McCamish Pavilion water damage from last summer

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone have the lowdown on the water damage we sustained at McCamish last summer, the damage that necessitated replacing the floor? With all the talk of our budget situation I suppose I'm a bit concerned with state of our facilities overall, and maintaining that. It really concerns me that a building which is effectively brand new has an issue somehow? We have enough to pay for without having to address stuff like this.

Appreciate any news on this.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone have the lowdown on the water damage we sustained at McCamish last summer, the damage that necessitated replacing the floor? With all the talk of our budget situation I suppose I'm a bit concerned with state of our facilities overall, and maintaining that. It really concerns me that a building which is effectively brand new has an issue somehow? We have enough to pay for without having to address stuff like this.

Appreciate any news on this.
Unlike the old AMC which had water damage in the ROOF my buddy in the GTAA tells me this water damage was different and came BELOW the floor. For those who don't know, the court in McCamish isn't portable, it is literally THE FLOOR. It apparently had something to do with the soil below or something. Nothing too serious or dangerous though. They got rid of the floor, fixed the foundation and made it so it likely won't happen again, and put in the new floor. Next year they'll add the Tech gold back to the court, they couldn't do it this year bc of how sudden the situation happened.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This might be the same issue with the game delayed at O’Keefe during this past Volleybee Season? The immediate response was “the leaky floor was due to being an old building.”

slugboy

Staff member
And, speaking from intense personal experience, insurance Co will do everything they can to minimize how much they actually cover.

That's why insurance companies make billions of monies.

:cautious:
“Our adjuster has found you a used middle school court floor for $10k, and that’s what we’ll cover”

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Unlike the old AMC which had water damage in the ROOF my buddy in the GTAA tells me this water damage was different and came BELOW the floor. For those who don't know, the court in McCamish isn't portable, it is literally THE FLOOR. It apparently had something to do with the soil below or something. Nothing too serious or dangerous though. They got rid of the floor, fixed the foundation and made it so it likely won't happen again, and put in the new floor. Next year they'll add the Tech gold back to the court, they couldn't do it this year bc of how sudden the situation happened.
Does your friend inside the AA have any more details than damage below the floor? Did he say it is was a broken pipe under the floor? Was there old storm sewer pipe that broke? High water table where there wasn't an underslab drainage system to handle the water that wasn't there due to it being an older facility? Inquiring facilities engineering minds want to know? :)

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Does your friend inside the AA have any more details than damage below the floor? Did he say it is was a broken pipe under the floor? Was there old storm sewer pipe that broke? High water table where there wasn't an underslab drainage system to handle the water that wasn't there due to it being an older facility? Inquiring facilities engineering minds want to know? :)
He’s not entirely sure because he’s not part of the GTAA who were on the repair project but he says he heard it was a pipe, as well as the foundation below the building. Both have apparently been fixed.