Mike Bobinski at Lunch Bunch

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is borrowed from another forum, but I thought what Mike Bobinski said was interesting. I like Mike, he's not 'flashy' like DRad, but Tech doesn't need flashy, Tech needs some foundation repair......

10614277_10152241603056759_2440810878387031707_n.jpg

LegalBees wrote: I was there. You know, every time I start to get down on MBob and the GTAA for various reasons, I hear him speak, and I always come away so impressed and appreciative that this guy actually gets it. I'll report what I remember, in no particular order, and hope others will fill any gaps or corrections. With so much going on in college athletics now, there was probably less about GT specifically and more about the general direction things are heading.

- He is really impressed with the way the football team is much more focused and playing together and harder this year over last year at this point. While he mentioned no names, having everyone fully committed to the team, each other, the goals, and the process is making a big difference. Went two weeks at full intensity. At a recent practice, they ran 110 plays and never put the ball on the ground.

- Smelter is stepping up and showing signs he may have a future after college.

- All three quarterbacks contributing and taking many reps.

- Front line was big issue last year, but has some depth and promise this year.

- D will be biggest question, but not for lack of talent or effort - just needs some experience.

- The floor in the weight room had become a safety hazard, so they have totally rebuilt it, including a nutrition station where the athletes can get proper nutrition right on site.

- Has just about finished reorganizing upper management at the GTAA. Expects to announce soon the return of a very familiar name to a major role in AA. Has had to make some tough decisions and replace some excellent people, but they also need to be the right people for us to move forward. No longer good enough to say this is how it is. Will now be what are we doing to improve and move forward.

- No magic number of wins, but more wins than losses is always a good starting place. It really all depends on whether they did the best they could or could have done better under the circumstances. Goal is to lay the ground work for consistent performance, not sacrifice the future for now. Also, must be successful in a manner consistent with the school's traditions and reputation that we can all be proud of.

- "We need to have each others back more." Surprised by so much general negativity. As outsider coming in, he is so impressed with everything TECH does and is, so he has a hard time understanding why we are not more proud of what and who we are instead of being so negative about who and what we are not. We have so much to be proud of and others are envious of us, but we elect to focus on other things and fight among ourselves. We must define ourselves instead of letting others do it for us.

- There are currently 3 major lawsuits working their way through the system that will affect every aspect of college athletics.

1) Involving concussions - similar to the what the NFL already had. No real argument because deals with player safety. Tech is already ahead on this issue and will basically level the playing field because it will force others to live up to the same standards.

2) The Obannon (sp) case - dealing with player names, likeness, images, etc. NCAA is appealing and vows to take to the Supreme Court so it will be years before resolved. While generally hard to argue in concept, the execution will be a mess, mainly because of #3. Requires colleges to compensate athletes for televising events and using their image, number, etc.

3) Anti-trust lawsuit. This is the one that has the potential to destroy college athletics. The claim is basically that any rules that force all schools to treat athletes the same violates anti-trust laws. Schools could no longer say "here is what athletes get for coming here." Instead, each player would be allowed to negotiate their own, individual scholarship amount and other perks, so they would go to the highest bidder.

- Basically, the BEST possible outcome from the direction college athletics is moving now is everything stays the same but it just costs everyone a lot more to get the same results.

- Question about school colors. Understands it is important, but dreams of the day when THAT is his biggest problem left to resolve.

- Ollie is returning for senior year and is currently number 1 ranked amateur golfer in the world. Had MANY offers to go pro and played some tournaments over the summer, but will return to lead team, finish his degree, watch his brother play baseball for us, and be close to his girlfriend on our (Tennis?) team.

- Back areas of Chandler stadium are being completely renovated. Were never really completed originally and has to be done.

- CBG is working hard with the team to play more as a team later in the games. We typically play very well until the last 10 minutes or so, then everyone tries to win on their own instead of as a team.

- The Hill is doing everything they can to assist. Approved 12 of 12 non-standard admissions, but now the athletes have to prove they deserved the opportunity. All of the support is there, now just have to make sure they take advantage of it.

- About 1/2 of all living GT alum graduated since 2000. Must get them more involved now so they will continue later when they become more successful, while also keeping the older alum happy, who currently contribute so much.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I post on the board you borrowed this from under the same name and this item got a lot of praise in the thread.

"We need to have each others back more." Surprised by so much general negativity. As outsider coming in, he is so impressed with everything TECH does and is, so he has a hard time understanding why we are not more proud of what and who we are instead of being so negative about who and what we are not. We have so much to be proud of and others are envious of us, but we elect to focus on other things and fight among ourselves. We must define ourselves instead of letting others do it for us.

