Minimum to be good (Recruiting related)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The QB makes the biggest difference. Getting the right athlete at that position is essential for any team. The really good teams all have top QB's. D needs great DL player or two and great cover corners. All positions are important but lots of good players can fill those. We didn't have any outstanding players on D except maybe AJ. The rest were good players just not all ACC caliber.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Adidas deal will be big for us--probably bigger than we know.
GT needs a serious swagger injection, and Adidas will help.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
To quote vintage Lee Corso, there's not enough hardnosed smart people.

I leave it at that though I expect he's right.

Tech had 31,000 applications last year, and there aren't 15 "hardnosed smart people" we can recruit for football? Sorry, I don't buy it.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The QB makes the biggest difference. Getting the right athlete at that position is essential for any team. The really good teams all have top QB's. D needs great DL player or two and great cover corners. All positions are important but lots of good players can fill those. We didn't have any outstanding players on D except maybe AJ. The rest were good players just not all ACC caliber.

Give me 5 very good OL and a mediocre QB and I'll give you a great QB and 5 mediocre OL and my offense will be better than yours. My QB will probably appear to be a "top QB" as compared to yours, because most people just watch the ball.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tech had 31,000 applications last year, and there aren't 15 "hardnosed smart people" we can recruit for football? Sorry, I don't buy it.
Your problem, among others is, and I hope it is not a Tech problem, the math of the thing. 15 players will get you a basketball team with depth -- you hope -- 15 football players gets you less than a fifth of what you need to play football with the big boys. Moreover, accepting the anecdotal "hardnose" as the baseline ignores the reality -- think Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State for instance -- that you better bulk up inside. Big time, to 295-315 pounds tackle to tackle.And that is the anecdotal rub. The Big Uglies, as my Tech friend refers to them. And if you want to play at the level of those I just named, make sure you get two deep at every position. It is not creeping toward 85 now, but galloping toward those 85 scholarships. Gets a bit harder, doesn't it?

slugboy

Staff member
Give me 5 very good OL and a mediocre QB and I'll give you a great QB and 5 mediocre OL and my offense will be better than yours. My QB will probably appear to be a "top QB" as compared to yours, because most people just watch the ball.
That's how Vinny Testaverde got a Heisman--he and a bunch of other UM quarterbacks in the 90's would just sit and wait and wait for a receiver to come open. Your QB rating can be fantastic when you have a huge pocket and all day to throw.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's how Vinny Testaverde got a Heisman--he and a bunch of other UM quarterbacks in the 90's would just sit and wait and wait for a receiver to come open. Your QB rating can be fantastic when you have a huge pocket and all day to throw.
Like Blake Bortles in Jacksonville this year?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, there are a group of GT fans with a major inferiority complex stating the same old rhetoric over and over.
Sure we have issues, but none that can't be fixed.
We are in a P5 Conference and have the opportunity that a lot of other non P5 schools wish they had.
Among other things, we need to make academics a strong recruiting tool and not a negative.
My fear is that CPJ is over is head at this level and we can't let him pull a Paul Hewitt to our football program.
I have been a GT fan since attending grad school classes in 1982.
I have been a season ticket holder for football and basketball for over 25 years before moving out of state.
I have seen us win a football National Championship, play in major bowls, reach the Final Four and College World Series ... it CAN happen !

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO, there are a group of GT fans with a major inferiority complex stating the same old rhetoric over and over.
Sure we have issues, but none that can't be fixed.
We are in a P5 Conference and have the opportunity that a lot of other non P5 schools wish they had.
Among other things, we need to make academics a strong recruiting tool and not a negative.
My fear is that CPJ is over is head at this level and we can't let him pull a Paul Hewitt to our football program.
I have been a GT fan since attending grad school classes in 1982.
I have been a season ticket holder for football and basketball for over 25 years before moving out of state.
I have seen us win a football National Championship, play in major bowls, reach the Final Four and College World Series ... it CAN happen !
You know, every football coach, every AD Tech has hired sings the same academic song. It is, as they say, in the book. Look it up: academics already are sold as a recruiting plus, so I am not sure where this "new" idea originated. (See countless recruit comments about the sales tactic to their parents.) But there it is, and every year a bunch of players say they chose GT "for the education" and every year the same players make their point and take the easiest course Tech offers -- note I said easiest, not easy -- to the easiest degree, and every year Johnson graduates them. Your "recruiting tool", my friend, is what got GT in this position in the first place. It is both funny and sad in a way that one proclaims the path is academic excellence, and then turns it over to the football coach to implement. (You're just the idea guy; how they do it is up to them?) Tech is what it is so stop kidding yourself that you're going to recruit 85 Sean Bedfords. Stop setting a ridiculous goal given Tech's own reputation and then blaming its failure on the latest football coach. Want to become a legitimate P5 annual power? Become a legitimate university and get some of those sociology, parks and recreations, criminal justice stuff. There. I just solved the problem. See to it.