Miami @ GT Game thread

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
What CBG started with and what Paul left are 2 different things. Shumpert and Oliver were on the team as well. One year off of recruiting Favors. Its up to CBG to convince Shump and Oliver to stay. Its CBG'S coaching assistant that had Glenn Jr in his car with a loaded gun on the streets of Atlanta. It's CBG who couldn't coach up a talented Royal. It's CBG who hasn't successfully recruited a highschool All American to Tech. Again seems like a nice enough guy but the results are the results.

That year was a weak draft year. It was best for Shumpert to enter the NBA draft at that time and he knew it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's been long enough that CBG doesn't have the "empty cupboards" excuse anymore.

I've seen folks say our O is still bad due in part to Hewitt holdovers. Really? He wasn't the boogeyman.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If the players are tired at the end of the game, then their conditioning sucks. Not having a true PG is whose fault? Not teaching post passing is whose fault? Not making ball security a priority is whose fault? Hunt not having fire is whose fault? Bolden being allowed to continue to fire up bricks and play crap defense is whose fault? Not explain to Holsey, you don't have to shoot every freaking time you get the ball. You can pass out to the wing for an open look is whose fault? Looking at the first roster and seeing the glaring weaknesses on offense and not recruiting a scorer in the first class is whose fault? Gregory wasn't handed the ideal situation, but when replacing a coach how many times are going to be handed a bed of roses? He hasn't helped himself at all. Cremins was given a whole let less than Gregory and we know what he did. In four years Cremins took Tech from NOTHING to ACC touney champs. What will year four bring for Gregory?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Everyone makes Hewitt out to be chan frickin gailey. Last time I checked the guy took us to the ship and the tourney another 3 times right? Jeez, he wasn't the best coach but my best memories watching tech basketball were under him and Gregory has had plenty of time in my book to recruit his guys. He's had bad luck this year with injuries, but if no one was injured I think we only have 3-4 more wins this year. That's still just middle of the pack ACC. GT just got a new arena in the ACC in ATLANTA. This is the perfect place or pretty darn close for a 5 star basketball player to come that wants to play in the league, and yet he's an average recruiter, good defensive coach, and a terrible offensive coach. We need either a proven guy to come in that can recruit or we need a young guy that is making a smaller school look really good. Once we get everyone off the books I think he'll be gone. The new AD is a basketball guy and will want his own guy I would imagine.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
show me a team we have lost to that has more injuries than we do and ill consider your argument.

as far as coach putting players in position to get injured that is absurd to even consider. you are grasping at straws to back your side. did you not see carter get injured during the game? did you not see jorgenson injure his knee? how in the heck did our coach have anything to do with that?

what your seeing is what happens to a team that has to play players from the bottom half of its roster against acc starters.

Look guys, there will always be excuses available to explain away failure in any endeavor in life, whether it be basketball or anything else. There is never, ever, going to be a situation in life where you can say, everything was perfect, we could not have asked for a more favorable condition, and yet we still failed. You will always be able to find things, usually many things, that can be used to explain away the failure to succeed. This is not a path you want to go down, or you will find yourself wondering why we are always being cursed with the worst "luck." Instead, you want to look at the results themselves and remove any consideration of the circumstances that led to those results. And the reason for that is that every team is going to have "issues" to deal with. That stuff tends to balance out for everyone and it just comes down to recruiting and coaching.

The results are what they are. I said early on that we would likely win no more than 4 ACC games (regular season), or maybe five. I think now we'll probably win 2 more ACC games for a total of three. This is Georgia Tech basketball, Brian Gregory edition.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
One thing Paul could do is recruit, so I just called BS on the cupboard being bare comment.

