Morgan Bailey officially not returning

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The 2 deep consists of 44 players + kickers. If you can't give a scholly to one of your 44 best when you have 85 to give, something's wrong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is too bad. Bailey was a quality player and could have been a long time starter, maybe even a pro. I'm glad to see that he is going after his degree, regardless.

I'll always appreciate his courage in playing through one injury after another. He wanted the field, but his body wouldn't cooperate.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am sure Byerly is near the top of the list to get a scolly if we have more attrition between signing day and the fall. Right now if we can fill the 3 slots we have with players from our current targets...do it. Our remaining targets all have potential to upgrade our talent. You don't turn that away.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad the guy is going to get that degree! I hate he couldn't stay healthy because he was one of our better lineman when he played. Hopefully the open spot he provides will help us get someone to make the team better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just have to agree to disagree here. We have a few kids highly rated in skill positions that could see more time than tim next year. Paul davis saw more time than him this year. And now we have 3 spots open making it more likely to land one of them (like an autry or rogers)

Secondly we have jordan on the team now who may be the back up in 2015. Paul doesnt have a good track record of taking a walkon off ship. So now tim is 3rd string a walkon will never see the field and still on ship. It is a legit scenario.

Again just have to agree to disagree.

How many of the 14 kids that we signed in the 2013 class saw any time last year? Heck, how many of the kids from 2012 class saw time last year?

How many of the 2014 class that we're going to sign will play?

I'll go ahead and predict this, Byerly will see more time than 50% of the guys from the 2013 and 2014 class next season.

I understand your thought that you go with future potential over someone who probably will be a backup his entire career, but Byerly will be GT's most important backup in 2014. That to me is worth a scholarship.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
How many of the 14 kids that we signed in the 2013 class saw any time last year? Heck, how many of the kids from 2012 class saw time last year?

How many of the 2014 class that we're going to sign will play?

I'll go ahead and predict this, Byerly will see more time than 50% of the guys from the 2013 and 2014 class next season.

I understand your thought that you go with future potential over someone who probably will be a backup his entire career, but Byerly will be GT's most important backup in 2014. That to me is worth a scholarship.

Right off the top of my head, Paul Davis and Butker from 2013 played a lot. The rest, I believe, were redshirted.
From 12, Gotsis played right away, so did Autry. Andrews, Stargel, Hankins, Lynn Griffin, Summers, JT, DJ White and Chase Roberts all had varying degrees of PT this year. Burden would have but got hurt.
PJ likes redshirting. So I expect the rest of the 12 class of signees to push for more PT this year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not a lot of coaching staffs plan for the early departure of their starting QB.

A lot of staffs do indeed plan for such. Manzeil and players like that.

Course in our case, we manage to not coach a qualified player up, or put him position to succeed, totally whiff on his evaluation even after 3 years or some other nonsense. I have really been trying to find a STARTING QB, with this much eligibility left, transfer for reasons other than the NFL. Sure there have been, I just have not been able to come up with any names.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm not sure how we can so easily apportion blame re: Vad.
The kid ran for 6 yards a carry in 2012. He ran for 2.7? in 2013. Similar mix of plays and formation (despite what a lot of people are stating). Passed at a rate lower than Tevin.
Did pretty decent/average on the basic option dive read from under center, but struggled on the outside and struggled making option reads from the pistol.

I'm sure the staff wishes they could have done a better job. At the same time, I'm sure Vad knows it's not all the staff's fault.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
(I'm not bad-mouthing Vad. I think he had and has tremendous potential and am not happy to see him go. He's fast, has a great arm, and is a fantastic human being by all accounts. I'm just saying that I think claims that he was somehow done wrong by our coaches are, at the very least, overblown.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Right off the top of my head, Paul Davis and Butker from 2013 played a lot. The rest, I believe, were redshirted.
From 12, Gotsis played right away, so did Autry. Andrews, Stargel, Hankins, Lynn Griffin, Summers, JT, DJ White and Chase Roberts all had varying degrees of PT this year. Burden would have but got hurt.
PJ likes redshirting. So I expect the rest of the 12 class of signees to push for more PT this year.

Yup, that's my point. Not a high percentage of recruits signed contribute the first two seasons. That's just how college game works for the most part, especially at a school like GT that relies more on getting guys in the system, developing them, and hoping they contribute by the time they're R-Sophs or Juniors. We don't get too many "plug and play" players at GT, especially not too many of those that contribute at a high level.

Then you get a guy like Byerly, who odds are extremely high given the history of backup QBs since CPJ has been here, that will play more than probably 50% of the roster. That to me deserves a scholly, especially at the most important position on offense.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
Does Byerly receive Hope?

Mr. Byerly is a kid of very high character and comes from a great family that is blessed financially. I'm pretty certain he is on hope (per Bio on RW he is a dean list student!!). But to the point of whether or not he should be on scholly? IMO, if he cracks the two deep after spring practice (IMO he will) he will be put on scholarship. People tend to forget this about his high school success....

"Named the Atlanta Journal Constitution's All-Classification Player of the Year and first team all-state... voted the 2010 Atlanta North Forsyth/Fulton TD Club Offensive Player of the Year... a 2010 ESPN/Rise finalist for Mr. Football USA... owns school career records in passing yards (3,987), touchdown passes (44), rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (37), and rushing yards by a QB (2,385)... led Chattahoochee to the 2010 Class AAAA state championship and a 15-0 record after completing 170 of 249 passes for 2,664 yards and 30 touchdowns (only two interceptions)... rushed for 1,509 yards (6.7 yds/carry) and 21 touchdowns to become first player in school history to pass and rush for more than 1,000 yards in the same season... in the state title game against Starr's Mill, he passed for 112 yards and rushed for 108 yards... as a junior, he threw for 1,322 yards and 13 touchdowns while adding 1,149 yards and 17 scores on the ground... named North Fulton Offensive Player of the Year in 2009... lettered in football and wrestling"

I see it as no accident that he looks pretty damn good when he gets to play......

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
NOTHING against J.Shaw but I would take Byerly over Shaw and twice on Sunday. Shaw was on schollie as the #2 QB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer