MLB - Shorter Games

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Welp... MLB fixed a [perceived] problem regarding the length of games. I'd be interested to see if this results in more fans attending & tuning in. I've always thought game length is a red herring. Waning fan interest goes way beyond how long games last & isn't very significant.

The 2023 number does get your attention (if you're into data)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I personally believe the on-field product MLB is producing right now is the best and most entertaining it’s been in a long time. Attendance and TV viewership are up in most markets, and MLB and individual teams are trying to find workarounds for the very fan-unfriendly TV and streaming deals so more people have access to all of their favorite team’s games.

Anecdotally, I find myself way more interested in actually sitting down and watching games on TV now, even if it’s not an intriguing matchup or if I don’t care at all about the teams playing. I’m also seeing a lot more social media posts and interactions about baseball. A lot of minor league teams and stadiums are drawing more fans than they have in the past 10 years.

There are still problems with the longevity of this newfound popularity. Youth sports have turned into a cruel joke designed to suck up any and all available funds a family may have in order to sell them the idea of a dream. Whether that be playing at the Division 1 level or professionally. Local rec leagues and parks have been decimated over the last decade+ with how far “travel” and “select” teams and leagues have expanded. There’s a lot of kids who have no business paying upwards of $1,000 or more to play on a team or in a league that would’ve been free or nearly free of charge 20 years ago. Baseball in particular has been hit by this epidemic with how expensive gear and equipment has become, as well as the year-long schedules. All sports have similar issues though, and while I do think it will eventually lead to all sports being only available for the financially elite, it’s not really a problem baseball (MLB specifically) can fix.

Some other issues include still rising strikeout and walk rates, increasing injury rates for pitchers, owners who refuse to spend enough money to field a competitive team, and other small things. But as a whole, I believe most of the changes MLB has made for this season will benefit the league and the game greatly down the road. I really hope the NCAA adopts most of the rules MLB implemented for the 2024 season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are still problems with the longevity of this newfound popularity. Youth sports have turned into a cruel joke designed to suck up any and all available funds a family may have in order to sell them the idea of a dream. Whether that be playing at the Division 1 level or professionally. Local rec leagues and parks have been decimated over the last decade+ with how far “travel” and “select” teams and leagues have expanded. There’s a lot of kids who have no business paying upwards of $1,000 or more to play on a team or in a league that would’ve been free or nearly free of charge 20 years ago. Baseball in particular has been hit by this epidemic with how expensive gear and equipment has become, as well as the year-long schedules. All sports have similar issues though, and while I do think it will eventually lead to all sports being only available for the financially elite, it’s not really a problem baseball (MLB specifically) can fix.
Upwards of $1,000 for "travel" and "select" teams? Try $2,500 to $4,000 for "select" teams in Illinois. That doesn't include travel and lodging for out-of-town tournaments. You're also paying for the coaches' rooms and meals. These programs are fielding multiple "A" and "B" teams. If your son wants to play "travel/select" baseball, they've got a team for him if you're willing to pony up the money. The quality of some of these "elite" leagues has been watered down so much that it's oftentimes not as good as House League baseball used to be.

As for equipment, when I played in the late 70's and through the 80's, you came to the team with a glove and cleats. Everything else was communal and part of the team equipment. I'm about to shell out $600 for my 14-year-old's catcher's equipment because he's outgrown his and will be playing into HS. $300-$400 for a bat (that has to be replaced every year because the bat rules change), $325 for a glove/mitt lo you need both. This doesn't even account for the private lessons these kids are getting with individual coaches.

It's the same with every sport. Hockey families pay upwards of $20,000/year/kid for their kids to play at an elite level. It's crazy. So, it doesn't surprise me when I hear about season ticket holders dwindling.