Mercer

Deleted member 2897

Tech is 6-0 in mid-week games. I know the "future" mid-week games are much more difficult. However, you can only play the games scheduled... and mid-week, we're perfect. FACT!

Those future highly ranked opponents (UGA and Auburn) will be playing their mid-week starters (not weekend) too. At this point (without looking up UGA/Auburn mid-week numbers)... I'll put Amos Willingham up against any "4th" starter on any staff. All that to say... if we succeed at these mid-week contests, we'll slowly see the wins and the RPI creep up. That will matter come NCAA selection time.

So... 7 losses. 2 v UCLA (no doubt elite); 2 @ Miami (maybe really good); 1 v Richmond, Northwestern, UVA. Should probably be only 4 or 5 losses; but we've won a couple really late too.

How bad (or good) is it right now? LOUISVILLE could prove to be the weekend that actually answers that question. One thing I'm certain of... the 2019 version of Tech baseball is the best we've had in many years. They have the roster and the ability to win any game anywhere. They need to start actually applying the boot to the throat of this schedule and not letting up. Call it confidence... call it "grit" (a term Coach Ramsey uses)... call it "the expectation." Whatever it takes... go to Louisville with purpose and WIN! ...if that happens 2019 is something to really get excited about.

After Louisville are home series against a bad Notre Dame team and an iffy UNC game. As long as we win at least 1 against Louisville, those 2 series to me will tell us potentially more. We have to win 4 or 5 of those 6.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But what has our pitching ERA climbed to?

Lack of pitching depth is what is killing this team. No reliable bullpen closers (you really need 2 solid guys out there at least, and Hughes has been a disaster recently...Gibson has been a disaster period...and everyone else is either great one time and then a complete disaster the next time out....Tristan was solid last time out which was his first appearance in a while, but beyond that <shrugs>

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
We rank 1st in the ACC in team batting average, at .299.

We rank 7th in pitching, 4.02 team ERA.

( in conference play only, batting is better/pitching is worse. 1st @ .333, 10th @ 5.70)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We rank 1st in the ACC in team batting average, at .299.

We rank 7th in pitching, 4.02 team ERA.

( in conference play only, batting is better/pitching is worse. 1st @ .333, 10th @ 5.70)
That ACC ERA is a usual Danny Hall team ERA...and good for a bottom half of the league finish.

It will take superb starting pitching to be competitive this weekend (and to overcome Hall)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
After Louisville are home series against a bad Notre Dame team and an iffy UNC game. As long as we win at least 1 against Louisville, those 2 series to me will tell us potentially more. We have to win 4 or 5 of those 6.

I wouldn't consider UNC as an "iffy" team quite yet. Also, the "bad" Notre Dame team won 2/3 against Clemson. I agree that we need to win 4 or 5 of those games, but I don't think it's going to be easy. It never is with a Tech team these days...

Deleted member 2897

I wouldn't consider UNC as an "iffy" team quite yet. Also, the "bad" Notre Dame team won 2/3 against Clemson. I agree that we need to win 4 or 5 of those games, but I don't think it's going to be easy. It never is with a Tech team these days...

Notre Dame is 7-10 overall. We can’t lose to that team. 6 of UNCs 16 wins are by less than 2 runs...and I listed them - many of them are against small schools like UNC-W and NCA&T. We can’t lose to that team. If these series were on the road, I’d feel differently, but we have to beat these teams.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is 7-10 overall. We can’t lose to that team. 6 of UNCs 16 wins are by less than 2 runs...and I listed them - many of them are against small schools like UNC-W and NCA&T. We can’t lose to that team. If these series were on the road, I’d feel differently, but we have to beat these teams.
I’ve watched Hall teams lose series to losing teams such as Pitt, BC, VPI&SU, and Norte Dame in recent years. Anything is possible with a Hall coached teams. The only real hope is for a good starter to go 7 plus innings so we minimize reliance on an unreliable bullpen and coaching.

Deleted member 2897

I’ve watched Hall teams lose series to losing teams such as Pitt, BC, VPI&SU, and Norte Dame in recent years. Anything is possible with a Hall coached teams. The only real hope is for a good starter to go 7 plus innings so we minimize reliance on an unreliable bullpen and coaching.

Yep, which is why even if we get swept by Louisville I’m not going to pack the season in. It’s the games like the Notre Dames and the North Carolinas of the world at home that will tell me if we’re really turning a corner or not.