MBB Stats Update through 70% of Regular Season

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Team stats through Feb. 4th.

It's not pretty

• Rebounding and blocks seem to be our "strengths".
  • Outside the Top 300 in forced turnovers per game.
  • In the Top 100 in 6 of the 27 stats
    • 3 of the 6 are rebound related.
  • Best rating is #53 in blocks per game.

1707231069576.png

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Key stat - bench points per game - #2 in the ACC. Basically we lack really high end players at this point and have a collection of decent players but no one who can really dominate game after game.

The delta between our #1 player and our number 7/8 player isn't very significant, they are all ok but none are great. That may change next year as the 2 freshmen mature.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Key stat - bench points per game - #2 in the ACC. Basically we lack really high end players at this point and have a collection of decent players but no one who can really dominate game after game.

The delta between our #1 player and our number 7/8 player isn't very significant, they are all ok but none are great. That may change next year as the 2 freshmen mature.

IMO the bench points stat is more a product of a quirk in CDS' lineups. Specifically his tendency to use a 5th starter for a short amount of time that scores very little.

Examples from our recent games

NCSU - Dowuona started and played 7 minutes with 0 points.
UNC - Dowuona started, played 17 minutes with 0 points.
VT - Sacko started, played 6 minutes, 0 points
Pitt - Sackp started, played 12 minutes, 0 points.
UVA - Dowuona started, played 7 minutes, 0 points.

I believe the only games that really break that trend are @Duke and Hawaii where Gapare scored and got 8/9.

Looks like CDS decided early that Coleman and Sturdivants roles this year were coming off the bench and for whatever reason doesn't want to buck that. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, or has much effect at all, is a different conversation. But most games we basically start a bench player and have a starter coming off the bench which results in us having the #2 bench scoring despite being 12th in overall scoring.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
IMO the bench points stat is more a product of a quirk in CDS' lineups. Specifically his tendency to use a 5th starter for a short amount of time that scores very little.

Examples from our recent games

NCSU - Dowuona started and played 7 minutes with 0 points.
UNC - Dowuona started, played 17 minutes with 0 points.
VT - Sacko started, played 6 minutes, 0 points
Pitt - Sackp started, played 12 minutes, 0 points.
UVA - Dowuona started, played 7 minutes, 0 points.

I believe the only games that really break that trend are @Duke and Hawaii where Gapare scored and got 8/9.

Looks like CDS decided early that Coleman and Sturdivants roles this year were coming off the bench and for whatever reason doesn't want to buck that. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, or has much effect at all, is a different conversation. But most games we basically start a bench player and have a starter coming off the bench which results in us having the #2 bench scoring despite being 12th in overall scoring.
I think we are saying the same thing. We really don't have any studs that will carry the team, rather we have about 7 guys that are all capable players but the separation in their ability isn't so great that any one individual must be on the court 35 minutes.

As the season has played on George has become close to the one must be on the court guy but as a freshmen who showed up the week before classes he likely hasn't had the conditioning program to actually be on the floor 35min/game and perform at a high level the whole time.

I actually like that CDS brings Sturdivant and Coleman off the bench. They are solid contributors in the minutes they play.. I don't think having them play extended minutes in every game would add much more value than how they are used.

You are spot on that we don't really have a 5th starter. I believe if Terry had been healthy all preseason and season he would have been the 5th starter.