Michigan State glad

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I love this quote!

"Triple option can be a touchdown every play, too, if you're not disciplined in all phases,'' Calhoun said, asked about the Bears ability to score quickly. "Against a Baylor offense, if one person is out of position, we're still fine. Against a Georgia Tech offense, if one person is out of position, that's a touchdown.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I love this quote!

"Triple option can be a touchdown every play, too, if you're not disciplined in all phases,'' Calhoun said, asked about the Bears ability to score quickly. "Against a Baylor offense, if one person is out of position, we're still fine. Against a Georgia Tech offense, if one person is out of position, that's a touchdown.

But our offense is "not built for a quick strike" according to every announcer that has called a Tech game.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I love this quote!

That's a far cry from calling it a "high school offense", isn't it?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If anything is a "high school offense", it's what all these guys out in Texas are running. Art Briles was coaching HS very recently, as was Chad Morris. They have the 7 on 7 leagues all offseason, so they are very comfortable throwing on a 3-5 step drop every down.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
If anything is a "high school offense", it's what all these guys out in Texas are running. Art Briles was coaching HS very recently, as was Chad Morris. They have the 7 on 7 leagues all offseason, so they are very comfortable throwing on a 3-5 step drop every down.

Actually, Briles' last year of coaching high school was 1999 (not quite "very recently") and he did very well in the Texas HS ranks, using a variety of offensive schemes -- including the wishbone before branching out, eventually to the then-cutting edge spread. Three years as an assistant to Mike Leach at TTech, then at Briles' first HC gig at Houston, he was known as quite the offensive innovator, not just a Mike Leach clone. http://www.chron.com/sports/college...-name-offense-is-hard-to-pin-down-1845998.php

Also read: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...t-briles-baylor-iowa-state-cyclones/16144921/

CPJ, Mike Leach, Art Briles -- it's HCs like them, offensive-minded innovators, that are needed for programs which can't recruit sufficient numbers of 4- and 5-star guys to complete against the factory programs.

Last edited:

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I was thinking of Briles' rise from HS head coach to D1 head coach, which was only 3 years. I think he's a hell of a coach (terrible at ranking teams, though) and runs a ridiculous (in a good way) offense. I was really just pointing out the stupidity of people calling our offense "high school" but gushing all over the Baylor spread, which has much closer ties to the high school game.