To which I'd say this... thanks to everyone on THIS board for actually striving to embody the point MBob makes above. Whether you're a total GT homer or in opposition to the current state of our programs, everyone on this board does a great job of being constructive, as opposed to being snarky, sniping, or downright bashing our coaches, players, & each other.

Thanks again to everyone here.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
@Lexjacket Thanks for posting this, can you link to the original source? This is a great summary and would like to give credit where credit is due. :)

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I post on the board you borrowed this from under the same name and this item got a lot of praise in the thread.

"We need to have each others back more." Surprised by so much general negativity. As outsider coming in, he is so impressed with everything TECH does and is, so he has a hard time understanding why we are not more proud of what and who we are instead of being so negative about who and what we are not. We have so much to be proud of and others are envious of us, but we elect to focus on other things and fight among ourselves. We must define ourselves instead of letting others do it for us.

To which I'd say this... thanks to everyone on THIS board for actually striving to embody the point MBob makes above. Whether you're a total GT homer or in opposition to the current state of our programs, everyone on this board does a great job of being constructive, as opposed to being snarky, sniping, or downright bashing our coaches, players, & each other.

Thanks again to everyone here.

Could not agree with you more, when I talked to Coach Johnson on Fan Day, I told him, "Coach I got your back", his answer was "I'm glad somebody does, I was beginning to wonder" :). I think it would be great if we started sending him e-mails, like the one I sent him yesterday....

Coach,
Don’t forget, I got your back!!!
Regards – Lexjacket J

upload_2014-8-20_11-52-41.png

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems that a lot of the conversation is about negativity & in-fighting. I heard the same message from Joe Ham when he was in Savannah. It's good that the GTAA is aware of this problem and is trying to bring a message of unity when they talk to the GT public. Now it is up to the GT fans to FINALLY come together & support the team/players/coaches. It is amazing what I see posted on Facebook from people who are supposed GT fans but say they will not support the team until "so & so is gone" or until "we start using a pro-style offense". I know that there will always be fans who are not happy with something but I feel we owe it to the GT players to be as positive as we can be & support them to the best of our ability. I appreciate all the true GT fans that are part of this sight and hope that GTSwarm will continue to spread the Good Word to all who are friends/fans/family of Georgia Tech.
Ok, off my soap box for today.
#TogetherWeSwarm!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
This is statement I copied to post. More meaningful coming from non grad. I know I am proud to wear my Tech colors in Aggie territory. Because of what Georgia Tech represents academically and athletically, while up holding higher morale and ethical standards than most all of the major universities in the country. We are not a farm team and never will be. We may not beat Georgia in football ever again as long as the playing field is not level but we need to be beating VT, Miami, FSU and Clemson at least half the time. Which may be difficult because the field is not level with them either.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
How can 50% of the alumni have graduated in the last 14 years? I guess I slept through the announcement that the size of the student body tripled in 1996 or so.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is borrowed from another forum, but I thought what Mike Bobinski said was interesting. I like Mike, he's not 'flashy' like DRad, but Tech doesn't need flashy, Tech needs some foundation repair......

10614277_10152241603056759_2440810878387031707_n.jpg

LegalBees wrote: I was there. You know, every time I start to get down on MBob and the GTAA for various reasons, I hear him speak, and I always come away so impressed and appreciative that this guy actually gets it. I'll report what I remember, in no particular order, and hope others will fill any gaps or corrections. With so much going on in college athletics now, there was probably less about GT specifically and more about the general direction things are heading.

- He is really impressed with the way the football team is much more focused and playing together and harder this year over last year at this point. While he mentioned no names, having everyone fully committed to the team, each other, the goals, and the process is making a big difference. Went two weeks at full intensity. At a recent practice, they ran 110 plays and never put the ball on the ground.

- Smelter is stepping up and showing signs he may have a future after college.

- All three quarterbacks contributing and taking many reps.

- Front line was big issue last year, but has some depth and promise this year.

- D will be biggest question, but not for lack of talent or effort - just needs some experience.

- The floor in the weight room had become a safety hazard, so they have totally rebuilt it, including a nutrition station where the athletes can get proper nutrition right on site.

- Has just about finished reorganizing upper management at the GTAA. Expects to announce soon the return of a very familiar name to a major role in AA. Has had to make some tough decisions and replace some excellent people, but they also need to be the right people for us to move forward. No longer good enough to say this is how it is. Will now be what are we doing to improve and move forward.

