Monken speech

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I looked up Air Force's record yesterday. I was surprised to see that it had a pretty successful run the last 10 years under Calhoun. But isn't Air Force the forgotten middle sibling? Or the third wheel in the bromance of Army-Navy? ;);)
Well, yes. Born as an unwanted child by the Army and Navy, for the same and different reasons. The Army wanted full control of air support for infantry -- and that makes all the sense in the world -- and of course, that budget money being siphoned off. The Navy wanted the cash for carriers, so to speak, saying give us enough and we can protect the world. But in 1947 both lost and the AF was born, and -- was it 1960? -- the AF Academy was established. And as Supersize notes, they have squatter's rights on the Chief's trophy. But Army and Navy have been playing since God made dirt, so AF just has to tag along. (Scheduling that Army-Navy game in mid-December was a stroke of genius by somebody. Absolutely dominates the Saturday, particularly now that Army is relevant again.)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Well, yes. Born as an unwanted child by the Army and Navy, for the same and different reasons. The Army wanted full control of air support for infantry -- and that makes all the sense in the world -- and of course, that budget money being siphoned off. The Navy wanted the cash for carriers, so to speak, saying give us enough and we can protect the world. But in 1947 both lost and the AF was born, and -- was it 1960? -- the AF Academy was established. And as Supersize notes, they have squatter's rights on the Chief's trophy. But Army and Navy have been playing since God made dirt, so AF just has to tag along. (Scheduling that Army-Navy game in mid-December was a stroke of genius by somebody. Absolutely dominates the Saturday, particularly now that Army is relevant again.)
The Air Force Academy was founded in 1954 and went to their first Bowl game in January 1959 when they played TCU to a 0-0 tie. AF was 9-0-2 in 1958.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Off we go, into the wild blue yonder, climbing high, into the sun......!

Couldn’t help myself.
I believe it is "into the sky". And a hale and hearty handshake if you can remember any of the words to the anthem Mitch Miller wrote to replace that rousing classic -- it was apparently insufficiently martial -- but bombed in all corners. I'll give you the first words ..."They took the blue from the sky ..." And it got worse from there.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds familiar...

Interesting. Who knew Tashard was so well-read?

He [Andrew Barton, a Scottish privateer (pirate to others)] is the subject of an English folk song entitled Sir Andrew Barton or Andrew Bartin, which is Child ballad number 167.

The most famous lines of this ballad are:

'I am hurt but I am not slain.

I'll lay me down and bleed awhile,

Then I'll rise and fight again.'

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Interesting. Who knew Tashard was so well-read?

He [Andrew Barton, a Scottish privateer (pirate to others)] is the subject of an English folk song entitled Sir Andrew Barton or Andrew Bartin, which is Child ballad number 167.

The most famous lines of this ballad are:

'I am hurt but I am not slain.

I'll lay me down and bleed awhile,

Then I'll rise and fight again.'
Wow. Nice find! But, Tashard got it from Derrick Moore who says it with the team on occasion. I wonder how D.Mo came upon his version of it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I stand corrected, then. Who knew D. Mo was so well-read?

(y)

He seems to be very well read. I think the speech he gave in 14 about fighting for the guy to the left and right (time to turn the yellow jackets loose) was in part taken from the book Gates of Fire about the battle of Thermopylae. The Spartan sergeant says some similar things to his commander in the book. The phrase is also used by various military teachings though, but there are some other similarities to the book in that speech.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He seems to be very well read. I think the speech he gave in 14 about fighting for the guy to the left and right (time to turn the yellow jackets loose) was in part taken from the book Gates of Fire about the battle of Thermopylae. The Spartan sergeant says some similar things to his commander in the book. The phrase is also used by various military teachings though, but there are some other similarities to the book in that speech.
I am starting to get impressed with the literacy on the board. My wife's collection of 1st edition Nancy Drew is not going to cut it.

TechPreacher

Banned

He got it from his middle school coach.