MLB - New Rules Experimentation

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I missed this from back in March, but found this when I saw another 'headline' regarding a new rule the Atlantic League will be implementing during the 2nd half of this season.

So.. MLB has partnered with the Atlantic League to use the league as a crucible to experiment with different rule tweaks.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-atlantic-league-announce-2019-changes

Here is a quick list:
  • The use of TrackMan radars to assist home plate umpires in calling balls and strikes
  • No mound visits for anything other than pitching changes or medical issues
  • The elimination of most defensive shifts by requiring two infielders on each side of second base
  • A three-batter minimum for pitchers, barring injuries
  • Moving the pitching rubber back an additional two feet (to 62 feet, 6 inches) during the second half of the season
  • Increase base size to 18 square inches (from 15 square in)
  • Reduce (by 20 seconds) the time between innings and pitching changes
  • [new for 2nd half of season] STEALING FIRST BASE - any pitch on any count not caught (by catcher) in flight will be a live ball and batter may attempt to reach 1st base from batters box (similar to 3rd strike rule now)

General comment... these rules generally fall into 2 buckets:
1) Improve pace of play
2) Generate more balls in play/offense
[there is irony in that solutions to these 2 'problems' usually are in conflict]

No need for me/us to panic, yet. These are simply being tested...likelihood of any or many making it to MLB is still pretty low.

Ok... Let's start with what I like.

No mound visits - LOVE IT. Seems reasonable to me... you have a guy ready in bullpen, just make the call and have the guy come into game. All other visits to discuss defense or how to attack batters can be mitigated by better pre-game prep and/or increased signalling among players/bench.

[NOTE: The main culprits for pace of play are NOT time between pitches or even pitching changes. It is mound visits, time between innings, and the diminished size of foul territory in the new parks around baseball]

Eliminating defensive shifts - bad idea. Just beat the shift by hitting the ball where they are not. My limited "data set" just watching MLB games this year.. it seems more (not a lot...but more) guys/teams are choosing to make obvious attempts to beat shifts with those guys selectively bunting or slapping balls to vacant spots. This will fix the shift stuff over time.

3-batter minimum - bad idea. See my note above & strategizing of pitching matchups needs to remain in the game.

Moving rubber back to 62' 6'' - bad idea. Am I the only guy who likes pitching duels...or at least likes them when they happen to occur...which is less often, now? MLB is going to see more HRs (by far) this season. As of July, HRs up 20% and on pace to reach a record of 6624 total in 2019. Previous high was 6105 (in 2017). Hitters are doing just fine... no need to help them out even more.

Increased base size - jury out. I think I like this. If I understand how bases are placed, this will only reduce the distance 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd by a few inches. So...no advantage on beating out a ground ball from batter box to 1st. Will be a big advantage to base stealers and likely you'll see more guys going 1st to 3rd on hits to outfield or going for the double/triple more often. That should increase offensive/aggressive type play. I am all for that "idea" at least.

Reduce time between innings/pitching changes - good idea. I am fine with this; but MLB will have a problem implementing this given how much they need the TV revenue.

Stealing 1st base - jury out. This one is interesting. Besides how weird it would be to get accustom to...there could be some 2nd/3rd order effects that are not good; but.... this may be ok.

Auto-UMP - TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea. A contracting/expanding strike zone is a feature (not a flaw) in baseball. I am willing to just accept the very rare egregious error on a bad ball/strike call as long as we continue to have the bigger zone for 3-0 counts and smaller for 0-2 counts and things in between. I like when the stud pitcher is painting corners in the late innings and the umpire is giving him more and more of the plate. I know for many/most fans what I'm saying seems ridiculous. There is a desire to eliminate as much ambiguity as you can in all sports. Not me... keep these humans involved. Keep the fans "emotional"... trust me....over time the BEST teams will still win the contests despite a few umpires missing a ball and strike here or there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-will-e...-first-base-in-atlantic-league-165213306.html

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I missed this from back in March, but found this when I saw another 'headline' regarding a new rule the Atlantic League will be implementing during the 2nd half of this season.

