Mercer @ GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Mercer. They beat UGAg twice this year.

Mercer @111 RPI mostly because 12 of their games have been against really weak teams (RPI>200). Good season summary here http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Mercer

Which pitcher will get developed on the mound tonight? Ben S unless still hurt? Pretty depressing otherwise - maybe throw Datoc out there? At the half way point in the season, it's time to work more on developing the Fr and So. If a pitcher is a Sr, he's had the time to develop and it either has or hasn't happened. Who ever gets the start, I'd only expect a few innings and give everyone a couple of innings work so they are ready for UVa this weekend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, Nuke....let some of these younger pitchers develop. Or, put Cole Pitts out there and move Paar into a starters role on Saturdays. Pitts certainly looks to me like he needs something, as his performances in league games has been, er, less than what we need on Saturdays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I still think Paar is better than our Saturday starter, and tonight's start is reinforcing that opinion in spades.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally, I still think Paar is better than our Saturday starter, and tonight's start is reinforcing that opinion in spades.

After 7 and 91-57 (65% strikes) kind of hard to disagree tonight. But Parr really struggled early on in the season. It'll all work out by crunch time at the end of the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT wins 4-3. We didn't f around. Put in Z Ryan to shut them down and win. (Shelton came in a for a batter, gave up a hit and was APPROPRIATELY pulled.)

Story is Parr - 4 SO 1 walk, 101 pitches and 65 strikes. Best game at GT.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
4 errors in the game doesn't look good. I guess it's mostly because Smitty was playing 2B? Still.. I hope we've made all the errors today and saved nothing up for UVA.. Mercer are good (better than UGAg), so this is still a good win. Parr was good, and should make his way into the weekend rotation. Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The fact that Wade Bailey couldn't go at second shifted a bunch of infield players around....Smitty went from 1st to 2nd, and Brandon Gold went form 3rd to 1st, and at least two of the issues were Gold at first. Smitty had one and Connor Justice had one at SS (I guess he didn't want to be left out!). The only play that really bothered me though was Peurifoy's non error in RF which allowed them to score their third run (iirc) and threaten to tie the game...sounded like it should have been caught for the 3rd out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
..., and yes, Paar was superb...not just tonight, but in last week's midweek start vs Georgia State AND in his relief stint against VPI&SU over the weekend. Three straight excellent outings for Paar, and his control is back. He talked about it on WREK in the post-game show (and by the way, I LOVE the job our guys do at WREK calling baseball games, they are the boss!)...but Paar said early in the year his mechanics were a bit off which caused him to lose velocity on his fast ball, which made him afraid to throw it for strikes because it was a sitting duck. Now he has his mechanics straightened out and he has only walked 2 guys in the last 14 innings (something like that) after 20 walks in his first 30 innings.

I think he is ready for the Saturday role. Meanwhile the guy who is pitching on Saturdays needs to have a bit of an easier time with some of the midweek opponents and maybe we can show a little more patience with him compared to having to yank him in the 2nd inning of ACC games because we can't afford to fall too far behind. Pitts has good stuff, but needs to get his head and his arm right, and maybe more pitches in midweek action would help him more than the pressure of ACC starts. All imho, of course.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a good win with a jumbled IF. I agree that Parr should pitch Saturday's - not this weekend but starting with BC?

6-0 against Ga teams. Not bad, but none are top 25.

This weekend against UVa is massive. We win 1, I'm ok. We win the series and that is great. I'll figure out later in the week why UVa is not so good so far this season (pitching?, fielding?, batting?). Tonight, just enjoying another mid-week win. Our RPI is still 13th, so despite my bitching about the pitching, we are doing a lot right. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Georgia-Tech

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
Just a good win with a jumbled IF. I agree that Parr should pitch Saturday's - not this weekend but starting with BC?

6-0 against Ga teams. Not bad, but none are top 25.

This weekend against UVa is massive. We win 1, I'm ok. We win the series and that is great. I'll figure out later in the week why UVa is not so good so far this season (pitching?, fielding?, batting?). Tonight, just enjoying another mid-week win. Our RPI is still 13th, so despite my bitching about the pitching, we are doing a lot right. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Georgia-Tech

UGA was Top 25 when we beat them on 3/31.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA was Top 25 when we beat them on 3/31.

UGAg is all reputation and not worth a warm bucket of piss. Their highest RPI this year was 85th. Coaches poll had them as high as 38th and CBN as high as 18th. But those polls are based on something other than current performance. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Georgia

Don't get me wrong, I like anyone who beats them. Including Mercer!