Miami 1/4/23 - GAME THREAD

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I'd say the crowds were great. UVA brought a ton a fans. Miami didn't bring as many but they were vocally louder than our fans for large stretches of the game. The band was the only group of fans that was trying to counter the Miami chants
The Section 100-Band defense-offense counter chant is becoming a funny-sad trademark of McCamish this season. I wonder if people can hear those on TV.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The Section 100-Band defense-offense counter chant is becoming a funny-sad trademark of McCamish this season. I wonder if people can hear those on TV.
It is a bit sad, but what else can you do?, and I think it is effective. It’s better when more than just the pep band does it. You can’t just let the opponent’s fans take over the arena.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know if I'd say the crowds were great. UVA brought a ton a fans. Miami didn't bring as many but they were vocally louder than our fans for large stretches of the game. The band was the only group of fans that was trying to counter the Miami chants
Considering the sentiments expressed on this board (and others), and the performances in the last two games, they were very good.

Still a lot of support for the guys which is very encouraging. As I mentioned, add the students in and it would have been an awesome atmosphere.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It is a bit sad, but what else can you do?, and I think it is effective. It’s better when more than just the pep band does it. You can’t just let the opponent’s fans take over the arena.
I agree, it’s an unfortunate side effect of our major metropolitan city having thousands of alumni from all over the ACC in it. The counter chant makes me crack a smile every time at least.

If we are 3-3 going into Pitt, early semester, no school work, mid Saturday afternoon - the place will pack out.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Where is/are the poster(s) that whenever we lose are typing away about how bad our players are, our lackluster talent, non-ACC talent level players?? I stand firmly on our talent level it is ACC level 100%. Based on the ACC talent-level overall the last 2 years, multiple guys on our roster can start on a few or if not all of them. I asked the question last week about who on VA roster popped out as elite talent & I pretty much got crickets. So I'll ask who on Miami (currently 12th in country until new rankings drop) roster pops out as elite talent? Will take into account they were 5-30 from 3 & say they were off or had a bad night. Still no elite talent IMO.
They have seasoned/experienced players just like VA does. Their offensive system in place is working for them & aligned with their pool of talent. CJP made an adjustment last night b/c he had to try something different which we all can agree on & it worked in his favor. Specifically Lance getting wide open looks & making Deebo a primary ball handler which again I felt like he should have done way before last night, but JP had to try something. Lance strong drives complements his ability to make shots which he was able to do both last night. Deebo can handle the ball he was recruited as being a guard so just sticking him in the corner hasn't helped him at this level because he can offer so much more. His shot is still off, but he will start making those shots. Did he still run Princeton stuff most certainly he did, do I still dislike it heck yes, but the difference last night was he had guys on the floor all at the same time that warranted attention from the defense. Also, we didn't have guards going into the paint, pivoting pivoting pivoting pivoting pivoting & pivoting attempting to shoot over 3 taller defenders instead of finding the open guy spotted up. I actually heard the radio guy say the "one more" phrase he passed up a good shot for a great shot! Lance played 40 Miles was 35-36 Deebo played 35-36 mins, now I hope all them playing that many mins for the rest of the season continues to work, but 3 main scorers for you playing that many mins every games is a lot. JP used 4 timeouts in 1st half I believe or he used his 4th early in the 2nd half.

The win was great, but I hope this win serves some reassurance for JP that he can try something different this late in the season & the guys can adjust to it & not use them as the reason why you hadn't completely 🗑️ the Princeton offense. Those guys want to play fast.... he should let them play. Yes there will be turnovers, but hell our turnovers are bobbled passes, not catching it, falling down, or bad hand offs. So maybe if we get to playing fast, pitching ball ahead to lane runners & using primary break as some offense, our turnovers may go down. I know this is long I can go on some more, but I'm going to pause

