#MIAvsGT Vegas point spread

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
1667788577848.jpeg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tech favored by 1.5 points
Miami back to doing Miami things...mainly underachieving. Every year its the same thing, they start out in the top 25 and the "U is back" is proclaimed and then they lose to someone they have no business losing to and the wheels come off. This year in late September the U was still in the top 25 and then they lost to Middle Tennessee and Duke. They could have kept Manny and probably got about the same results and saved a lot of money. The talent on this team is undeniable but there is a brewing quarterback controversy so who knows? On paper they should beat Tech but after getting blown out by FSU there is no telling if they are ready to throw in the towel. We will see.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For me Miami really points out that there is so much more to recruiting evaluation than physical measurables, maybe the most important decision is what is the kid made of in heart and mindset.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Looking at common opponents, we look just a shade better I think. I'm hoping for the defense to snag a bunch of turnovers and shut Miami down. We are currently 2nd in TO margin at +15, Miami is tied for 113th at -7. Duke is 3rd in TO margin and had I think 8 takeaways.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Looking at common opponents, we look just a shade better I think. I'm hoping for the defense to snag a bunch of turnovers and shut Miami down. We are currently 2nd in TO margin at +15, Miami is tied for 113th at -7. Duke is 3rd in TO margin and had I think 8 takeaways.
Seems like they haven't played the same QB for four straight quarters, much less, two weeks in a row. They are really struggling with mistakes offensively. I agree (and hope) this is a BIG advantage to us since we have been very opportunistic on D. Hopefully our O looks more like the one that cashed in on those defensive opportunities against VT and not the one we saw against UVA...

FSU is playing good football right now. I wouldn't put much stock in that result, except maybe the hangover effect could benefit us. Your Duke example is a very good correlation though. I suspect we will see 2-3 QBs, hopefully none of them get comfortable.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Miami has bright days ahead of them. They have a good coach and recruiting (NIL) is going full steam. The growing pains are certainly worse than anyone expected though. We should handle them without too much of a problem.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems like they haven't played the same QB for four straight quarters, much less, two weeks in a row. They are really struggling with mistakes offensively. I agree (and hope) this is a BIG advantage to us since we have been very opportunistic on D. Hopefully our O looks more like the one that cashed in on those defensive opportunities against VT and not the one we saw against UVA...

FSU is playing good football right now. I wouldn't put much stock in that result, except maybe the hangover effect could benefit us. Your Duke example is a very good correlation though. I suspect we will see 2-3 QBs, hopefully none of them get comfortable.
Tech is #2 in the nation in turnover margin. Miami, with its "turnover chain", is tied for 113th:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is one I expected to be a loss before the season started, now I expect it to be a win.

They have had a ton of injuries and the switch to the new staff has gone poorly.
They tried to bring back their starting QB during the game against FSU and he re-aggravated his injury. I do not expect him to play this week. Their offense is a total mess.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech is #2 in the nation in turnover margin. Miami, with its "turnover chain", is tied for 113th:

Their new HC threw the chain in the trash can. They're facing a bigger culture change than us and looked better against FSU than the score indicates. Their offense looked about like ours vs UVA for very similar reasons: they didn't have a QB ready. I always guess low scoring vs high scoring games wrong, so I'm probably wrong, but I'll be shocked if more than 30 pts are scored in this game. Something like 7-6 may be a realistic final score.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Their new HC threw the chain in the trash can. They're facing a bigger culture change than us and looked better against FSU than the score indicates. Their offense looked about like ours vs UVA for very similar reasons: they didn't have a QB ready. I always guess low scoring vs high scoring games wrong, so I'm probably wrong, but I'll be shocked if more than 30 pts are scored in this game. Something like 7-6 may be a realistic final score.
I didn't watch the game, but did they really look better than the score?
1667923150303.png

slugboy

Staff member
Tech being favored is the kiss of death
If it makes you feel better, the stats models I’ve looked at favor Miami so far. SP+ has Miami by 7.1 (and favored VT over us by about 5.5 IIRC), ESPN favors them 55%-45%, etc. Some others will come out later today and later this week.

Overall, most of the stats guys like Miami a lot more than us. If we win, it's grit, luck, and heart. However, not as big an upset as Duke or Pitt.
1667924654799.png

I didn't watch the game, but did they really look better than the score?
View attachment 13479

Well, this view of their performance is pretty harsh
1667923528860-png.13480

and so did this one:

Attachments

• 1667923528860.png
    1667923528860.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 307
Last edited: