Must See Moment or Unnecessary Roughness?

Animal02

Banned
This clip has been making the rounds....
http://video.ajc.com/Miami-Body-Sla...vcid=27479576&freewheel=12699&sitesection=ajc

We all saw UGAG players do this to Tech running backs a couple of years ago.
Will it take a serious injury before the NCAA takes action?
Hard hitting is one thing, purposely slamming a defenseless play (who is off his feet) to the ground is far more dangerous than chop blocks and is right up there with targeting, late hit on the passer/kicker or out of bounds.

Glorifying clips like this will just want to make more kids get their 5 minutes of fame.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Nothing illegal about the hit, nor should the rules be changed to make if illegal.
It is called UNNECESSARY roughness. That is what the hits out of bounds are. Not sure how the rules read but could be called as such IMO. Same a couple of years ago with Goodhigh at Geprgia. You don't have to lay them down like putting to bed but a body slam to me not unlike some of the "late" hits called when headed OOB or many of the roughing the QB calls.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Like the color guy said, you may want to get your pads down on contact.

That play is getting some internet hype right now because of that hit, but I don't think that Miami will be putting it into their Hype Video for this week. :D

Nothing like getting burned for 10 yards by the punter to make you want to forget a hit like that.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It's borderline for me. No need for it, but not illegal. The ref might say something to the defender if he feel like things are getting out of hand. The Godhigh slam was gratuitous, but like Rodwell, he jumped right back up and got back in the game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't really have a problem with it. If you jump into a defenders arms then it probably isn't going to work out well. Im not even sure what other option the defender has other than to slam you back down. I do think the Godhigh tackle and the Alabama tackle above were pretty unnecessary though.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree he should not have jumped.......but there is still no excuse for the body slam.

Like this one...

This one was called....

the difference between those, if i recall, is that our guys didn't do **** after the play. we just bit the pillow. mizzou is down big, player gets jacked, and the next two plays they make it a point to drive that guy to the dirt. i like that, good attitude.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a tackle, let's not complain about somebody getting hit in a contact sport. Is a hard tackle on a guy that probably didn't need that hit, absolutely. But there isn't anything wrong or even dirty about it.

Animal02

Banned
Yes, it is a contact sport.......the question is did he do more than what was reasonably necessary to stop the runner. The other two plays I posted were similar.....one was called, one was not.....and where do you draw the line?

I think, as others have posted.....it is rather silly to be seen as a "Must See Moment" when the defense just gave up a first down on a fake punt.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I completely agree that it shouldn't be a must see moment.

I understand that there are discrepancies here, but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be a penalty at all.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’s probably unnecessary but it is by no means more dangerous than a chop block. I don’t even think it’s more dangerous than a normal tackle. The worst thing that will happen to you from getting body slammed like that is you’ll get the wind knocked out of you. You have no limbs being twisted in unnatural ways or anything that could provide any sort of long term damage. There’s a small chance for a concussion from hitting the ground but that chance isn’t any more than any other tackle.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Helmet to helmet contact used to be legal....as was spearing.......in fact I can remember being coached to hit that way.
The Bama player was called for it....so where do you draw the line?
Yep. When I was in Jr. High "spearing" was called proper technique by our coaches.