@Miami, Baseball

How many games will GT win @Miami? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 2 8.0%

Votes: 10 40.0%

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we are 7-11 in ACC play 4 under 500. Have to go 8-4 in the next 4 series to even have a prayer of a regular season bid. I still think that we need to go 9-3 since even with the wins, we'd have a low (50?) RPI. To get to a 45 RPI, Boyds World projects we need to win 14 or 15 of our last 19 games. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html So our back is totally against the wall.

We have not done well on the ACC road, losing to BC and L'Ville and swept by VT. Overall we are 3-10 in road games.

Miami is ranked 17th and 19-3 at home. 10-8 in ACC, they swept VT and FSU @Miami and won the NC State series @Miami.

If we win this series, it will be an upset and because we are playing better and reversing our recent trend. I'll guess on our wins when I see our pitchers. I hope / think Finley will be back since he played 1st last night and was a beast at the plate.

1681901956668.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hoping for at least 1...

Despite the route last night against Georgia State, we're not doing so good against the ACC competition.

Thanks to @GTNavyNuke for the power rating information on another thread, I never thought that we'd be at 74 this late in the season...

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
I got the game on...it's 5-0...right as I turned it on...3 run bomb for state by the guy with 1 HR all year. I was like maybe it's me and switched off.
That is a dumb comment. You think they said the same about Campbell’s second HR of the year?

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
This is the worst team we have had in a decade. I will be shocked if we scratch out a win in Miami.
The extra COVID year and transfer portal has changed the game. Lots of players playing this year that should have 9-5 jobs. Can’t rely on incoming freshman anymore, at least year 1. As you can see hardly any play. From what I have seen we are really good at finding hidden gems in the portal, but they seem to be offensively built, not defensively which hurts. I don’t think we will get any big name transfers until we figure out NIL $.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Not that serious dude. I was just poking fun at myself that maybe I was bad luck. And it's factual the guy had only hit 1 all year. Campbell missed some games.
My bad. With that, we just need consistency. Most of our pitchers have shown moments of being great, including Diamant. But the consistency has been an issue.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Staring Pitchers are out
1682089467037.png

Unfortunately, my best guess is we win 0 this weekend. Hope I am totally wrong and Schmolke and Finley both have lights out performances. Busse as a starter is a real wild card for me, and it means we don't have him for closing, which we know he is really good at. Don't get me wrong, desperate times call for desperate measures ..... so I don't second guess giving him the start. It just presents other issues.

Did McGuire have a setback? Didn't pitch last week, mid week, and not scheduled to start this week. Last I heard we were "stretching him out" to prep him for ACC starting action?

Game Notes

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Staring Pitchers are out
View attachment 14312

Unfortunately, my best guess is we win 0 this weekend. Hope I am totally wrong and Schmolke and Finley both have lights out performances. Busse as a starter is a real wild card for me, and it means we don't have him for closing, which we know he is really good at. Don't get me wrong, desperate times call for desperate measures ..... so I don't second guess giving him the start. It just presents other issues.

Did McGuire have a setback? Didn't pitch last week, mid week, and not scheduled to start this week. Last I heard we were "stretching him out" to prep him for ACC starting action?

Game Notes
I like this lineup of starting pitchers much more than who we trotted out last weekend. At least it gives us a fighting chance. Sure not having our normal closer is a bit scary but with the way our starting pitching has been we haven't had the chance to even use Busse in any meaningful capacity. Looking at the Miami starters their ERA's are not overwhelming so hopefully we can keep things close with the starters and go all caveman baseball at the plate. I think we win at least one and maybe two this weekend. Miami pitching gives up an average of 5.6 runs per game and scores about 7.4 while we score an average of 8.5 runs per game and give up about 7.9 runs per game. So if the averages on what they score and what we give up remain constant they should end up scoring in the 7-8 run range. Then it boils down to whether our scoring average remains constant. if so then we should be looking at three pretty close games. However, if their arms can keep our bats at bay then we will have a tough time but isn't that always the case throughout all baseball? We need to keep in mind that Miami has only won two more games than we have all season. It's not like they are awesome like Wake or UVA. They are beatable. Traditionally we have always played them tough. Hoping that remains the case this weekend.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I like this lineup of starting pitchers much more than who we trotted out last weekend. At least it gives us a fighting chance. Sure not having our normal closer is a bit scary but with the way our starting pitching has been we haven't had the chance to even use Busse in any meaningful capacity. Looking at the Miami starters their ERA's are not overwhelming so hopefully we can keep things close with the starters and go all caveman baseball at the plate. I think we win at least one and maybe two this weekend. Miami pitching gives up an average of 5.6 runs per game and scores about 7.4 while we score an average of 8.5 runs per game and give up about 7.9 runs per game. So if the averages on what they score and what we give up remain constant they should end up scoring in the 7-8 run range. Then it boils down to whether our scoring average remains constant. if so then we should be looking at three pretty close games. However, if their arms can keep our bats at bay then we will have a tough time but isn't that always the case throughout all baseball? We need to keep in mind that Miami has only won two more games than we have all season. It's not like they are awesome like Wake or UVA. They are beatable. Traditionally we have always played them tough. Hoping that remains the case this weekend.
Yeah, I agree that Finley is >> Smith for comfort level as a starting pitcher at this time ....... but other than that, we are "trotting out" 2/3s of the same guys that we "trotted out" last weekend. I guess the difference is that this is Busse's second start, so maybe he will have more of a feel for it. Do you know what his role was in previous stops (starter or reliever). I know that he didn't have nearly the success he has had here, and it was at lower levels.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You're not wrong, but also keep in mind they've achieved that record with the #5 SOS in the country. Our's is #50.

Again, I agree with you, but all records are not created equally.

Also they are very good at home and we are not good on the road.

I understand Busse as a starter, that way you know he is getting meaningful innings. If we are getting blown out, his usefulness as a closer is nil.

I guess 1 win. just because we are due for a weekend win on the road. But who knows, it's baseball. A sweep either way is a possibility, although much more likely for Miami. I'm certain I'll be drinking cold beer, not much more I'll guarantee.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys seem to be sleeping on King. He's our best pitcher (imo). I imagine a decision was made after the injuries to Brown & McGuire. Move either King or Busse to start.. other is the closer. Perhaps Busse provides more length or simply feels ready to start? Who knows.

We never saw King last weekend because.... well.... a closer wasn't needed (unfortunately) King started Tues limited to 2 innings. All set now... ready for the weekend.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys seem to be sleeping on King. He's our best pitcher (imo). I imagine a decision was made after the injuries to Brown & McGuire. Move either King or Busse to start.. other is the closer. Perhaps Busse provides more length or simply feels ready to start? Who knows.

We never saw King last weekend because.... well.... a closer wasn't needed (unfortunately) King started Tues limited to 2 innings. All set now... ready for the weekend.
So McGuire did reinjure?