Music (??) at Bobby Dodd during game

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Those who want to let our AD know about the problem need to focus on the volume issue first and foremost. The choice of music is a personal taste issue and less likely to be addressed. The volume issue is super easy to fix if they want to listen to their customers.
This ^^^ 100%

Poodletop

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree about the volume, could not hear the guy sitting next to me. At least turn it down below the threshold of pain. And why do they think they have to “entertain” us for every possible second of the game? A little quiet time every now and then between plays would be appreciated.
Now get the hell off my lawn! 😉

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Play the music the players want to hear, but at volume that is not ear busting. The music is for the players and students to get them into the game. But the other fans should be able to talk

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Play the music the players want to hear, but at volume that is not ear busting. The music is for the players and students to get them into the game. But the other fans should be able to talk
If only there was a band, and they were situated next to the students and pointed towards the field, that way the players and students got the loudest performance and the rest of the fans could hear it but weren't made deaf.

Last edited:

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
When they first installed the new sound system I had bought season tickets in the south end of the upper east stands and didn’t sit in my seats after the first game. It was so loud up there. I usually sit in the middle of the upper East now.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
If only there was a band, and they were situated next to the students and pointed towards the field, that way the players and students got the loudest performance and the rest of the fans could hear it but weren't made deaf.
Love the band! But I’m pretty sure it would be hard for the band to have the entire Spotify playlist memorized. And IMHO, who has never played band before, some songs don’t translate as well to a marching band playing as it does over a fully enhanced modified digital version. And for portions of the game, the band isn’t able to play because they are on the field waiting for halftime.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the band! But I’m pretty sure it would be hard for the band to have the entire Spotify playlist memorized. And IMHO, who has never played band before, some songs don’t translate as well to a marching band playing as it does over a fully enhanced modified digital version. And for portions of the game, the band isn’t able to play because they are on the field waiting for halftime.

As a band alumni, basically this. We can’t really add all the popular songs every year. Most don’t translate well and adding a bunch of new songs every years is just not feasible.

As for the music, note that the music with the heavy base and EDM stuff is designed to keep the students and by default the loudest group engaged. And since last year, has definitely been successful at that.

However, I do agree the volume could go down like 5-10% and still have the same effect.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Stating this again, send an email (as listed in https://www.gatech.edu/about/leadership/j-batt will go to [email protected]) and/or call, (404) 894-5411, the number also form the website.

Sorry, I do not have his personal email, nor his direct GT email, but could guess what it might be.

The listed email for him will actually will go to Jackie and she DOES answer the phone, at least she did for me.

If you are polite and actually voice your thoughts on the music volume, not the crowd noise which was brought up when I talked with her. I said that I expected the crowd noise and that getting to 90 - 100 or more decibels was fine and hopefully to be expected, but that having the piped in music at that level during timeouts, etc. was at time painful and ridiculous.

She did say they "appreciate" the feedback". BUT, I know that if more people do not express concern that nothing will be done about it, so contact the GTAA and voice your thoughts. I.e get off your duff and do something. :)

Just a side note, she does also attend the games, but if in one of the suites i am sure that the impact of the speaker volume is muted.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Stating this again, send an email (as listed in https://www.gatech.edu/about/leadership/j-batt will go to [email protected]) and/or call, (404) 894-5411, the number also form the website.

Sorry, I do not have his personal email, nor his direct GT email, but could guess what it might be.

The listed email for him will actually will go to Jackie and she DOES answer the phone, at least she did for me.

If you are polite and actually voice your thoughts on the music volume, not the crowd noise which was brought up when I talked with her. I said that I expected the crowd noise and that getting to 90 - 100 or more decibels was fine and hopefully to be expected, but that having the piped in music at that level during timeouts, etc. was at time painful and ridiculous.

She did say they "appreciate" the feedback". BUT, I know that if more people do not express concern that nothing will be done about it, so contact the GTAA and voice your thoughts. I.e get off your duff and do something. :)

Just a side note, she does also attend the games, but if in one of the suites i am sure that the impact of the speaker volume is muted.
If I might… also tell her a couple of things you liked about the game-day experience: HBP, stadium upgrades, food selection, new PA guy, etc. Be a person who cares enough to give her feedback, not just toss her complaints.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If I might… also tell her a couple of things you liked about the game-day experience: HBP, stadium upgrades, food selection, new PA guy, etc. Be a person who cares enough to give her feedback, not just toss her complaints.
I did 😁 and agree whole heartedly!
Thank you @stinger78 for pointing that out.

Even gave my seat information so she, they, can see that I'm not a one-game fan.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I stumbled across an FSU article discussing the game day experience at home against BC. You wouldn't believe it.....lousy canned music, way too loud, can't talk to my neighbor, not enough band, scoreboard not working....It was deja vu all over again!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I sit not far from @awbuzz . The volume wasn't a problem at my seats Saturday night. It has been some in the last few years, and I have complained about it. The volume has been loud. In addition to that, the mid frequencies 2-4k were much louder than the lower frequencies which made it ear piercing. It must be that the sound is different in different parts of the stadium. My big issue is that GT is a technology school inside Atlanta, which is has a lot of people and companies that work on large scale concert productions. Sound in Bobby Dodd is something that GT should be able to do very well. Should be able to do it better than any other school in the NCAA.

I didn't care for a lot of the music. But, I think the PA and video board were much better Saturday night than they have been in previous years. The video snippets were much better quality than they have been. I thought the "It's third down.. I'ts third down.. IT"S THIRD DOWN!!!!" chants with the jaws theme even mixed well with the band playing chords. I just wanted to point out that even if the sound is still too loud in some places, and even if the music isn't agreeable with some, the entertainment production of the game was much, much better than previous years. (At least in my opinion)

I used my iphone and a sound level app and the music was mostly in the high 70's to low 80's where I sit. It got into the high 80's low 90's several times as well. The real problem is when they play certain things .(sound effects? tracks?) Not sure what to call it but it was repetitive and ear piercing at over 110 decibels.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The high 70s and low 80s is fine/perfect for the canned sound. Hitting 85+ regularly for 60-240 seconds, not so good.

Now, when it comes to crowd noise and we're hitting 90-95+ I love it. But those are few and far between.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I used my iphone and a sound level app and the music was mostly in the high 70's to low 80's where I sit. It got into the high 80's low 90's several times as well. The real problem is when they play certain things .(sound effects? tracks?) Not sure what to call it but it was repetitive and ear piercing at over 110 decibels.
My seats are not far from yours. I wonder if it is a big problem with the speakers, the speaker aiming, and the frequencies of the speakers/aiming. I complained a lot in the last couple of years because the mid-high frequencies were so loud that I almost had to cover my ears. I may have actually done that a few times.

I don't know what the answer is. Better speakers in the South end zone? Distributed timed speaker system with counter waves to prevent echos? However, I have said before that we have the expertise necessary to fix it. GT used to have a professor who was renowned for audio engineering. There is currently a professor who works in that field. There are probably hundreds (at least) students who would love the opportunity to test and design a speaker system for the stadium. Atlanta has theater design companies, and live music production companies who should have the expertise to make a good sound system. That is something that GT should be able to do better than 99% of all other schools.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
As a season ticket holder, I have commented on the "music" every year for the past 5. Other alumni also have done the same. I do not expect anything to change. Will take the small victory we don't have to listen to "Money Down" any more.

Went to the Ole Miss game last year and the visitors section was in front of a loudspeaker. Again, way too loud. At least there was more variation in what was played.