1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Miami NCAA sanctions today at 10 AM

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Eric, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

Will be interesting to see what they get, I would not think it is much.

2. bat_082994

bat_082994 Helluva Engineer

So you're saying that they didn't get the death penalty? ;)

3. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

One more year of post season ban, and they, Duke, and Md go ham on vpi.

Pj4prez01 and bat_082994 like this.
  4. bat_082994

and we win out in the ACC

5. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

6. Tempest_12

Tempest_12 Ramblin' Wreck

7. ramblinvak

ramblinvak Helluva Engineer

NCAA loses more and more credibility by the day. this is ridiculous!

JazzyD95 and Pj4prez01 like this.
  8. GaTechYellowJackets

GaTechYellowJackets Jolly Good Fellow

Looks like taking themselves out of ACC champ. (maybe bowl game too, I can't remember?) last year helped a little bit. This was about what I expected.

9. GTJason

GTJason Helluva Engineer

They seem to be hitting basketball a little harder with one scholarship per year for 3 years. That's not insignificant for basketball but still just a slap on the wrist. Haith, the guy who participated in extortion and various other crimes is only being suspended for 5 games. This story details Haith's involvement: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...s-coach-frank-haith-suspended-five-games-ncaa Does anyone else think Haith is just as guilty if not more so than Shapiro? Paid Shapiro $10K to keep quiet about illegal recruiting contact.

*I was going to put this in the basketball thread but wanted to keep the conversations regarding the ruling in one thread so Mods feel free to move this if needed.

10. collegeballfan

collegeballfan Helluva Engineer

Losing one scholarship per year for 3 years is a significant penalty for Miami basketball.

But as usual the NCAA penalizes the institution and not the guilty person. A 5 game suspension is a joke. Why not suspend him from coaching in the NCAA Basketball Tournament for a year?

bat_082994 likes this.
  11. daBuzz

daBuzz Helluva Engineer

They got off lightly. And Bama and UNC will get off even lighter when their investigation is completed. Which will be quite some time from now.

The reason? Because the NCAA really doesn't want to punish the schools that make it a lot of money.

12. bat_082994

Of course they don't. If those schools lose money, then so will the NCAA and the NCAA doesn't like to lose money

13. cyptomcat

cyptomcat Helluva Engineer

Haith part is ridiculously low. Bruce Pearl got three years for a similar crime (lying to ncaa about hosting a bbq.)

14. cyptomcat

That's not it all. Ncaa is inconsistent and incompetent. USC will be missing 10 scholarships next season, Miami? Total of 9 in next 3 (USC total 30.) USC is as valuable to NCAA.

JazzyD95 likes this.
  15. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

Basically all you have to do is be nice when the NCAA comes to investigate and you are good to go.

16. ATL1

ATL1 Helluva Engineer

They'll be the most dominant team in the Atlantic next year.

17. cyptomcat

I am not sure that's all of it. I didn't read the ~100 page report, but according to the below, Haith was not 'nice' at all and he is getting away with a 5-game-suspension. It doesn't even have to do with Miami as he has left Miami. NCAA doesn't make sense at all, they are spiraling out of reason.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...this-penalty-and-bruce-pearl-get-that-penalty