As far as CBG, I never liked the hire, people at Dayton handclapped at his leaving and basically called it, his offense sucks. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but he is proving them more right than wrong. I haven't been a major fan of his recruiting either. He seems like a great guy and that goes along way as far as perception but the results are the results and so far not to good.[/quote
I call BS on this;
Hosley
Shumpert
Oliver
Udofia
Rice Jr.
Morris
Miller
& and incoming Royal.
were all on the team when CBG arrived. Him not convincing Shump & Oliver to stay is on him. He kicked Rice off the team. That's 2 NBA players and one that may make the league that were left for CBG, what happened from there is on him.
I just don't consider that roster very strong. Shumpert had no reason to stay another year and Rice Jr. wasn't all that good in college. He was a step slower than most and a ball hog. Miller is the only player on that list worth mentioning. Not making excuses for CBG because he hasntdone anything notably good since arriving. But until we have the $ to bring in a top notch coach we are stuck with him. I don't think he's an awful coach but he's just not getting the players that can execute his style of play. Especially not having your best player on the court. 2 more years and well see where we stand and go from there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Everyone makes Hewitt out to be chan frickin gailey. Last time I checked the guy took us to the ship and the tourney another 3 times right? Jeez, he wasn't the best coach but my best memories watching tech basketball were under him and Gregory has had plenty of time in my book to recruit his guys. He's had bad luck this year with injuries, but if no one was injured I think we only have 3-4 more wins this year. That's still just middle of the pack ACC. GT just got a new arena in the ACC in ATLANTA. This is the perfect place or pretty darn close for a 5 star basketball player to come that wants to play in the league, and yet he's an average recruiter, good defensive coach, and a terrible offensive coach. We need either a proven guy to come in that can recruit or we need a young guy that is making a smaller school look really good. Once we get everyone off the books I think he'll be gone. The new AD is a basketball guy and will want his own guy I would imagine.

Hewitt had one winning season in conference play in eleven season...ONE, and that's the year we made the championship game...and we were one game above .500 at 9-7. I'm sorry man, but that is completely unacceptable.

Gregory is recruiting just fine. He picked up Carter and Hunt, who will pan out to be good players, and Quinton Stephens will be a solid player if he can put on some weight. Jackson's coming in next year, and he's supposed to be a solid combo guard.

Hewitt left us in shambles...it's going to take more than just a few seasons to fix that...

That being said, we don't look any better against the zone this year than we did under Hewitt. We only scores 6 points in the first 12 minutes of the second half yesterday....6 points...I'm sorry man, but I can put together five guys off the street that can score 6 points in 12 minutes of play. If I was an opposing coach, I'd never line up in man defense against us...I'd just sit in zone all game long. It's ridiculous...

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
So what have I missed? After our games vs Dayton and St. Johns I have stayed away from Tech basketball... I made the mistake of turning on the game vs Miami. I turned it off after about 3 minutes... Coach is in way over his head.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt had one winning season in conference play in eleven season...ONE, and that's the year we made the championship game...and we were one game above .500 at 9-7. I'm sorry man, but that is completely unacceptable.

Gregory is recruiting just fine. He picked up Carter and Hunt, who will pan out to be good players, and Quinton Stephens will be a solid player if he can put on some weight. Jackson's coming in next year, and he's supposed to be a solid combo guard.

Hewitt left us in shambles...it's going to take more than just a few seasons to fix that...

That being said, we don't look any better against the zone this year than we did under Hewitt. We only scores 6 points in the first 12 minutes of the second half yesterday....6 points...I'm sorry man, but I can put together five guys off the street that can score 6 points in 12 minutes of play. If I was an opposing coach, I'd never line up in man defense against us...I'd just sit in zone all game long. It's ridiculous...

Program was far from shambles mediocre maybe but not shambles. Hewitt is gone he earned his termination but this guy Gregory didnt inherit a doormat and his offense is just down right terrible. Hewitt was canned 1 year after a tournament birth Gregory's working on year 3 lets see.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Program was far from shambles mediocre maybe but not shambles. Hewitt is gone he earned his termination but this guy Gregory didnt inherit a doormat and his offense is just down right terrible. Hewitt was canned 1 year after a tournament birth Gregory's working on year 3 lets see.

When you consider the talent that he was bringing in and the results he was turning out, it was pretty bad. Our PG play has been consistently bad since Jack left. Gregory's offense against man is better than Hewitt's, but it still looks like garbage against the zone (pretty much how things have been since 2006), and this goes back to guard play. Until we start attacking the gaps consistently, we're not going to look better on offense. At least Gregory mentions this consistently in post-game interviews...Hewitt didn't seem to even grasp the concept.