- No magic number of wins, but more wins than losses is always a good starting place. It really all depends on whether they did the best they could or could have done better under the circumstances. Goal is to lay the ground work for consistent performance, not sacrifice the future for now. Also, must be successful in a manner consistent with the school's traditions and reputation that we can all be proud of.

- "We need to have each others back more." Surprised by so much general negativity. As outsider coming in, he is so impressed with everything TECH does and is, so he has a hard time understanding why we are not more proud of what and who we are instead of being so negative about who and what we are not. We have so much to be proud of and others are envious of us, but we elect to focus on other things and fight among ourselves. We must define ourselves instead of letting others do it for us.

- There are currently 3 major lawsuits working their way through the system that will affect every aspect of college athletics.

1) Involving concussions - similar to the what the NFL already had. No real argument because deals with player safety. Tech is already ahead on this issue and will basically level the playing field because it will force others to live up to the same standards.

2) The Obannon (sp) case - dealing with player names, likeness, images, etc. NCAA is appealing and vows to take to the Supreme Court so it will be years before resolved. While generally hard to argue in concept, the execution will be a mess, mainly because of #3. Requires colleges to compensate athletes for televising events and using their image, number, etc.

3) Anti-trust lawsuit. This is the one that has the potential to destroy college athletics. The claim is basically that any rules that force all schools to treat athletes the same violates anti-trust laws. Schools could no longer say "here is what athletes get for coming here." Instead, each player would be allowed to negotiate their own, individual scholarship amount and other perks, so they would go to the highest bidder.

- Basically, the BEST possible outcome from the direction college athletics is moving now is everything stays the same but it just costs everyone a lot more to get the same results.

- Question about school colors. Understands it is important, but dreams of the day when THAT is his biggest problem left to resolve.

- Ollie is returning for senior year and is currently number 1 ranked amateur golfer in the world. Had MANY offers to go pro and played some tournaments over the summer, but will return to lead team, finish his degree, watch his brother play baseball for us, and be close to his girlfriend on our (Tennis?) team.

- Back areas of Chandler stadium are being completely renovated. Were never really completed originally and has to be done.

- CBG is working hard with the team to play more as a team later in the games. We typically play very well until the last 10 minutes or so, then everyone tries to win on their own instead of as a team.

- The Hill is doing everything they can to assist. Approved 12 of 12 non-standard admissions, but now the athletes have to prove they deserved the opportunity. All of the support is there, now just have to make sure they take advantage of it.

- About 1/2 of all living GT alum graduated since 2000. Must get them more involved now so they will continue later when they become more successful, while also keeping the older alum happy, who currently contribute so much.
So there's a snack bar in the weight room now you say?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How can 50% of the alumni have graduated in the last 14 years? I guess I slept through the announcement that the size of the student body tripled in 1996 or so.

Actually, the statistic only requires a radical increase in graduating classes. This could arise from a combination of increased enrollment and increased retention.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Wholeheartedly agree about Tech people being negative.

I am a sidewalk fan and have never understood why Tech people are so down. What an incredible place where people strive to be the best academically and athletically!

One of the reasons why I chose to be a Tech fan.
It's GT culture probably. They beat you down so much while you are student there.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Could not agree with you more, when I talked to Coach Johnson on Fan Day, I told him, "Coach I got your back", his answer was "I'm glad somebody does, I was beginning to wonder" :). I think it would be great if we started sending him e-mails, like the one I sent him yesterday....

Coach,
Don’t forget, I got your back!!!
Regards – Lexjacket J

View attachment 330
That's great stuff Lex. This is what we need. We as a fanbase - and that means every one of us as individuals - are responsible for making the GT culture what it is. And, we should strive for that culture to be one of family, love, support, etc. THAT is the main thing the average member of a board like this can do to actually positively affect the football program that he/she so obviously cares for so much as to be on this board. I LOVE that MBob is taking it upon himself to preach this:

And, all the GT faithful need to say ... "AMEN!"

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
MBob seems to be a pretty level-headed AD, no complaints here.

I have made it clear before that I don't understand advertising negativity as it is so clearly counter-productive. I was at a certain game where a QB made a timid run to the sideline and way too easily coughed up a fumble at a critical point in what ended up a loss. A woman in front of me turned to tell me (we had not spoken at all prior) that if she "never saw another option offense again it would be soon enough" to which I responded "if I never see a so-called pro offense again it will be soon enough." Of course, the fumble had nothing to do with the play call (I think it was play action pass anyway, as in a "pro" play) or the offensive philosophy overall but was a terrible individual play by a QB.