So.. MLB has partnered with the Atlantic League to use the league as a crucible to experiment with different rule tweaks.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-atlantic-league-announce-2019-changes

Here is a quick list:
  • The use of TrackMan radars to assist home plate umpires in calling balls and strikes
  • No mound visits for anything other than pitching changes or medical issues
  • The elimination of most defensive shifts by requiring two infielders on each side of second base
  • A three-batter minimum for pitchers, barring injuries
  • Moving the pitching rubber back an additional two feet (to 62 feet, 6 inches) during the second half of the season
  • Increase base size to 18 square inches (from 15 square in)
  • Reduce (by 20 seconds) the time between innings and pitching changes
  • [new for 2nd half of season] STEALING FIRST BASE - any pitch on any count not caught (by catcher) in flight will be a live ball and batter may attempt to reach 1st base from batters box (similar to 3rd strike rule now)

General comment... these rules generally fall into 2 buckets:
1) Improve pace of play
2) Generate more balls in play/offense
[there is irony in that solutions to these 2 'problems' usually are in conflict]

No need for me/us to panic, yet. These are simply being tested...likelihood of any or many making it to MLB is still pretty low.

Ok... Let's start with what I like.

No mound visits - LOVE IT. Seems reasonable to me... you have a guy ready in bullpen, just make the call and have the guy come into game. All other visits to discuss defense or how to attack batters can be mitigated by better pre-game prep and/or increased signalling among players/bench.

[NOTE: The main culprits for pace of play are NOT time between pitches or even pitching changes. It is mound visits, time between innings, and the diminished size of foul territory in the new parks around baseball]

Eliminating defensive shifts - bad idea. Just beat the shift by hitting the ball where they are not. My limited "data set" just watching MLB games this year.. it seems more (not a lot...but more) guys/teams are choosing to make obvious attempts to beat shifts with those guys selectively bunting or slapping balls to vacant spots. This will fix the shift stuff over time.

3-batter minimum - bad idea. See my note above & strategizing of pitching matchups needs to remain in the game.

Moving rubber back to 62' 6'' - bad idea. Am I the only guy who likes pitching duels...or at least likes them when they happen to occur...which is less often, now? MLB is going to see more HRs (by far) this season. As of July, HRs up 20% and on pace to reach a record of 6624 total in 2019. Previous high was 6105 (in 2017). Hitters are doing just fine... no need to help them out even more.

Increased base size - jury out. I think I like this. If I understand how bases are placed, this will only reduce the distance 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd by a few inches. So...no advantage on beating out a ground ball from batter box to 1st. Will be a big advantage to base stealers and likely you'll see more guys going 1st to 3rd on hits to outfield or going for the double/triple more often. That should increase offensive/aggressive type play. I am all for that "idea" at least.

Reduce time between innings/pitching changes - good idea. I am fine with this; but MLB will have a problem implementing this given how much they need the TV revenue.

Stealing 1st base - jury out. This one is interesting. Besides how weird it would be to get accustom to...there could be some 2nd/3rd order effects that are not good; but.... this may be ok.

Auto-UMP - TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea. A contracting/expanding strike zone is a feature (not a flaw) in baseball. I am willing to just accept the very rare egregious error on a bad ball/strike call as long as we continue to have the bigger zone for 3-0 counts and smaller for 0-2 counts and things in between. I like when the stud pitcher is painting corners in the late innings and the umpire is giving him more and more of the plate. I know for many/most fans what I'm saying seems ridiculous. There is a desire to eliminate as much ambiguity as you can in all sports. Not me... keep these humans involved. Keep the fans "emotional"... trust me....over time the BEST teams will still win the contests despite a few umpires missing a ball and strike here or there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-will-e...-first-base-in-atlantic-league-165213306.html
I'm for robotic umpires it would make for more consistant home plate officiating

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I'm for robotic umpires it would make for more consistant home plate officiating
I like the robotic umpire, no mound visits. I love the three batter minimum. Without injury, I’d like to see each pitcher go an entire inning. Caveat: should 5 runs score, you can take the pitcher out, to the showers! Leave the defensive shifts in. Bases, pitching rubber, leave alone. No stealing first base.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I like the robotic umpire, no mound visits. I love the three batter minimum. Without injury, I’d like to see each pitcher go an entire inning. Caveat: should 5 runs score, you can take the pitcher out, to the showers! Leave the defensive shifts in. Bases, pitching rubber, leave alone. No stealing first base.
I'm for not allowing the shift and have infielders play each batter straight up:cigar: