech Fan
Not unnecessary IMO. Hard hits are fun to watch and we all know if it was quayshawn nealy slamming their punter we would've been fine with it. It's just football. Not very smart to jump into a big dudes arms anyways, so the price was paid.

Animal02

Banned
Not unnecessary IMO. Hard hits are fun to watch and we all know if it was quayshawn nealy slamming their punter we would've been fine with it. It's just football. Not very smart to jump into a big dudes arms anyways, so the price was paid.

Look at the other two videos...."that is just football" too.......one was a called penalty, one was not.......so where is the line drawn?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
It pisssed me off when it happened and I thought it was unnecessary. But when we watched the DVR later it didn't seem as bad, especially since he was clearly OK (and very happy) afterward. Like coach said - he needs to learn to slide.

Animal02

Banned
It pisssed me off when it happened and I thought it was unnecessary. But when we watched the DVR later it didn't seem as bad, especially since he was clearly OK (and very happy) afterward. Like coach said - he needs to learn to slide.

This particular hit I am on the fence with. I felt it was unnecessary, but it does not look as bad on replay as it did live and a judgement call by the refs that could go either way. I have more issue with the way it is being promoted as a "Must See Moment" These sort of body slams need to be discouraged not encouraged....especially since the first down was obtained.......it might have been a "must see moment" if he had stopped the punter a half yard short. Do what is necessary to stop the runner/play.......but once you cross the line of actually trying to hurt an opposing player, that needs to be penalized, along with suspensions etc......just like the targeting.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This particular hit I am on the fence with. I felt it was unnecessary, but it does not look as bad on replay as it did live and a judgement call by the refs that could go either way. I have more issue with the way it is being promoted as a "Must See Moment" These sort of body slams need to be discouraged not encouraged....especially since the first down was obtained.......it might have been a "must see moment" if he had stopped the punter a half yard short. Do what is necessary to stop the runner/play.......but once you cross the line of actually trying to hurt an opposing player, that needs to be penalized, along with suspensions etc......just like the targeting.
I completely agree. Also what's funny is it's listed as a must see moment as if Miami actually made a good defensive play. Most people that have said something to me about that hit had no idea it off of a fake punt for a first down and that it was our punter who got slammed. Outside eyes see this as a big time play by Miami when it was really a great play by us.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I completely agree. Also what's funny is it's listed as a must see moment as if Miami actually made a good defensive play. Most people that have said something to me about that hit had no idea it off of a fake punt for a first down and that it was our punter who got slammed. Outside eyes see this as a big time play by Miami when it was really a great play by us.

I don't understand anyone from Miami promoting this either. I guess they have to dig deep to find a good defensive play from the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This particular hit I am on the fence with. I felt it was unnecessary, but it does not look as bad on replay as it did live and a judgement call by the refs that could go either way.
Yeah, me too. The thing is that it is actually probably better for Rodwell that he tried to slam him. What I was taught when I got an opportunity like this was to lift the opposing player off the ground, get your shoulder into his midsection, then leave your feet as you took him down so you could drive your entire weight into his middle. (Yes, we were actually coached to do that in high school, though not in college.) That would have been a lot worse.

I think the main problem is that the rules haven't, in general, been rethought to take the physics of modern football into account. When I was taught the technique above, I was one of the larger OLs on my high school team at 5'10", 190. What we have now is teams of players who are 50 - 60 lbs heavier and 3 - 4" taller, but are much stronger and much faster then I was. The resulting collisions are a good deal more dangerous, yet the rules stay the same.

I don't know what to do about this. Football is a contact sport. The players are in much better condition then I was and most of them can take the hits without much trouble. But when the hit is just right and the opposing player is caught napping the damage can be much, much worse. We can't do much more about the game without making it something else. I suppose one way would be to change the rules on blocking and defensive line play to make smaller, faster linemen necessary. That could help, but all you have to do is write that down to see that it's a non-starter.