Miami 1/4/23 - GAME THREAD

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well we are at least back to full strength, injury and health wise. Plus our big got back from Canada.

If we shoot like we are capable, anything can happen.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s increased by half a point since opening.

This almost sets up perfectly for “that game” when no one expects anything and Tech comes out guns blazing

If this team doesn't come out in "max-effort" mode tonight, then there is no hope.

We should be diving into the stands for loose balls, bodies on the floor all night, scratching and clawing for this one.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s increased by half a point since opening.

This almost sets up perfectly for “that game” when no one expects anything and Tech comes out guns blazing
There's gonna be some game where all our shots are falling. When that happens, our defense gets better and we can beat a Miami

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The players maybe can out-effort Miami’s players but no amount of effort from Pastner is going to allow him to out-coach Larranaga.

It’s kind of BS that we start the ACC schedule with 3 home games with no students and 1 away game that functionally had students (day after finals for UNC). Fighting ACC scheduling is beating a dead horse for Tech fans at this point though.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The players maybe can out-effort Miami’s players but no amount of effort from Pastner is going to allow him to out-coach Larranaga.

It’s kind of BS that we start the ACC schedule with 3 home games with no students and 1 away game that functionally had students (day after finals for UNC). Fighting ACC scheduling is beating a dead horse for Tech fans at this point though.
Students aren't worth 20 points. We were behind by near that when the opponents went into cruise control. As Connell said this game will take max effort for 40 minutes by every player on the court to compete. Will the players dig in and give everything they have or will they fold when Miami goes on a run which they will at some point.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am looking for 3 key things tonight:

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

1) MAX Effort and focus on swarming, relentlessly switching D in the paint and disabusing Miami of the notion they can score inside the paint tonight

Turn Over GIF by Arby's

2) Turnover Woes being fixed. We have got to be stealing possessions all night tonight and not giving up silly turnovers on passes through the hands, having our Forwards bring the ball up 3/4s of the floor, running the DANG HIGH POST PASS FROM RODNE.. (takes a moment and collects himself) y.

Come Lets Go GIF by DefyTV

3) Running some inside action to get guys going. Giving our Guards some easier look inside jumpshots and out F/C some good lanes for putbacks and dunks.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am looking for 3 key things tonight:

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

1) MAX Effort and focus on swarming, relentlessly switching D in the paint and disabusing Miami of the notion they can score inside the paint tonight

Turn Over GIF by Arby's's

2) Turnover Woes being fixed. We have got to be stealing possessions all night tonight and not giving up silly turnovers on passes through the hands, having our Forwards bring the ball up 3/4s of the floor, running the DANG HIGH POST PASS FROM RODNE.. (takes a moment and collects himself) y.

Come Lets Go GIF by DefyTV

3) Running some inside action to get guys going. Giving our Guards some easier look inside jumpshots and out F/C some good lanes for putbacks and dunks.
I’d run Franklin at their big guy Omier on the first three possessions and try to get him out and make Lawrence play big minutes in this game. Then Miami is basically relying on undersized Miller to clean the glass while they play without a rim protector.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’d run Franklin at their big guy Omier on the first three possessions and try to get him out and make Lawrence play big minutes in this game. Then Miami is basically relying on undersized Miller to clean the glass while they play without a rim protector.
Love that idea 💡

This is the kind of thing I want to see more of from Pastner. Where you’re like: "Yeah dawg run that back. I see ya!"

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
If this team doesn't come out in "max-effort" mode tonight, then there is no hope.

We should be diving into the stands for loose balls, bodies on the floor all night, scratching and clawing for this one.
This team needs a Harpring/Alvarado player who is regularly going into the stands for a ball against any and all opposition. Really, we need a team of those guys every season.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
This team needs a Harpring/Alvarado player who is regularly going into the stands for a ball against any and all opposition. Really, we need a team of those guys every season.
I would take Harpring and Alvarado right now- Bet Matt can still play!

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I would take Harpring and Alvarado right now- Bet Matt can still play!
My family knows the Harprings, he coached me when I played peewee basketball back in elementary school. Matt's daughter can HOOP! She's my age (current High Schooler) and was our starting point guard. At that time she was so good she played in the boys league. She broke EVERYBODY'S ankles. Great shooter too.

Idk the last time I saw her but I've run into Matt a couple of times since. Obviously I've long since given up hoops and moved on to cross country. Katie plays girl's HS basketball at Marist. (which is where her dad went to HS.)

Last edited: