Money Down Poll

What to do with the Money Down

• Please get rid of it.

Votes: 234 73.8%
  • Keep it, I like it.

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Doesn't matter, we have bigger fish to fry.

Votes: 76 24.0%

• Total voters

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Money down is not something that has caught on no matter your generation. My son and I finally agree on something. He is a 2014 graduate from the institute.
It’s something that catches on when the team is playing well and the crowd is seriously into the game. It’ll be great when we’re playing a top 10 team on a Saturday night. Not for you and me but for the 18 year old who wants to be the next big playmaker at BDS.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Did money down return again on Sat? I was watching online and didn't notice it. I'm not against having cute lines but "money down" is just so stupid and it also shows a generational gap. Maybe we said "oh man, that's money" like back in the 90s... and for us to be blaring money down, it seems so out of touch. At least update it with something more current. Just ripoff some popular lines from Tik Tok.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Did money down return again on Sat? I was watching online and didn't notice it. I'm not against having cute lines but "money down" is just so stupid and it also shows a generational gap. Maybe we said "oh man, that's money" like back in the 90s... and for us to be blaring money down, it seems so out of touch. At least update it with something more current. Just ripoff some popular lines from Tik Tok.
They mixed it up. Some money down and some third down.
FWIW, I’m 62 and prefer “It’s Third Down!”
Money is like a card game or a demand from a lady of the evening. That’s what I’ve heard.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s something that catches on when the team is playing well and the crowd is seriously into the game. It’ll be great when we’re playing a top 10 team on a Saturday night. Not for you and me but for the 18 year old who wants to be the next big playmaker at BDS.
I should hope it never catches on, and I have yet to see a good argument as to why recruits would find it appealing.

For what it's worth, my issue with "money down" is that it cheapens the thrill associated with the anxiety and anticipation of a crucial third down situation. What should be something serious is thus turned into a farce. It is as if you are watching the climax of some historical epic and the Benny Hill theme starts playing.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Money down is not something that has caught on no matter your generation. My son and I finally agree on something. He is a 2014 graduate from the institute.
Completely disagree. In fact I was at a local high school football game in NC yesterday and every third down the announcer called out "money down". So yes you and a lot of older fans (and some younger fans) may not like it but it is apparently a thing that has caught on at the high school level now so there is obviously a generation that does like it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Completely disagree. In fact I was at a local high school football game in NC yesterday and every third down the announcer called out "money down". So yes you and a lot of older fans (and some younger fans) may not like it but it is apparently a thing that has caught on at the high school level now so there is obviously a generation that does like it.
BUT! we are getting away from high school things (so I've been told).

slugboy

Staff member
College football is all about tradition and pageantry. Let football take care of football. The fans will take care of the cheering.
Whether it’s MLB, the NCAA, the NBA, or another sport, the environment is the best when the announcer is a background job and the fans make their own cheers.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The main thing to focus is that on Money Down vs NIU they were 5-12. KSU was 3-15. So we are winning Money Down by a wide margin yet yall still complain. :banghead: I'm not saying everything is rainbows and unicorns, but we have been begging for a defense to get off the field on Money Down or 3rd down or whatever you want to call it and it looks like we got it......so far. The schedule does get exponentially harder from here on out, so can't we enjoy what we've done?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If we're going to do something unique over the loudspeakers, we should do something with the Wreck's "AAAWOOOOOOOOOOOGGAAAAAA" horn. While still playing Chords.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The main thing to focus is that on Money Down vs NIU they were 5-12. KSU was 3-15. So we are winning Money Down by a wide margin yet yall still complain. :banghead: I'm not saying everything is rainbows and unicorns, but we have been begging for a defense to get off the field on Money Down or 3rd down or whatever you want to call it and it looks like we got it......so far. The schedule does get exponentially harder from here on out, so can't we enjoy what we've done?
We need an analysis of 3rd down performance on "Money Downs" and when the band plays Chords. This is very important to performing at an ELITE level.