But it really doesn't matter. Bottom line is that we need to get better on offense, and at the end of the day, this typically is on the players on the court, not the coach on the bench. However, it's tough to assign any blame to either right now when your team is littered with injuries...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
When you consider the talent that he was bringing in and the results he was turning out, it was pretty bad. Our PG play has been consistently bad since Jack left. Gregory's offense against man is better than Hewitt's, but it still looks like garbage against the zone (pretty much how things have been since 2006), and this goes back to guard play. Until we start attacking the gaps consistently, we're not going to look better on offense. At least Gregory mentions this consistently in post-game interviews...Hewitt didn't seem to even grasp the concept.

But it really doesn't matter. Bottom line is that we need to get better on offense, and at the end of the day, this typically is on the players on the court, not the coach on the bench. However, it's tough to assign any blame to either right now when your team is littered with injuries...

100% correct on how to attack the zone. The thing is, to borrow from the football discussion, we need the jimmie's and joe's as much as a coach who can coach them to do it. There is not a single player at the 1-3 positions that is quick enough to penetrate or decisive enough to make a play once in there.

On top of which we look severely undersized at the 1-3 positions. MGH is the size of a 2-guard. The only way you make up for the size disadvantage against top competition is if those guys have some type of exceptional skill... ball handling, 3-pt shooting, quickness, defense, etc. None of our guys have that, and very little of it can be taught by the time players reach the college level.

This team needs impact players and a coach willing to give those players some freedom. Honestly some of those players are injured right now. It seems like there's some freedom to maneuver on offense, but the apparent handcuffs on offense might be more due to lack of playmakers who can freelance and create their own shot.

For a number of reasons GT's margin for error was slim just to reach .500 in conference this year, and we've already lost that margin and more.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Quote="CuseJacket, post: 28735, member: 274"]100% correct on how to attack the zone. The thing is, to borrow from the football discussion, we need the jimmie's and joe's as much as a coach who can coach them to do it. There is not a single player at the 1-3 positions that is quick enough to penetrate or decisive enough to make a play once in there.

On top of which we look severely undersized at the 1-3 positions. MGH is the size of a 2-guard. The only way you make up for the size disadvantage against top competition is if those guys have some type of exceptional skill... ball handling, 3-pt shooting, quickness, defense, etc. None of our guys have that, and very little of it can be taught by the time players reach the college level.

This team needs impact players and a coach willing to give those players some freedom. Honestly some of those players are injured right now. It seems like there's some freedom to maneuver on offense, but the apparent handcuffs on offense might be more due to lack of playmakers who can freelance and create their own shot.

For a number of reasons GT's margin for error was slim just to reach .500 in conference this year, and we've already lost that margin and more.[/quote]
Ive been saying much of this and last year that we should move MGH to the 2. Not due to lack of size, but for his ability to finish after contact. Also could add a new phase to his game by posting smaller 2 guards up and going to work. At the beginning of the year I thought we had enough to finish in the top 1/3 of the league. Losing Carter was HUGE and I think its being extremely overlooked. Jorgenson also needed this year to learn how to play in the ACC which will affect us next year. The ACC is not super strong this year and we aren't going to be able to take advantage of that. CBG needs to talk to coach Bud in ATL and run his system on offense. It doesn't need the jimmies and joes to be successful.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Look guys, there will always be excuses available to explain away failure in any endeavor in life, whether it be basketball or anything else. There is never, ever, going to be a situation in life where you can say, everything was perfect, we could not have asked for a more favorable condition, and yet we still failed. You will always be able to find things, usually many things, that can be used to explain away the failure to succeed. This is not a path you want to go down, or you will find yourself wondering why we are always being cursed with the worst "luck." Instead, you want to look at the results themselves and remove any consideration of the circumstances that led to those results. And the reason for that is that every team is going to have "issues" to deal with. That stuff tends to balance out for everyone and it just comes down to recruiting and coaching.

you are one negative nelly.