Most overrated coaches of all time --- StadiumTalk.com

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of surprises and omissions. I am surprised more SEC, USC, UCLA, and texas coaches didn’t make it. How is Bobby Ross on there and Mack Brown isn’t?
The inclusion of Ross, at least at the point he was placed, was surprising to me. You are obviously more familiar with more coaches than I am to have come to the conclusion you stated. Interesting list, none-the-less

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Half way thought Gene Stallings might make this list. He had a dismal coaching record everywhere he coached except for Alabama where he took Bill Curry’s players and won a national championship. All his coaching awards come from that single year. After that his record at Alabama looks great if you don’t count the forfeited games, his admitted cheating and his 3 year NCAA probation. Was loved by Alabama fans because he played for Bear Bryant at Texas A&M and was considered the macho antidote to that prissy Tech boy that they needed to get rid of.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The inclusion of Ross, at least at the point he was placed, was surprising to me. You are obviously more familiar with more coaches than I am to have come to the conclusion you stated. Interesting list, none-the-less
Ross is “ penalized” for being average at the 3 “powerhouse” programs of Maryland, Tech and Army.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I could think of a lot of current coaches that didn't make the list that I think are overrated - or at least overPAID! :) I found it interesting that they put Ross in there and griped that he was average but managed to win a championship [but claimed it wasn't real (said he didn't win a bowl game for it, but I was there...)] and then put Richt on there saying he was a winning coach but couldn't win a championship. Seems the goal posts were moving a bit.

I found it amusing that Lane Kiffin was the top of the list - really? He's so overrated that he wound up at Ole Miss? I guess they are upset he got to go pro and then fell flat at TN. I dunno. His record isn't great, but I don't really think he's all that overrated or he'd be somewhere else (and Ole Miss is my SEC team because my hubbie went there). Ole Miss has NO defense this year, but their offense is for real. And although I don't really like Lane Kiffin that much (because of his stunt at the USC bowl game a few years back), I do like his strategies. I like going for it on 4th down with the offense he has. I like the way he makes adjustments for each team he's playing, etc. Control what you can control thinking that we are lacking!

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think failed SEC coaches like Derek Dooley, Jim McElwain, Butch Jones, all the Bama coaches between Saban and stallings, etc should be on that list before Coach Ross and others who have won national titles. To me a coach who won a national title at a non-factory school deserves a ton of credit.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think the author understands what “overrated” means. Is anyone mistaking Charlie Weis for a good football coach? And I don’t think you can call anyone that managed to win Tech a natty overrated. If anyone is overrated, I’d say it’s Dabo. He was given a lot of resources for staff and recruiting at Clemson that he wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere. Put him at UCLA or Minnesota, and he probably gets fired after 3 years of lackluster results.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting list of overrated coaches. Few surprises, but definitely some ---

Interesting. There were a lot of coaches on that list with winning records of .600 or so including the Reverend. I don't think Tuberville should have been on the list either. Paul Dietzel did something a lot of very good coaches never did, he won a national title. Charlie McClendon should not be on that list. His LSU teams were always pretty good and he had to face Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss and Bear Bryant when they were really good. As for Tuberville, he beat Alabama six times. Anyone done that lately? Lovie Smith may have had the lowest winning percentage of any coach on that list. Zook was a terrible game day coach at Florida but he beat UGA two years out of three. As for Lane Kiffin, there is no doubt he can coach offense but he has an awful lot of baggage. When he was at Alabama, he was a successful offensive coordinator and helped bring the Tide out of the dark ages but man, Saban could not stand him I saw a photo once of Kiffin whispering into the ear of the Tide quarterback and a few feet away Saban is staring at him with a look that can only be described as pure malevolence.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think the author understands what “overrated” means. Is anyone mistaking Charlie Weis for a good football coach? And I don’t think you can call anyone that managed to win Tech a natty overrated. If anyone is overrated, I’d say it’s Dabo. He was given a lot of resources for staff and recruiting at Clemson that he wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere. Put him at UCLA or Minnesota, and he probably gets fired after 3 years of lackluster results.
Charlie was good for the local economy. When he was at Florida as the offensive coordinator, he kept a half dozen food places in business. Besides he had what he called a "schematic advantage" when he was coaching at Notre Dame. Plus, he would make a big deal on TV of holding his ring hand just so that the camera was sure to catch his Super Bowl ring. I would consider him way overrated.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, including Ross was pretty bad. But … this clowns also included R. C. Slocum and Charlie McClendon. The Aggies have been regretting getting rid of R. C. ever since they, in a fit of pique, decided to fire him. McClendon was only the winningest coach in LSU history. And these two are only the tip of the iceberg.

Oth, the top 15 or so were consistently overrated. And, btw, Paul Dietzel should be in the top 20, national championship or not.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting list of overrated coaches. Few surprises, but definitely some ---

Going through some of those names brought back memories: Ron Zook is famous for being the first coach to have a "fireronzook.com" website devoted to him on the FIRST day he was hired. Poor Mike Locksley had the absolute lowest winning record percentage at an unheard of .130. I would feel sorry for him but I am sure he was well paid by Maryland. The coaches with the highest winning percentages on the list were: the Rev at .728 at Miami and UGA. Bo Pelini at .713 at Nebraska and he won 4 Big 12 titles. and RC Slocum at Texas A&M at .721. The only ones with a national title to their credit, I think, were Bobby Ross at Tech, Paul Dietzel at LSU and Gene Citzick at Auburn. I don't think anyone who won a national title should be on the list and certainly coaches that win at a .700 clip should not be although I will admit that Pelini was his own worst enemy with his lack of social graces and a big mouth.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok, including Ross was pretty bad. But … this clowns also included R. C. Slocum and Charlie McClendon. The Aggies have been regretting getting rid of R. C. ever since they, in a fit of pique, decided to fire him. McClendon was only the winningest coach in LSU history. And these two are only the tip of the iceberg.

Oth, the top 15 or so were consistently overrated. And, btw, Paul Dietzel should be in the top 20, national championship or not.
Do you think Harbaugh should be on this list? Charlie McClendon is still the winningest coach in LSU history. RC Slocum should never have been fired with a winning percentage of .721 he was the second highest on the list after the Rev. who in my opinion was unfairly singled out because he could not win a national championship. He did win several SEC championships and a ACC title.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
A lot of those guys shouldn't be on that list. We've had some coaches that should probably be on there. but not Ross or that Georgia coach. I would add Steve Sloan, Butch Davis, and maybe Dennis Erickson.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Just goes to show that dumb articles will fool people into making lots of clicks that generate revenue for the website owners. While people debate the content, the website owner is laughing all the way to the bank. It can be smart to produce dumb.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Any coach that won a National Championship should not be on this list. A lot of folks would put Bobby Bowden on this list but he also won one National Championship even though he should have won several. I would put the Oklahoma head coach on this list if he is not already on it. Chip Kelly should be on it if not as well.

Go Jackets!