I actually do not particularly care what offense is run by the team I root for; the decision on offense is not mine to make and requires expertise. I am a Falcons fan as well so have two quite different offenses to follow in football. I can even be a fan of Matt Ryan despite the pain I felt at his destruction of Tech when at BC. But the vitriol and strongly irrational opinions of those who full-on despise option football does tend to make me more defensive of it. I am not really as much defensive of an offense or even a particular coach though as I am defensive of the team I root for. My point in responding to her contrariwise was more about suggesting "why the flip did you feel compelled to tell a stranger (albeit another Tech fan) how much you hate the offense? Particularly when offensive scheme is not to blame for what just set you off." Was she looking for moral support? Maybe someone can start support groups for people who hate CPJ or option football. But at least she vented in the heat of the moment and not on public forums that Tech's recruits visit.

Misery loves company and miserable people have this urge or compulsion to make their misery public. However, doing so is immature, illogical, counter-productive, and just plain pathetic. It is far better to try and be slow to criticize and then to do so in appropriate places, times, and ways.

MBob is right that Tech has nothing to be ashamed of in how it handles its business academically or athletically. This pride should be put more on display as it is enticing to others and thus beneficial and productive.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the statistic only requires a radical increase in graduating classes. This could arise from a combination of increased enrollment and increased retention.

There has been a significant increase in the size of graduating classes (and yes, higher enrollment and higher retention are both part of that), but it's not anything that I'd call "radical". Over the most recent five years, we've averaged about 50% more graduates than the final five years under the Quarter System (in the late nineties).

Undergraduate degrees awarded over the last 25 academic years:

AY 89-90 1847
AY 90-91 1829
AY 91-92 1884
AY 92-93 1975
AY 93-94 1885
AY 94-95 1867
AY 95-96 2122
AY 96-97 1794
AY 97-98 1912
AY 98-99 2028
[Quarter to Semester Conversion]
AY 99-00 1614
AY 00-01 2035
AY 01-02 2159
AY 02-03 2417
AY 03-04 2594
AY 04-05 2512
AY 05-06 2477
AY 06-07 2543
AY 07-08 2583
AY 08-09 2695
AY 09-10 2842
AY 10-11 3062
AY 11-12 2860
AY 12-13 3122
AY 13-14 3267​

By my tally, 37,078 alumni have been added in the past 14 years. Round that to 40k, and assume that figure, as MBob says, is half of all alumni—we conclude the existence of 40k alumni dating from before the semester conversion. In the ten years prior to that conversion, we averaged graduating about 1900 students per year. If we further assume an annual 3% mortality rate, we would have to have been accumulating alumni for only about 33 years to build up a pool of 40k by 1999.

I conclude that Georgia Tech did not exist before 1966. Ergo the Bobby Dodd era is a myth.:eek:

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There has been a significant increase in the size of graduating classes (and yes, higher enrollment and higher retention are both part of that), but it's not anything that I'd call "radical". Over the most recent five years, we've averaged about 50% more graduates than the final five years under the Quarter System (in the late nineties).

Undergraduate degrees awarded over the last 25 academic years:

AY 89-90 1847
AY 90-91 1829
AY 91-92 1884
AY 92-93 1975
AY 93-94 1885
AY 94-95 1867
AY 95-96 2122
AY 96-97 1794
AY 97-98 1912
AY 98-99 2028
[Quarter to Semester Conversion]
AY 99-00 1614
AY 00-01 2035
AY 01-02 2159
AY 02-03 2417
AY 03-04 2594
AY 04-05 2512
AY 05-06 2477
AY 06-07 2543
AY 07-08 2583
AY 08-09 2695
AY 09-10 2842
AY 10-11 3062
AY 11-12 2860
AY 12-13 3122
AY 13-14 3267​

By my tally, 37,078 alumni have been added in the past 14 years. Round that to 40k, and assume that figure, as MBob says, is half of all alumni—we conclude the existence of 40k alumni dating from before the semester conversion. In the ten years prior to that conversion, we averaged graduating about 1900 students per year. If we further assume an annual 3% mortality rate, we would have to have been accumulating alumni for only about 33 years to build up a pool of 40k by 1999.

I conclude that Georgia Tech did not exist before 1966. Ergo the Bobby Dodd era is a myth.:eek:

Good one. I always wondered where I was those first 2 yrs at Tech. lol