Most Devastating Injury this Year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think there's a guy or 2 that shouldn't be on the field this year. We really miss the guys you mentioned plus the LB that left for FL who's name escapes me. Always struck me as a solid tackler when he was in there.
Anthony Harrell. Ranked #13 in tackles last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It seems like we don't "tackle through" players, and are happy with just wrapping guys and getting them down. Most of the time, it's wrapping up their legs and the ball carrier is falling 2-3 yards forward with momentum.

When's the last time a LB or safety met the ball carrier in the hole and absolutely destroyed him at the point of contact. It's been a while since I've seen that from a GT front 7 + safties.

Of course, given how much we whiffed at getting to the ball carrier, getting them down at all seems like a big step up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It seems like we don't "tackle through" players, and are happy with just wrapping guys and getting them down. Most of the time, it's wrapping up their legs and the ball carrier is falling 2-3 yards forward with momentum.

When's the last time a LB or safety met the ball carrier in the hole and absolutely destroyed him at the point of contact. It's been a while since I've seen that from a GT front 7 + safties.

Of course, given how much we whiffed at getting to the ball carrier, getting them down at all seems like a big step up.
I think we have some physical LB's in the pipeline, Mitchell and Vic. I had high hopes for Tre Jackson, not sure what happened there. Terrell Lewis is another one to keep an eye on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

That's exactly what I'm seeing. It's kinda like boxing where you have a lot of guys that can swiftly hit all the marks but the really devastating punchers learn to punch through their opponent. Not just pitty-pat the spots they're used to hitting in practice.

You'd think we'd be better at this despite the overall reduction in hitting in practice.

Also agree this is asking for a lot considering how our poor angles lead to us chasing more than hitting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly what I'm seeing. It's kinda like boxing where you have a lot of guys that can swiftly hit all the marks but the really devastating punchers learn to punch through their opponent. Not just pitty-pat the spots they're used to hitting in practice.

You'd think we'd be better at this despite the overall reduction in hitting in practice.

Also agree this is asking for a lot considering how our poor angles lead to us chasing more than hitting.
I've also seen hesitation by the db's on running plays, opting the safer play using leverage rather than flying up like a heat seeking missile. I remember those ND defenders just blasting off towards our ball carriers with reckless abandon and making every tackle solo. One draw back to our offense on the wide plays is that they start out going east/west. It's much easier to approach at full speed from the defensive perspective. North/South runners can much more easily evade a charging defender.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me try some GT math:

Our blocking + X = Same result

X= any QB in America

I don't completely agree Ibee, for the reason stated in my original post. I would rather see a 2 yard gain than a TFL. Maybe the gain doesn't necessarily happen, maybe it does. If the both the QB and the pitch man are covered in an option sweep, the QB is supposed to keep and get what yards he can, right?

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Also loss of Byerly doesn't hurt much, his impact is not even felt as Thomas has stayed healthy, From the little we have seen of Matthew Jordan he looked as good / or better then Byerly. Byerly injury may help in the long run if Jordan gets some playing time, it will help for experience for next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Also loss of Byerly doesn't hurt much, his impact is not even felt as Thomas has stayed healthy, From the little we have seen of Matthew Jordan he looked as good / or better then Byerly. Byerly injury may help in the long run if Jordan gets some playing time, it will help for experience for next year.
You do realize Jordan has only played vs cupcakes and in garbage time, right?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My vote goes to Chris Griffin OT, we would be undefeated with him in the lineup.

Griffin didn't start towards the end of the 2014 season, Errin Joe took his place. Errin Joe played really well last year, but he hasn't been able to carry over that form to this year.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think we have some physical LB's in the pipeline, Mitchell and Vic. I had high hopes for Tre Jackson, not sure what happened there. Terrell Lewis is another one to keep an eye on.
Tyler Cooksey is the one I think has a ton of potential. I think Mitchell and Alexander are going to be good, too, and I'm hopeful that A.J. Gray doesn't outgrow safety.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. In garbage time. Same thing happened this year against nd.

I spy a troll. Byerly was injured before the ND game. Real close eye you got on the team there. And BTW - the 4th quarter is not "garbage time." "Garbage time" is whenever one of the teams clears the bench of its back-ups. Dook did not clear the bench last year, nor did ND this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I spy a troll. Byerly was injured before the ND game. Real close eye you got on the team there. And BTW - the 4th quarter is not "garbage time." "Garbage time" is whenever one of the teams clears the bench of its back-ups. Dook did not clear the bench last year, nor did ND this year.

Not a troll, just typical terrible reading comprehension.

We did the same thing this year against ND that we did last year against Duke. We scored two late window dressing TDs when the other team backed off defensively. Last year we did it with Byerly. This year with Thomas. Just like the late TDs against ND this year didn't signify anything of significance in regards to our offense this year, neither did the tacked on TDs last year against Duke signify anything as well. Garbage time is when it's clear the opposing team is playing differently than they did the rest of the game because they knew the game was in hand. And that was the case against both ND this year and Duke last year, and it was obvious.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that losing Tim was a major blow to the team, but I think the injuries that hurt the most were before the season started.

I mean the injuries to Leggett and Quaid. Skov has played as well as could be expected, but I think if those two had been healthy going into fall our situation would be much better. Losing both Cotrell and Benson before the season started also hasn't helped. Being four deep in people who can really move (Snoddy, Qua, Cotrell, and Benson) would sure make things easier now.

And, yes, losing Griffith certainly didn't help either.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Garbage time is when it's clear the opposing team is playing differently than they did the rest of the game because they knew the game was in hand. And that was the case against both ND this year and Duke last year, and it was obvious.

It it could've cost both Dook and ND the game with an onside kick in both games. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that the Dook D "backed off" last year when coach finally benched JT when he was clearly having a bad game. We can disagree about the definition of "garbage time."