Mike Linebacker Blocking

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I Wonder if CPJ tipped his cap to The defense coordinators of ND and Duke when he mentioned at half time at the Tulane game that we could not seem to block and control the MIKE Linebacker ; We never were able to block that guy from Tulane the whole game and it appeared that that was the case in the ND and Duke game also; Just my observation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I Wonder if CPJ tipped his cap to The defense coordinators of ND and Duke when he mentioned at half time at the Tulane game that we could not seem to block and control the MIKE Linebacker ; We never were able to block that guy from Tulane the whole game and it appeared that that was the case in the ND and Duke game also; Just my observation.
Everybody wants their mike to run free and make plays, it's not revelation. Not everybody's mike is as athletic as the two we've seen so far.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone posted recently that we seem to have trouble with smaller, safety size linebackers. The thought was immediately dismissed and no one else commented. But I think there may be something to that. Cash was a prime example. That single player disrupted darn near everything we tried, running or passing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Someone posted recently that we seem to have trouble with smaller, safety size linebackers. The thought was immediately dismissed and no one else commented. But I think there may be something to that. Cash was a prime example. That single player disrupted darn near everything we tried, running or passing.

Yep. Shot lots of gaps. Seemed like no one knew who was supposed to block the guy. There was one play in particular where we tried to read the blitzing linebacker as the first option, but he blew up the play and forced a fumble. I can't imagine that was by design. Seems like right tackle should have picked him up and let the DE be the read.

Declinometer

Banned
There was a time when the A back would go in motion, like usual, and then stop and return to his original position for the play to be run. This did two things. It allowed the line the opportunity to see how the defense was going to react and made by honest in regards to the snap count.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I guarantee you the game film spoke volumes more than CPJ's comment at the half.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Shot lots of gaps. Seemed like no one knew who was supposed to block the guy. There was one play in particular where we tried to read the blitzing linebacker as the first option, but he blew up the play and forced a fumble. I can't imagine that was by design. Seems like right tackle should have picked him up and let the DE be the read.
On the play with the forced fumble , r-fr klock was in and he and blocked into burden's butt while 16 was standing to his right. Going to be good but not on that play.

Yea I brought up that we did well against SEC sized lb but have struggled with more of the old Roverback types. If not the line men it could be the plays are developing slower.

I have watched the film of orange bowl and the duke game while looking for differences. IMO the blocking is not as crisp AND the backfield seems slower and deeper from the line of scrimmage. At Duke Seems like ab and qb bows further back than orange bowl . In particular seems like in past the ab was going parallel to line when he crossed center - ditto qb seems to run away from line of scrimmage.

Going to be fun watching unCheat

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought the same thing watching notre dame and duke games. Seems like qb is not quite as fast to the edge and not forcing the commit as much as at the end of last year or sometimes has to wait a split second on the pitch because the a-back isn't quite there at the right time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's my take. Coach sees what defenses are doing, he's seen it before 1000 times and know how to defeat it.

It's nothing new.

For some reason this year's team cannot execute the plays last year's team could.

This is why I still have faith in our scheme and our coach. When we get the guys coached up, they'll be able to execute the plays. This may truly be a rebuilding year. It all depends on how long it takes for our new guys to learn it and our old guys to settle down.