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Where is/are the poster(s) that whenever we lose are typing away about how bad our players are, our lackluster talent, non-ACC talent level players?? I stand firmly on our talent level it is ACC level 100%. Based on the ACC talent-level overall the last 2 years, multiple guys on our roster can start on a few or if not all of them. I asked the question last week about who on VA roster popped out as elite talent & I pretty much got crickets. So I'll ask who on Miami (currently 12th in country until new rankings drop) roster pops out as elite talent? Will take into account they were 5-30 from 3 & say they were off or had a bad night. Still no elite talent IMO.
They have seasoned/experienced players just like VA does. Their offensive system in place is working for them & aligned with their pool of talent. CJP made an adjustment last night b/c he had to try something different which we all can agree on & it worked in his favor. Specifically Lance getting wide open looks & making Deebo a primary ball handler which again I felt like he should have done way before last night, but JP had to try something. Lance strong drives complements his ability to make shots which he was able to do both last night. Deebo can handle the ball he was recruited as being a guard so just sticking him in the corner hasn't helped him at this level because he can offer so much more. His shot is still off, but he will start making those shots. Did he still run Princeton stuff most certainly he did, do I still dislike it heck yes, but the difference last night was he had guys on the floor all at the same time that warranted attention from the defense. Also, we didn't have guards going into the paint, pivoting pivoting pivoting pivoting pivoting & pivoting attempting to shoot over 3 taller defenders instead of finding the open guy spotted up. I actually heard the radio guy say the "one more" phrase he passed up a good shot for a great shot! Lance played 40 Miles was 35-36 Deebo played 35-36 mins, now I hope all them playing that many mins for the rest of the season continues to work, but 3 main scorers for you playing that many mins every games is a lot. JP used 4 timeouts in 1st half I believe or he used his 4th early in the 2nd half.

The win was great, but I hope this win serves some reassurance for JP that he can try something different this late in the season & the guys can adjust to it & not use them as the reason why you hadn't completely 🗑️ the Princeton offense. Those guys want to play fast.... he should let them play. Yes there will be turnovers, but hell our turnovers are bobbled passes, not catching it, falling down, or bad hand offs. So maybe if we get to playing fast, pitching ball ahead to lane runners & using primary break as some offense, our turnovers may go down. I know this is long I can go on some more, but I'm going to pause
Excellent post! My thoughts exactly. I hate the Princeton offense, but when you put the very best offensive players on the court at the same time, rather than always overly emphasizing defense, good things can happen sometimes.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I still don't like the Princeton high post stuff we run for this team. I do not think it puts out guys in their best position to be successful which is the ENTIRE point of a system.

That said, we did start shooting better last night, which was pleasant to see. Love that the guys continue to play hard for Pastner, and hope we start trending back up again.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What happened? Like a different team.Of course having Terry come out of shadows and put on a SHOW was the key. Even with the TOs we shot well to overcome that and then also evened the REB battle.
2 stats jumped out at me-our FT% -89 (unreal) and their 3 pt -17%. What it all means going forward I don't know but it shows once in a while things click ..-
Lastly-note to all teams--be VERY careful when going on the road without the right attitude.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Pastner and the players deserve praise and credit for how they played and were coached last night. Excellent performance.

Interesting distribution of minutes. The two point guards got very few minutes in the first half. Smith was on the floor for much of the second half and played very well. He is a superior rebounder for a PG. He played mostly under control. He still can’t shoot but he limited the number of shots he did take. If he is used in this manner he can be an asset.

Good lord if Howard could hold on to the ball he would be a much better player. He simply has weak hands it seems.

Terry went off. Is this a one off game or a Turing point where he becomes a valued contributor? Hope the latter.

Kelly has become a solid ACC level player with room to improve. Probably our best player.

Debo had one of his better games.

Moore flashes great potential. He is very turnover prone when dribbling.

I suspect this will be the 8 player rotation going forward. Minutes will vary from game to game based on matchups and player performance.

We stayed in front of their guards fairly well last night. That was encouraging as it’s been a problem.

FSU on Saturday is a huge game. Losing would imply this game was a one off. Winning could mean better games ahead.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Don’t worry, they’ll (we, I guess I should say) likely be back soon

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sooner than we want - maybe 3pm tomorrow.
It’s a double edged sword, despite what many think, I want this program to be successful. I want them to pull in Georgia talent like shrimp in a bubba Gump boat but I also think that in order for that to happen some current leadership needs to take a walk.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a double edged sword, despite what many think, I want this program to be successful. I want them to pull in Georgia talent like shrimp in a bubba Gump boat but I also think that in order for that to happen some current leadership needs to take a walk.
I agree with you. I enjoy your posts. Pastner struck gold with Jose and Moses, but I don't see the likelihood of him striking gold again. There is no reason for this program to have to wait for him to strike gold.