Memorial Day: a day for somber reflection

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Epmg4ekWwAEShmU.jpeg

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not trying to be negative on a beautiful post but just want to share a pet peeve of mine. Over the years, at Memorial Day picnics, concerts, and in church services, someone wants to recognize our veterans with a round of applause, or even ask them to stand for recognition.

Memorial Day is for honoring the dead. It is their day. It is not Veterans Day or armed forces day or any other occasion in which we might give restaurant discounts to veterans or any other recognition of those who have served or who currently serve.

Memorial Day is a day of solemn remembrance. Thank you for sharing and forgive me for my rant about those who I think miss the point of it.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
At our local Memorial Day celebration, the keynote speaker said: "Armed Forces Day is for those who wear the uniform. Veterans Day is for those who have taken off the uniform. Memorial Day is for those who didn't get the chance to take off the uniform." Not many dry eyes as he spoke about it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
At our local Memorial Day celebration, the keynote speaker said: "Armed Forces Day is for those who wear the uniform. Veterans Day is for those who have taken off the uniform. Memorial Day is for those who didn't get the chance to take off the uniform." Not many dry eyes as he spoke about it.
That’s perfectly said.

Poodletop

Georgia Tech Fan
This happened back in the early 90’s when I was still fairly young. I worked with a guy we called Old Joe because, well, he was pretty old and his name was Joe. He was a nice guy and had been a Marine during WW2. A few of us were in the lunch room one noon and a new hire came in to have his lunch. He was about 50 or so and had an unusual last name. Joe mentioned that he had had a friend with that same name back in the Marines. New guy said his father had been a Marine but had been killed in the war. Joe literally dropped his lunch and asked the guy for his father’s full name, hometown etc. Turned out that it was Joe’s friend and they had gone in on the same landing boat in the first wave at Iwo Jima. They wished each other luck and Joe’s friend was killed shortly thereafter. New guy was just a baby at the time and never knew his father and was raised by his grandmother. But Joe was able to tell new guy that his father had been a good man and a good Marine. Not a dry eye in the lunch room that day. Small world.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I’m not trying to be negative on a beautiful post but just want to share a pet peeve of mine. Over the years, at Memorial Day picnics, concerts, and in church services, someone wants to recognize our veterans with a round of applause, or even ask them to stand for recognition.

Memorial Day is for honoring the dead. It is their day. It is not Veterans Day or armed forces day or any other occasion in which we might give restaurant discounts to veterans or any other recognition of those who have served or who currently serve.

Memorial Day is a day of solemn remembrance. Thank you for sharing and forgive me for my rant about those who I think miss the point of it.
Amen!!! Agree 💯%

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This happened back in the early 90’s when I was still fairly young. I worked with a guy we called Old Joe because, well, he was pretty old and his name was Joe. He was a nice guy and had been a Marine during WW2. A few of us were in the lunch room one noon and a new hire came in to have his lunch. He was about 50 or so and had an unusual last name. Joe mentioned that he had had a friend with that same name back in the Marines. New guy said his father had been a Marine but had been killed in the war. Joe literally dropped his lunch and asked the guy for his father’s full name, hometown etc. Turned out that it was Joe’s friend and they had gone in on the same landing boat in the first wave at Iwo Jima. They wished each other luck and Joe’s friend was killed shortly thereafter. New guy was just a baby at the time and never knew his father and was raised by his grandmother. But Joe was able to tell new guy that his father had been a good man and a good Marine. Not a dry eye in the lunch room that day. Small world.
Okay... I admit it...I teared up just reading this.