Mike Greenberg tears the Georgia Bulldogs a new ***crack

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Ten minutes ago, on Mike & Mike. Greenberg began by discussing Kirby Smart's "adjustment" in Georgia's transfer policy and how Smart was quoted as saying he wouldn't let players leave Georgia if they might play for an opponent someday, including one backup O-lineman.

"You know what? Shame. On. You. You're scared of some 19 year old kid going someplace, a guard? Who is barely playing for you and that's why he wants to transfer in the first place? You're terrified to allow him to go play for someone on your schedule? You're making millions of dollars! This is this kid's one chance in life to play college football. He should be allowed to go wherever the hell he wants! And for some coach to restrict it because it's in conference, or might be on a schedule, is a disgrace.

"Wake up Mark Emrich, and tell the schools they can't do that. It's a disgrace. And I yelled at Bo Ryan about this years ago, and he's never spoken to me again and I don't care...and and and...Kirby Smart may never speak to me ever again, and I don't care. If a kid decides for whatever reason he wants to go to a different school, and play football or do whatever, that is his one chance in life. You got to go take whatever job you wanted, and take millions of dollars. This is an absolute disgrace.

"Bo Ryan told me it was standard operating procedure. But it wasn't at Georgia, because Kirby Smart just changed it. The previous head coach at Georgia let 19 year old kids go to school wherever the hell they wanted because he wasn't afraid of them, like the new head coach obviously is."

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yes we do. It is standard operating for most schools but under Richt UGA let them transfer wherever (JJ Green came to us) and their AD McGarity was quoted as saying they were on mor eof the high ground compared to other schools (he meant Tech because this was the Carter issue) and they had "the student's best interest in mind."

Now McGarity is siding with Smart in this which is the worst offense I think.

Scholarships are technically 1 year so if the coaches can not renew the kids scholarship (looking at you Bama and Tenn) then the kids should be able to transfer wherever.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I will be curious as to how much Alabama sleaze he will bring over. Will he start running off players who don't perform as well as expected? Will he promise kids a scholarship in October, only to the same kids in January: "sorry, but someone better has come along. You don't have a scholarship after all."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You can transfer within the ACC, the league just makes the players sit out TWO years (unless it's a grad transfer), which pretty much makes it prohibitive for almost any transfer. It's why we were out of the running for a high level basketball transfer out of Clemson a few years ago.

You can transfer within the ACC, the league just makes the players sit out TWO years (unless it's a grad transfer), which pretty much makes it prohibitive for almost any transfer. It's why we were out of the running for a high level basketball transfer out of Clemson a few years ago.
Thanks. I believe that is correct. Slavery is alive and well within the ACC and in Athens, GA.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It is a free country. AFAIK, a student (athlete or not) can transfer to any school they want to. Is it not just a matter of sitting out one year and not being on a ship (which of course could be a huge burden I understand)?

Regardless, where is the AJC smart azz carvell? He ripped us on a supposed situation he had no facts on, and I have heard nothing from him about coach Smartazz.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I just want to know what burr in his saddle Smart has about Miami. They're not going to play each other. Does Smart have that much antipathy toward Richt?
I really couldn't care less otherwise what Smart's transfer rules are. We don't let guys go to ACC schools or to Georgia when they leave. And I'm OK with those stipulations.

33jacket, I get your point and it's a good one. It's one of my biggest problems with James Franklin, who tells kids they need to commit to a coach and not a school, as opposed to PJ's belief a kid needs to commit to a school. What if that coach leaves? What does he tell the kids? Love coaching ya, but this NFL money is too much to turn down. See ya?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think the problem with Miami for him is the possibility of tampering by the coaches that already have relationships with the team. He does seem to be acting a little like a ***** about it, and the AD quotes (after being so sanctimonious earlier on the exact same issue) just shows their gross hypocrisy. I hope Demetris can see through their facade.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said here earlier that I bet that Smart would bring a lot of Satan practices to Ugag and for good reason: they haven't won any championships recently by playing it straight. I'm willing to guess that this will be a problem going forward for them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I honestly don't have a huge problem with these restrictions. I'd be fine if Tech did the same and I'd be fine if they had zero restrictions on transfers.

Yeah coaches can leave...they can also get fired. Should players be able to veto a fire?

The schools grant these S/As scholarships and they take up a scholly "spot" that could have prevented another S/A from attending due to limited number of spots. So their COMMITNENT affects not only themselves but others in and out of the program as well. That gives the schools standing to place limitations imo.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I do not think schools should be able to block kids from transferring wherever they want.

Tech definitely used to restrict transfers from going to UGA or another ACC school. I am 99% sure that I read that we recently changed this policy (after Carter). I can't find a link now, but I am certain I read that. If so, good for Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Can we back track a moment on a statement made earlier? I thought Tech offered four year scholarships. At the very least my understanding is that Tech would not yank a scholarship from a player simply because someone else came along that they liked better. So, anyway, I thought the point of Tech's no transfer policy was that "we made a commitment to you that we are not going to break so we expect you to keep your commitment to us." Alabama is different because they reserve the right to revoke a scholarship any time they want while prohibiting the athlete from ending his relationship with them any time he wants.